HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+24
tart11
BallinIsMyHobby12
THEGRUBB
Kassius123
basketball_atr
jumpman
wingsonmyback
DAZENMASTER
simple touch5
Youngin11
Xavier Rimrocker
Brooklynne
JamesJ
thestar
Peel Fan
coach89
jumpshotta
panathas
wcbasketball
CoachImgrund
tfb-prospect
highflya
bronbron23
S.S
28 posters

Bill Crothers secondary school

S.S
    Freshman

Number of posts : 140
    Registration date : 2008-11-01

Bill Crothers secondary school Empty Bill Crothers secondary school

Post by S.S Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:23 pm

How good are theyy??
    S.S
    Freshman

Bill Crothers secondary school Empty Re: Bill Crothers secondary school

Post by S.S Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:42 pm

they beat father michael mcgivney 68-36 and they beat unionville 50-29
    leading scorer (shemar anglin 11)vs unionville (jack graham 14) vs father michael mcgivney
    bronbron23
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-08-18

Post by bronbron23 Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:47 pm

there okay but still no competition to vaughn
    S.S
    Freshman

Post by S.S Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:52 pm

It will probably be them in the final's but vaughn will be hard to beatt
    highflya
    Freshman

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2008-08-16

Post by highflya Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:05 pm

[quote="S.S"]It will probably be them in the final's but vaughn will be hard to beatt[/quote]

Can't count out St. Theresa Liseux and St. Jean de Brebeuf.
    S.S
    Freshman

Post by S.S Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:10 pm

yahh those teams are crazyy too york region is actually harddd people dont even notice how good it is but they dont have alot of high caliber teams like toronto though
    tfb-prospect
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2008-11-28

Post by tfb-prospect Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:27 pm

does anyone no wut crothers roster is??
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2008-08-04

Post by CoachImgrund Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:57 pm

This probably will be the last year Bill Crothers can make a run for a York Region Championship.

It is a sports-oriented school that has students from out of its immediate area (in fact, all of York Region). It actively recruits in York Region for students to attend it's school for sports purposes.
    S.S
    Freshman

Post by S.S Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:36 pm

it actually doesnt recruit it just tell kids if they want to make a living in sports and have an active life style go there. but u dont see kevin panos ,duane notice or any of those incredible players going there so all they have is kids that want to play basketball
    S.S
    Freshman

Post by S.S Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:38 pm

they won today 60-31 vs markville
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:42 pm

The problem will be how will the York Region handle this situation. I agree it is a major advantage for Crothers to compete right away due to the program at the school but where will they be put?
    The issue here is that this school brings athletes from out of region specifically for sports. Let's be honest, it is no different than some GTA high schools who have been getting away with the practice for years without any penalty, especially in basketball. The problem is that you are now taking away a kids opportunity to participate ever at the high school level versus allowing a school that will be on a non equal playing field against York Region schools in the very near future. I will say that Bill Crothers will be a major powerhouse in a very short amount of time due to the recruiting being done there and that certainly is not fair to the other schools involved.They also have facilities that we can only dream of.
    How will this be handled though? Will Bill Crothers never be allowed to participate at any high school league or will they be put in another league such as the Private school? It is a tough situation. There will be arguements on both sides. Is this decision to not allow them to compete at York region in the future a done deal or is it something that will be brought up? This will be a very interesting situation.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Post by wcbasketball Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:43 pm

[quote="S.S"]it actually doesnt recruit it just tell kids if they want to make a living in sports and have an active life style go there. but u dont see kevin panos ,duane notice or any of those incredible players going there so all they have is kids that want to play basketball[/quote]
    Not yet! This is the first year for this school. Let's see what happens within the next three years.
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Number of posts : 975
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by panathas Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:50 pm

Bill Crowthers is the Birchmount Park of York Region, with regards to elite athletes, NOT facilities. Is it true that they have 4 regulation size gyms?

45 Tournaments hosted
    25 former players at post-secondary programs
    25 tourney championships
    22 All stars
    -----------------------------------------------
    10th SENIOR WINTER CLASSIC CHAMPIONS: St Marcellinus 85 Heart Lake 78
    9th JUNIOR WINTER CLASSIC CHAMPIONS: Campion 67 Xavier 63
    S.S
    Freshman

Post by S.S Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:55 pm

yahh there just like birchmountt and nobody makes a huge deal about them so there is actually no difference and they only have a big gym and 2 small gyms but there is a plyometric room and that is a big plus and birchmount been tearing up sports for everr look at there track and field athletes they kill it even wen there in ofsaa
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Post by wcbasketball Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:57 pm

In the East region, many schools have felt Birchmount Park is at a large advantage due to their BEAP program. The more elite athletes you bring in, the better your teams will be.Birchmount Park dominates in pretty much all girls sports and rarely, if ever has a weak team.
    I heard that Crothers has it all and I have seen the outside facilities for that school and it is nuts. They have separate soccer fields with real nets and football fields with professional goalposts and there are at least 5- 6 different fields. The size of the outside facilities is huge.
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Post by CoachImgrund Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:58 pm

Panathas: As far as I know, they have two full regulation-size basketball courts. There may be more, but I just caught two when I was there!

