HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+8
stevenash
eastern#1
yaaace coach Ox
stangscoach
Coach Clement
forreal
BIGBALLER123
bearscoach
12 posters

Jamie Liang's 57 points

bearscoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 108
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Jamie Liang's 57 points Empty Jamie Liang's 57 points

Post by bearscoach Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:17 pm

Alexandra Hart, while playing at the Crawford Academy four years ago, scored 54 points and it was hailed as the most points scored in one game in the GTA in recent history.
    Jamie Liang's 57 points today in the St. Joseph's College Wellesley Tournament breaks that record. She hit 8 threes in a row!
    BIGBALLER123
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2010-11-06

Jamie Liang's 57 points Empty Re: Jamie Liang's 57 points

Post by BIGBALLER123 Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:41 pm

57!!! Jamies getting it donee, this girl can definitely play Smile
    forreal
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2010-11-07

Post by forreal Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:14 am

Dr Norman Bethune CI (14) : Jamie Liang 10 points

David & Mary Thomson CI (54) : Jasmine Harris 20 points
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:58 am

Thomson is a top team and obviously focused their gameplan on stopping Jamie.

It does detract in any way from what she has achieved this season. She has had one of the greatest seasons in recent memory if not all-time in GTA basketball!

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement
    stangscoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2009-12-22

Post by stangscoach Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:56 am

Jamie Liang has had a great season.

Last edited by stangscoach on Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:00 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : No longer relevant)
    yaaace coach Ox
    Freshman

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2010-09-28

Post by yaaace coach Ox Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:40 am

Jamie Lang is an alright player, however, you can't mention her name with the likes of Alexandra Hart and Jasmine Harris. Both girls are in a different league then Jamie Lang. 57 points is a huge accomplishment, however, I don't see Jamie dominating a game like Alex and Jasmine can. Where is Jamie going next year?
    eastern#1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2010-02-28

Post by eastern#1 Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:17 pm

stangscoach....your post is ridiculous. why would you say they "humiliated bethune....and it could have been way worse"? WHO CARES. obviously thompson was a better team. and yaaacecoach..."shes an alright player"? id say she is pretty damn good. why doesnt everyone just let the girl play, on her team, with her friends?? coming from two "coaches" i found both of these posts disrespectful to jaime and immature really.
    stevenash
    Freshman

Number of posts : 249
    Registration date : 2009-10-19

Post by stevenash Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:14 pm

Jaime is an excellent player and more importantly a very nice person. Go Jaime!!
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Post by bearscoach Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:13 pm

She will stay in Toronto and go to a Canadian University.
    I have been coaching for a long time and Jamie is the best player I have ever coached. Remember, no one transfers to Bethune to play girls' basketball. All the same, the Bears with Jamie, have made it to the Quad A semis the last two years. I wonder how well she could have played on Eastern, Thomson or Downsview.
    Eastern #1, you have summed it up. Thank you for your kind words about a tremendous kid.
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by tart11 Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:04 pm

the word "coach" should be like the word "doctor"... only be used by classified individuals who have been trained within their respective fields.

Anyone can jump on a team and start calling themselves a coach these days.
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Post by bearscoach Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:24 pm

tart11,
    I understand what you are saying but to whom is your message directed?
    tart11
    Senior

Post by tart11 Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:18 am

My message is to the person who is calling himself yaaace coach ox.

1) Why would you even try to criticize a kid?

2) Anyone can volunteer to coach on a rep team like yaaace. No credentials whatsoever is needed to coach, or rather volunteer on a rep team. They will take anyone to act as a coach cause they need bodies to pretend they are coaching kids. If you are a yaaace volunteer you can't mention yourself among the real coaches.

Do you get the comparison?

gave
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 357
    Registration date : 2008-07-24

Post by gave Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:29 am

[quote="tart11"]My message is to the person who is calling himself yaaace coach ox.

1) Why would you even try to criticize a kid?

2) Anyone can volunteer to coach on a rep team like yaaace. No credentials whatsoever is needed to coach, or rather volunteer on a rep team. They will take anyone to act as a coach cause they need bodies to pretend they are coaching kids. If you are a yaaace volunteer you can't mention yourself among the real coaches.

Do you get the comparison?

[/quote]

1. For any player to score 57pts is a great accomplishment-no matter the competition level!

2. tart11, you have your facts backwards -

To call yourself a:

-Yaaace coach
    -SBA coach
    -or any rep coach you must be a certified coach...

