HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+4
technical.foul
Peel Fan
bearscoach
Coach Clement
8 posters

The GTA Jr Championship is No More!

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

The GTA Jr Championship is No More! Empty The GTA Jr Championship is No More!

Post by Coach Clement Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:14 am

First of all, I would like to thank all of you who have supported the idea of a GTA Championship for Juniors.

However in the face of insurmountable obstacles and with too short a time frame to find viable solutions. The problems were mainly financial in nature and I was not aware of these until yesterday. They were the result of some misunderstandings on my part but I should perhaps have done a better job of obtaining this information at an earlier time.

We have scrambled to try to find simple answers to our problems but when these failed to fall into place I feel no recourse but to abandon the concept of this tournament.

Perhaps in the future we will try again and perhaps with a committee of coaches and interested persons involved. One thing that must be addressed is the situation with the late playoff in Peel.

Perhaps that is not a situation that can be resolved but that time frame remained a major obstacle to a successful GTA Championship.

Once again thank you for your support and my apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement
    bearscoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 108
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

The GTA Jr Championship is No More! Empty Re: The GTA Jr Championship is No More!

Post by bearscoach Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:25 am

That's too bad about the tournament.
    At least your problems did not involve a lack of interest as I encountered with the idea of a Tier 2 GTA tournament. Next year might have a better ending.
    Thanks for your efforts!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

The GTA Jr Championship is No More! Empty Re: The GTA Jr Championship is No More!

Post by Coach Clement Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:47 am

There were logistical problems as well I was trying my best to resolve them but we were really scrambling in the last week or so.

We had two reps from Halton onboard which was one obstacle but there were more and the timeframe was too short!

The Peel situation was still up in the air! They are just starting their playoff and it was not an easy fit with our tournament. They are obviously a major player in the GTA.

Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:30 pm

I was told that the misunderstanding was over the use of some of one or more of the venues; some thought it was being donated and others thought otherwise. Is this correct?
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:53 pm

Basically that is the case! There was a misunderstanding regarding the costs which did not come to light until Tuesday of this week.

The cost of gym rental, security and first aid all of which were compulsory just made the whole thing unviable.

Without outside sponsorship which it was too late to seek out the cost would have been in the area of $400.00 per team.

It did not seem reasonable to ask teams to pay those kind of fees at the end of a long and costly season.

technical.foul
    Freshman

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2009-12-23

Post by technical.foul Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Coach Bob you have done a great job trying to make this happen. No disrespect for what you have tried to do, other people need to step up and help. Money needs to come in people need to pool resources, get their contacts on the phone, get off their wallets, call sponsors, swallow their pride and help this dude out. This is terrible!!!!

This is truely dissapointing. Looking in from the outside I would say another typical example of why we continue to loose Canadian talent to the States. There are several things on my mind so Im going to say them . If we are going to build Canadian Ball then these things need to be resolved.
    These events NEED to happen!!!

Toronto can not have a tournament for Jr Championship because gym cost? WOW isnt that crazy considering all of the college's and Universities in and around Toronto? Not one of them can step up and donate the time in their gym. What a crazy thought? Damn you might even be able to recruit? But no its gonna be money that interferes? Ive seen the Ryerson coach around, he walks around big chested, he cant give up some gym time? He might be able to use it to sell his school!!!

Corporations in the city need to start to back Canadian basketball. These are the best grade 10 teams the province has to offer and it cant come together cause no one wants to sponsor it?

Why can ESPN televise high school games in the states? TSN/Sportsnet/rogers, Raptors someone cant step up to say lets make this happen? Oh ya no one cares for Canadian ballers, that why they continue to leave! Wake up people we just cant get it together. Its a disgrace, 2 McDonalds All Americans and we all proud, but damn they had to go down there to do it! Another slap, they obviously no how to get it done down there, I see sponsors in every gym I go to in the States. I no for a fact tournaments in the states assist financially for teams to attend tournaments if your good. Here we pay and no one ever steps up and says lets get this started.

