HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+6
Peel Fan
actionjackson
mr_09
Coach Clement
bearscoach
HooptownGTA
10 posters

St. Joseph's Wellesley Tournament

HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5447
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

St. Joseph's Wellesley Tournament Empty St. Joseph's Wellesley Tournament

Post by HooptownGTA Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:11 am

St. Joseph's Wellesley Tournament
    October 29-30, 2010

Pool A: Bethune, Father Redmond, Marshal McLuhan
    Pool B: St. Joseph's, Loretto, Msrg. Johnson

Friday October 29th:
    Father Redmond 45 - Bethune 42 (Jamie Liang 37)
    St joseph's 75 (Kim Taylor 20) - Loretto 58

Saturday October 30th:
    Father Redmond 68 (Nicolette Weathes 34) - Marshal McLuhan 38 (Angelica Alfonso 25)
    St. Joseph's 59 (Cesarine Moundele 27) - Msrg. Johnson 47 (Cassandra Pinetta 27)
    Marshal McLuhan 47 (Angelica Alfonso 14) - Bethune 46 (Jamie Liang 33)
    2:00pm - Loretto vs. Msrg. Johnson

Bethune 65 (Jamie Liang 57) - Monsignor Johnson (Lydia Cuff 14)
    Bronze: Loretto 63 - Marshal McLuhan 33
    Championship Final: St. Joseph's 60 - Father Redmond 50

Last edited by HooptownGTA on Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:31 pm; edited 3 times in total

Phone & Text: 647-668-6890
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/HooptownGTA
    Twitter: @HooptownGTA
    Instagram: hooptowngta
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 108
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

St. Joseph's Wellesley Tournament Empty Re: St. Joseph's Wellesley Tournament

Post by bearscoach Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:08 pm

Father Redmond 45 (Nicollette Weathers 13 ) Bethune 42 (Jamie Liang 37) [i]
    St. Joseph's 78 Loretto 59

Last edited by bearscoach on Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update of results)
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Post by bearscoach Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:36 pm

McCluhan 47 (Angelica Alphonso 16). Bethune 46. (Jamie Liang (36)
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Post by bearscoach Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:07 pm

Bethune 65 (Jamie Liang 57 points) Monsignor Johnson (Lydia Cuff 14 points)
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295

Post by Coach Clement Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:42 pm

Are you serious? Shocked

Jamie Liang has to be one of the best players out there! 37 36 and 57 That averages out to 43.3 per game.

Who has done that in recent history?

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement
    mr_09
    Freshman

Number of posts : 149
    Registration date : 2009-01-18

Post by mr_09 Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:48 pm

that is super impresive
    actionjackson
    Freshman

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2010-05-23

Post by actionjackson Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:13 pm

37 out of 42 = 88% of her team's points
    36 out of 46 = 78% of her team's points
    57 out of 65 = 87% of her team's points

Very impressive, but a few questions do come to mind....
    where are her teammates?
    how many assists did they get or was it a one-man show?
    can the opposing teams say"double or triple team"?
    or, is she just a good ol' fashioned scoring machine?

those are some serious numbers!

Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:07 pm

While scoring that many points is always worth noting, I would hold off on calling her one of the best players out there unless she has some serious numbers against quality competition. (e.g. the super 16 teams and the HM teams)
    J Lewis
    Freshman

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2010-10-31

Post by J Lewis Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:33 am

I know that Jamie has been lighting it up for the last three years. Obviously she has taken her game to a new level with the two 50 + games so I was wondering about what options have been offered to her to play ball at the next level? Stats like this should garner some attention down South but certainly she should be playing at a Canadian University or College.
    I am assuming that "bearscoach" is her coach due to the fact he/she posts quite a bit about Jamie and Bethune so hence the best person to ask questions regarding Jamie. So here goes.
    I noticed that Jamie is a fifth year (12r) so the question that comes to mind is how are her marks? Very important for her so that her options become greater. I have heard that she isn't the type of kid that acts like she is so much better than her teammates. In fact I have heard she is quite modest and shy yet very grounded about her talents.
    I am certainly not trying to hurt any kid's feelings but I believe it is fair to say that she has not had the strongest cast of teammates around her so she must get a heavy serving of double teams, aggressive defence etc. I have seen Jamie play a few times in the last few years against strong and weak competition and I was impressed at her ability to penetrate and handle pressure defence without getting frustrated. She scores a lot of points against good teams also. Has there been any game/games where Jamie has been held in check and if so, how did she handle it? A players character get's tested in a situation like this , especially when they are used to scoring so many points per game, every game. I have never seen a score pertaining to Bethune where she has scored less than 18 points so I will not be surprised to hear that this was her lowest total in the last three years which is incredible considering that Bethune is not a strong basketball school.
    This is a great accomplishment and I hope that Bethune is entered in a few more tournaments so that this kid get's noticed. I think I sound crazy as she certainly must have some attention but entering some more tournaments will only give her more exposure.
    I don't believe that a Senior girls player has ever scored over 50 points twice in a season and I also believe that 57 is a new record for the highest total. Great job. What an incredible accomplishment. No doubt one of the starting five for the Toronto Star all-stars for this season.
    Brazilian Blur
    Freshman

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2010-10-31

Post by Brazilian Blur Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:00 am

Some great questions posted. I am not her coach but I know she has tremendous marks. I am not sure of any game where she has been stopped but if it has happened, she is the type of kid to be motivated to prove that the bad game was not a reflection of her skills. She is a great kid
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Post by bearscoach Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:35 am

Jamie is still only 17 (birthday in late December) and she had a 93 per cent average last year.
    She wants to stay in Toronto as family is number 1 for her.
    Her fellow players on Bethune feel very proud of her accomplishments and also feel that they are a big part of her scoring feats. They are willing to set staggered screens all over the floor for her and know that that is the best way they can contribute. They honestly do not care if they score. They want to play well defensively so they can get the ball back in Jamie's hands.
    The team knows its limitations but they have fun and never give up.
    Jamie does get double-teamed frequently but teammates will set hard screens to free her up.
    One other thing about this year's version of the Bethune Bears, there is not a girl on the team taller than 5 foot 6 and Jamie is 5 foot 4.
    We know where we stand in the basketball hierarchy in the GTA but most coaches
    would love to have a player like Jamie on their team.
    My thanks to J. Lewis and the Brazilian Blur who took the time to register to say so many nice things about Jamie.
    I hope this answers most questions about Jamie and the Bears.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:27 am

Coach,

You have stated that family is very important for her and she wants to stay in Toronto. What schools is she considering?

bearscoach
    Freshman

Post by bearscoach Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Toronto, Ryerson, and York
    a fan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2010-11-02

Post by a fan Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:17 am

In addition to the 57 points, I believe that in the game against Monsignor Johnson, Jamie made 8 consecutive 3pt shots. That's impressive.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:14 am

bearscoach wrote:Toronto, Ryerson, and York

It would appear whichever school she decides upon will have one outstanding addition! Cool

BBBasketball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2010-11-02

Post by BBBasketball Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:43 pm

Jamie Liang is a great player and student. Due to her hardwork and determination I am sure she will suceed in whatever she decides to do, on and off the court.

Current date/time is Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:15 pm