Some school basketball coaches are volunteers...

Congrats to all the teams that are heading to their respective OFSAA next week and good luck to the teams that are still fighting for their spots!!!
    tart11
    Senior

Post by tart11 Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:41 am

certified or not.....a real coach has developed his craft over time, has experience and integrity and understands that criticizing kids is not a good option on a public forum.
    yaaace coach Ox
    Freshman

Post by yaaace coach Ox Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:54 pm

First of all I'm not criticizing Jamie at all. I'm sure she a great kid and a wonderful to be or have around. I'm sure she has good grades to be going to a Canadian University. I'm sure she would of been a wonderful addition if Jamie went to Eastern, Thompson or Downsview. The only reason why I said something was because Alexandra name was mention and the posts I saw after. I said Jamie made a huge accomplishment this year by setting the scoring record by scoring 57 points in a game, not many girls can do that so Jamie can play ball, however, faced with real competition like playing a team like Thompson she was only able to score 10 points. But like Alex, Jamie doesn't have the support that Jasmine has at Thompson so I know how hard it was for Jamie to do what she did this year. Alexandra had to go through the same thing while she attended Crawford Academy. I personally worked with Alexandra on her game and brought her on one of my boys teams at that time to help develop her skill and her confidence because I knew she was something special when I first seen her before anyone knew who she was. I was also there when Alex scored 54 points when she that record at that time. Anyone who knows me knows that I helped Alexandra get to were she is right now playing in Texas. So I would consider myself as a coach. So tart 11 get your facts straight before you decide to criticize me if you don't know who I am. If your talking about integrity, look at the comment you said about the yaaace organization, you couldn't be more wrong with what you said. By you trying to criticize me and the yaaace organization speaks volume about your coaching credentials. I never mean to disrespect Jamie, that wasn't my intention, however, I am in titled to my opinion. I will still use the word pretty good because of her height but some people are using the word great to her name. I think there is other players out there in high school right now that should have the word great next to them and I'm sure some people agree with that. Jasmine Harris is a great player, that is just one example, there many more out there I could also mention.
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Post by bearscoach Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Ox,
    Just one thing about Alex, she is not playing in Texas. She is playing D II at University of Arkansas at Monticello. In 2010, she played at Erie Community College. Before that, she played D I with the University of Southern Illinois Salukis for part of a season and then she left.
    I don't think she ever played in Texas.
    Be careful about telling people to get their facts straight.
    On another note, any player who is playing on a poor team with no other scoring threat and who is double teamed, will score less than a player on a strong team with many other scoring threats.
    I question whether some of these great players would be as great if they were playing for a team like Bethune or in Alex's time, the Crawford Academy. I also want to know if these great players would stick around and take their lumps on a poor team or would they transfer to go to a strong team so they could beat up on the lesser lights surrounded by others who have transferred for the same reason.
    Alex and Jamie, much to their credit, both stayed the course and remained at their proper school and did not transfer so they could surround themselves with the best. It is for this reason that the scoring feats of Alex and Jamie must be recognized for what they are.

Last edited by bearscoach on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)
    yaaace coach Ox
    Freshman

Post by yaaace coach Ox Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:58 am

Bearscoach,
    Yes your right, I ment to say that Alex is playing in Arkansas Monticello this year. I know about the Erie Community College she played at last year and about playing in Southern Illinois the year before. No she didn't play in Texas at all I will admit i was wrong about that part, I was thinking about something else. Fact, Alexandra did transfer to Mother Teresa her final year in high school to try to play on a team were she could at least have secondary help that could score so she wouldn't be the main target, however, the catholic school board didn't allow her to play that year. Bearscoach, I've witness Alex get double teamed in games and still find that will to score because of her hunger and drive. Alexandra could score her points both on offense and getting steals on defense and still find away to get to the line, so it's all about the player within her self to want to score, or the "coach" has to be able to find a way to free up the double team when it occurs. I'm aware that if a girl who would play on a good team wouldn't need to score 57 points in a game because she have the help they would need to be able to pass the ball around to work on other parts of their game, bearscoach I know that part. If Jamie scored 57 points lets just say at Notre Dame or Downsview and not pass the ball, I don't think her teammates would be too happy with her at the end because she wouldn't be looked at as a team player. I've witness girls who are good or alright players on their respective school teams with no help and see them flourish on to their respective school post secondary college or University teams. I hope Jamie is one of those players who could stand out next year when she attends University. how could we not recognized Jamie's 57 point performance. That was huge. I was hoping that record would stay with Alexandra, however, records are ment to be broken so con grads to Jamie for being able to achieve that because not many girls can. I hope she will continue that drive next year when Jamie attends University. Let me guess, you are the coach at Bethune this year?
    Brazilian Blur
    Freshman