The Pickering coach had a great Haiti event but how well was that supported? We need packed gyms and sell outs. We need to promote our players, we need to have local media get excitted about what is happening in Toronto Basketball.

Its a disgrace, watch out for a mass exit of Jr Ballers next year, trust me its a slap in the face again. This time its gonna be much worse. Look at the talent at the Jr age and look at the talent at the younger ages in GTA, those guys down in the States have made a name, put Toronto on the map and now all the preps gonna be up here, batten down the hatchetts, get the I 20s ready cuz Canadas taking over.............in the USA, how sad.

Technical foul,, x2 and Im outta the game!!
    whatupdawg
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-01-12

Post by whatupdawg Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:34 pm

2 badz...wordz on d streetz....d peepz r sayin....d tiket...andrw wiginz iz bacz at vaungz....redee 2 pla bballz!!! lookzowtgta...bow wow wow!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:39 pm

Yes Andrew is indeed back at Vaughan!

Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370

Post by Coach Melnik Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:59 pm

Like I just said on another thread, I invited several of the top junior teams to compete with Carr Jr A and Carr Jr B in place of this event. Not one team wanted to compete. Now that is sad!
    King James
    Freshman

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2010-02-27

Post by King James Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:14 pm

Which Teams were u planin to bring

Last edited by King James on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Post by Peel Fan Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:26 am

Coach Melnik wrote:Like I just said on another thread, I invited several of the top junior teams to compete with Carr Jr A and Carr Jr B in place of this event. Not one team wanted to compete. Now that is sad!

Sad that teams that have finishes their season don't want to play an exhibition game? That's not sad, that's the end of the season. It's a shame that you instead choose to condemn them.
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370

Post by Coach Melnik Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:00 am

Oh give it a rest Peel Fan. I am not "condemning" anyone. You all said that Carr A was not number one until they beat all the top teams. The GTA Championship that Coach Clement worked on for a year fell through and we were willing to host a smaller event with the top teams. Not one team wanted to play. That is not condemning anyone. IT WAS SAD THAT WE COULDNT SEE THE TOP TEAMS PLAYOFF IN A CHAMPIONSHIP FORMAT. Apparently these same teams would not have competed in Coach Clement's GTA Championship. End of story.

Why dont you guys stop the nonsense. Stop hiding behind screen names and state your opinions with your real name so it is obvious where your bias comes from.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Post by Peel Fan Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:29 am

Coach, why are you so obsessed with real names? If you believe that those with a posting name lack credibility then it begs the question as to why you spend so much time engaging them in debate.

As much as I would love to read your attempts at playing amateur psychologist in determining my bias, I think it's pretty obvious that the only significant bias I have displayed on this board is a connection to Peel basketball. How that creates an anti-Carr bias in your opinion boggles the mind. The more obvious answer is that it's easier for you to simply accuse every criticism as hating or bias, rather than acknowledge that many of them are valid.

Some teams chose not to participate in meaningless exhibition games that are apparently designed for Carr to prove something to the same posters that you dismiss with one hand while trying to prove them wrong with the other, as one can imply from your post. According to you, this means they would not have participated in the GTA championship tournament. That's a pretty facile conclusion.

You can dismiss all of this as nonsense if you want but it's quite obvious that you find it very important to address each and every perceived attack on Carr as a personal quest.
    Keep_playin_D
    Freshman

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post by Keep_playin_D Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:46 am

I think Peel fan has a point. Coach M, FYI .. The Season is OVER!!! .. all the other player move on with their rep ball or whatever they want to do. Maybe Coach M. is still bitter that CarrA was not legitimately declared number 1. CarrA is still a great team (hands down the best) but they weren't legitimely crowned this season ... you just need to look in the mirror for the real reason why. It was your stupid mistake that cost them .. live and learn with it, don't dig yourself a bigger hole. SEASON OVER you can't turn back clock.

Current date/time is Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:22 am