WC: Unfortunately, the York Region Athletic Association headquarters are in Bill Crothers so I can't see that happening.

It's a shame because, frankly, they shouldn't be allowed to participate in the YRAA league. It goes against everything OFSAA and high school sports stands for. It's true that some GTA schools do recruit, but this recruiting is done MUCH MORE in the open and they are not just winning basketball, but EVERY other sport too.

For example, in volleyball, they had their Junior Boy's team play tier one - they placed third, in the SENIOR division!

High school sports is about a level playing field, and this definitely is not happening here. They're in their FIRST year, and walking away with everything.

If something is not done at the end of this season, this will put a real tarnish on sports in York Region.
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Post by panathas Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:58 pm

I grew up in Scarborough, and if I remember correctly, for the longest time Birchmount Pk athletes from the elite athlete program were not allowed to participate in their respective sports.

I could be wrong though, I heard a lot of rumours and not a lot of fact

45 Tournaments hosted
    25 tourney championships
    22 All stars
    S.S
    Freshman

Post by S.S Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:09 pm

thats why they play there juniors in a senior division so they make it fairr if they won ofsaa then i would say that they shouldnt play but 3rd in the division isnt that great but its only the first year as i said we would have to wait.
    jumpshotta
    Freshman

Number of posts : 22

Post by jumpshotta Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:10 pm

Several Elite basketball players got accepted to Bill Crothers. They didn't end up going to the school, because the school didn't provide transportation.
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Post by panathas Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:11 pm

They also have school year-round.

45 Tournaments hosted
    25 tourney championships
    22 All stars
    S.S
    Freshman

Post by S.S Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:15 pm

yah but that doesnt matter cause york region rules say you cant start practice for any teams until september and if i had school in august i would be pissed off to the max
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Post by CoachImgrund Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:19 pm

The York Region rules ALSO said that the boys soccer championships MUST be played on a neutral field - this year, they were held at Bill Crothers while they had a team in the finals! Rules mean nothing unless they are enforced.

As you can see, when it comes to this school, they aren't.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Post by wcbasketball Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:29 pm

Coach Imgrund, that is insane! If the junior boys volleyball team is third in the senior division the there will be a major problem. I have been against the idea of allowing athletes to be recruited at that school and then being able to particiapte against us regular joe shmos. This will be a major problem in the next two-three years and then what happens? Does everybody in York Region play for second place?
    I was under the idea that this school was created for students who are going to look for a future in the athletic field such as trainers, physiotherapists etc. I didn't think it would be to destroy York Region sports,which is exactly what will happen.
    In terms of Birchmount, I coach the girls team at Churchill. Birchmount Park dominates girls sports and the rules seem to never apply to this school. For example, Birchmount had a player who attends the school whose BEAP program sport was basketball. She lived out of region so she cannot play on the school team. She played two games in our league as her name was on the pending list for OFSAA from our league convenor. This means that she cannot play any games until she is cleared.She played against us and Leacock, even though she was still not cleared. Eventually she was deemed ineligible to play yet Birchmount was not penalized for having an illegal player for the two games. For some reason that only they can comprehend, a committee decided to not punish Birchmount for any games which leads me to believe that Birchmount has guidelines, not rules. That very same week, Pickerings football team forfeited three games for an ineligible player. Different rules for diffrent teams.The same thing will happen when it comes to Crothers.
    Crothers will eventually take most of the top players from the fellow York Region schools and the games will be a debacle. I think that there should be transfer rules for that school, just like the rest of us.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Post by wcbasketball Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:32 pm

I forgot to mention that an athlete is not suppose to compete in their BEAP determined sport unless it is Swimming, Track and Cross Country. That means though that some incredible athletes can still play football , basketball etc. Look at the results of the East Region Cross country championships this past fall and you will see nothing but Birchmount athletes.
    S.S
    Freshman

Post by S.S Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:39 pm

so why doesnt anybody do something about that i actually think that no grade 9 player will transfer from there school to play ball at bill crothers because if they have all of there friends at there school why would they for me personally i wouldnt do that

Current date/time is Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:59 am