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2010-10-31

Post by Brazilian Blur Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:20 pm

I believe that Jaime is a tremendous player and deserves the full credit for her achievements during the last three seasons. She has played without any sort of top notch player so it has been her against opponents, over and over again. It is a credit to her coach, her teammates for understanding and Jaime for being this successful.
    I will however bring up a couple of points that can support some issues that have been made regarding this topic. Alexandra Hart scored at will no matter how many players were covering her. She was a kid with a determination with no give up involved. She never scored less than 10 points in a game. On the other hand, Churchill held Jaime to three points in a league game two seasons ago and never employed any double teams at all. Jaime played pretty much the whole game. I was informed this by a few people who participated in the game. The system the coach at Churchill employed was very different than anything I have read on here. I understand it to a point as I was told this by some of the players involved in the game along with a parent but the best person to fully explain it is the actual coach, who is not at Churchill anymore. Again no double teams or triple teams. I also believe it is the only game that Jaime was not the leading scorer.
    This is not a shot at Jaime but it goes to show that she has went through the situation of being held to a very low total, but she bounced back and has never been held in check like that again. She has never pointed the finger at teammates for not picking her rough game up that day and that shows character. Her average points that season was over 20, last year over 25 and certainly this season over 30. I cannot see many players going through this and not deciding to transfer to another school. In some cases, students have transferred or tried to and that includes Alexandra Hart.
    I am going by what I was told but I have no reason to believe that they are not true as it was a very big accomplishment for the Churchill players. I was not at that game nor have I spoken to any coach at Churchill so if the facts are off, please make sure to correct me. I mentioned this scenario to prove a point and settle a disagreement on her but 3 points seems like it is impossible for a kid like Jaime.
    Jaime will play basketball in university here in Toronto and from the marks her coach brought up, she will be successful. It is not all about basketball with this kid. She will be a sucessfull young women in the real world also. Just like she bounced back from the bad game two years ago, she will lead by example. I can already tell her coach is very proud of her so why can't we do the same. Don't attack the player.
    I think that it is great to coach and support these terrific student/athletes but I must admit something that has bothered me throughout this posting regarding YAAACE COACH OX. You have the right to your opinion , as all of us do but I have an issue with you saying, in your own words "Anyone who knows me knows that I helped Alexandra get to where she is right now playing in Texas". I have an issue with you bragging and my bigger issue is that you were so far off as to where she ended up. In fact, Jaime's coach had to straighten out your large mistake. You ask Tart 11 to get his facts straight yet yours are brutally off. I hope you realize that as a coach and mentor it is not about us, no matter how much we guided a kid. It is about the kid themselves. I have yet to read Jaime's coach bragging about where he got her and I have heard he has done a ton for that kid. I found it sad that you brag about your affect on Alexandra yet you have no idea where she is right now. How can you boost to no end about yourself and when caught in it, you state that "I was thinking about something else". Very, very poor.
    Just my two cents! Alexandra and Jaime are great young ladies.
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Post by bearscoach Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:30 pm

As Jamie's coach, may we please let this thread end. Having spoken with her this morning, she made it clear to me that she loves basketball and loves only to compete. She didn't want any of this.
    For me, it was important to let people know about her accomplishment of the 57 points but for her, she could have done without it. She is such a humble young lady.
    Blur, one thing to remember, three seasons ago, Jamie was 15 when Churchill tied her up. She still managed to average 20 points that year as you said.

Last edited by bearscoach on Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Something to remember)
    yaaace coach Ox
    Freshman

Post by yaaace coach Ox Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:03 pm

Indeed, I agree with you bearscoach. This is gone a little to far now. I hope for nothing but the best for Jamie in the next coming years. Good luck too you Jamie. Blur, your entitled too your opinion too. If you read everything what I wrote and what Tarr wrote to me then you would know why I said what I said about myself with Alex. I am not bragging at all. I'm not going to get into this with you now, you decided to wait till now to write a post. I am a human being who is not perfect. I made a mistake by saying Texas and not Arkansas, so what, I wasn't as far off as your trying to claim. I really don't even know were this long.... Churchill story came from, it's irrelevant now because that was years ago.You want to talk about a team holding a 15 year old player to under 10 points back then playing senior basketball when Jamie could of been playing junior basketball at that time, good job. Jamie has grown since then as a basketball player and as a person. BLUR, good luck in what you are doing whatever that is. Time to blurrr this out because like i said, this has gone a little too far. Jamie, good luck next year when you play University ball I really mean that. I'm done!
    Brazilian Blur
    Freshman

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2010-10-31

Post by Brazilian Blur Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:56 pm

As usual, you decide to back track from comments and try to deflect the attention onto somebody else. Let me enlighten you on a few things as you are all over the place as per usual. You state that "I 'm not going to get into this with you now, you decide to wait till now to write a post". I wrote less than 2 hours after your latest blunder so your comment makes no sense. I felt it was important to defend Jamie as you were way out of line with your comparison comments.
    You also were on a full kick of bragging and boosting along with self back patting to make a point regarding Alexandra's success being attributed to your incredible ability. I still don't understand how you can say you got a kid into a program down south and then forget you got the wrong kid or situation. Then you say "I wasn't as far off as your trying to claim". What does that mean? Do you mean that a D2 University in Arkansas is not that far off from playing somewhere in Texas? Or are you talking geographically because that would be an irrelevant point to make.
    Regarding the Churchill situation I posted. If you actually read the post, it is far from irrelevant. If you read the post, you would notice that the point was made to show what type of positive and strong character Jamie has along with how hard she works. If you read the post, you would notice that I mentioned how she dealt with the situation in a mature and positive manner. Read it clearly because it is obvious you didn't. You then decide to try to take a swipe at me by making it seem like I was so cruel to post about a situation that Jamie made positive while she was a first year senior who was having a strong season. The fact that she was 15 years old shows even more how much character she has. I made this very very clear. I encourage you to read it again and you will see not a single word of criticism nor any cheap shots, such as the ones you provided. You made reference to her lack of success against top competition and then you decided to say that she is not in the same league as two other players. In your own words, you stated that "the only reason why I said something was because Alexandra name was mentioned and the posts I saw after". All the posts before your not well thought one only mentioned Alexandra's name as the person who held the previous record and some well deserved support and congratulations for Jamie. What in there would make you criticize Jamie? Nothing bad was said regarding Alexandra at all. You had zero reason to post comments like that other than to downplay Jamie's accomplishments which is very sad.
    It doesn't make you less of a person if you post on here and say that your comments were out of line and that you support Jamie in her future endeavors. Enough with the excuses, finger pointing and trying to find every way to deflect negative attention on somebody else. Oh by the way i love your "time to blurrr this out" piece. Very cute.
    The only truth to anything you have written is that this has gone too far. That is entirely your fault and even though I am responding, it is totally directed at you. Again, kind sir, please re-read my previous post and you will see that I 100% was showing positive vibes and support for Jamie.
    Jamie your a great kid who had a terrific season. Do not let anybody take that away from you. As in all areas of life, there will be haters and you just have to ignore them. I have read a lot of positive support for you on Hooptown including in this post. You have truly had one of the more amazing seasons in Toronto high school basketball history, male or female. 3 games of 50 or more points while maintaing a 93% average is nothing short of extraordinary. Good for you young lady.
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Post by bearscoach Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:14 pm

Congratulations to Jamie for having 2500 hits. Wow!
    Rick,
    Here is a true story.
    I was in the Dominican in March. I met female basketball players from Michigan. We were talking about ball and I mentioned Jamie. These girls knew of her feats as they follow HooptownGta all of the time. It was surprising.
    You are doing an amazing job with Hooptown and all of the basketball community owe you an enormous thank you!

Last edited by bearscoach on Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Incorrect grammar)
    flyhigh24
    Freshman

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2010-12-11

Post by flyhigh24 Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:23 pm

i would love to see jamie play in university basketball.
    does anyone know if she is playing basketball in university right now?

Current date/time is Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:04 am