HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+6
Coach11
ball04
coachblue
Eagle1
t43
Coach Clement
10 posters

Toronto Star Coaches Poll - Oct. 8

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Toronto Star Coaches Poll - Oct. 8 Empty Toronto Star Coaches Poll - Oct. 8

Post by Coach Clement Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:57 am

High School Girls' Basketball

Coaches Poll

1. Notre Dame (16-1)

League: Durham Region

City: Ajax

Skinny: Nicholle McKenzie scored 17 points in a 65-45 win over Etobicoke in the Notre Dame Invitational championship game. Beat Richardson 59-30, Ajax 61-24, Roberts 57-24, Father Leo Austin 64-50 and Holy Cross 54-38.

2. St. Marguerite d'Youville (13-0)

League: Peel Region

City: Brampton

Skinny: Beat Guelph Centennial 56-29 in final of Bateman Invitational tournament. Defeated Mayfield 50-21 in league game.

3. Eastern Commerce (10-3)

League: TDSSAA

City: Toronto

Skinny: Jenea Barrett scored 42 points in a 59-42 win over Nelson and beat St. Mary's (Hamilton) 43-38 at the St. Thomas More Invitational. Leeanna Osei scored 21 points in a 54-44 win over Northern and also scored 32 points in a 91-28 thrashing of Marc Garneau. Crush North Toronto 86-11.

4. Dunbarton (9-1)

League: Durham Region

City: Pickering

Skinny: Wumi Agunbiade scored 22 points in a 62-54 win over All Saints. Defeatred St. Mary 63-25.

5. Michael Power (7-1)

League: TDCAA

Skinny: Emilija Davidovic scored 12 points in a 47-18 win over Loretto College and scored 13 points in a 69-16 victory over Dante Alighieri.

6. Ascension (6-1)

City: Mississauga

Skinny: Former Toronto Star allstar Christine Hyde scored 30 points in a 72-22 win over Lincoln Alexander. Hyde scored 20 points in a 51-48 win over St. Thomas Aquinas.

7. St. Edmund Campion (11-3)

Skinny: Defeated Notre Dame (Brampton) 44-21 and Fletcher's Meadow 44-30.

8. Etobicoke (9-5)

Skinny: Jill Stratton scored 21 points in a 62-48 win over Donald Wilson. Beat Pickering 49-42 and Pine Ridge 56-50 but lost to Notre Dame by 20 at the Notre Dame Invitational in Pickering. Defeated Vaughan Road 60-45 in a league game.

9. Pope John Paul II (5-0)

League: TDCAA

Skinny: Courtney Sinclair scored 13 points in a 66-9 thumping of Cardinal Newman.

9. Thomson (3-0)

Skinny: Defeated Cedarbrae 59-20.

10. Notre Dame (4-1)

Skinny: Thump Brampton Christian 51-9.

Honourable mention: Father Goetz, St. Basil, Weston.

Dropped from previous week: Birchmount Park (9)

Ontario Playoffs: Nov. 20-22 - At North Bay, Single-A; At Thunder Bay, Double-A; At St. Catharines, Triple-A; At Sarnia, Quad-A. Selections are made based on performance during the previous seven-day period. Selections are made based on performance during the previous seven-day period. Rankings of teams for Week 3 are determined in consultation with high school and university coaches, game officials and players.

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Toronto Star Coaches Poll - Oct. 8 Empty Re: Toronto Star Coaches Poll - Oct. 8

Post by Coach Clement Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:00 am

As usual certain things elude me!

How can Pope who hold an admittedly close win over Michael Power decline while Power moves up?

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement
    t43
    Freshman

Number of posts : 159
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Post by t43 Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:18 pm

Pine Ridge Seniors won against Dunbarton today with a final score of 64-40. Things in Durham are really competitive and there are alot of great teams out there this year!
    Eagle1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 119
    Registration date : 2008-09-27

Post by Eagle1 Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:18 pm

Take the Star to 10 with a grain of salt. David mixes things up to create interest.

He has Campion and Notre Dame (Brampton) both in the top 10 with Goetz as an HM and NONE of those teams are even close to the top 10 in the GTA. Aquinas and Applewood are both better than all three of those teams. Etobicoke is not even top 20. Everyone knows that D'youville is #1 (really only EC , Ascension or ND Durham are close).
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Number of posts : 1043
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by coachblue Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:22 pm

Thanks for the compliment but we will really have to prove it on the court first...Campion and ND are both traditional powerhouses so my girls will need to get past the mental roadblock of beating those teams...we are actually playing ND at ND at the end of October and I would love to play Campion or d'Youville or Goetz or Carmel but there is nothing in it for them to play us...

ball04
    Freshman

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2008-10-03

Post by ball04 Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:44 pm

Etobicoke is not even top twenty? Are you kidding?
    They beat Westdale, from Hamilton who is supossed to be ranked number one in the province.
    They are crushing everyone in their league and beat both pine ridge and pickering.
    Coach11
    Freshman

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2008-10-03

Post by Coach11 Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:42 pm

I have to agree with Ball04 that Etobicoke is definitely a top 10 team, maybe even higher up than they're ranked. But I have to disagree with the part about them crushing everyone in their league.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:53 pm

I think Etobicoke is very talented...would not mind playing them...

wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:05 pm

It boggles my mind how Thomson can drop 5 spots in a span of a week without a loss(according to Grossman's record). Power jumps up and over Pope yet lost to them. I do not agree that Grossman mixes things up to create interest. The records of pretty much all of the teams is inaccurate so I cannot see him being that creative.
    "Eagle1", you have got to be kidding when you say that Etobicoke is not top 20. If you don't like a team for some reason, don't let it cloud your judgement of reality. They beat Westdale, Pine Ridge and Pickering this season and that is nothing to sneeze at. They played in the Western and St Marys tournaments that had the top teams in the province and made the final at Notre Dame.They are actually dominating their opponents so far in the West as their closest game is by 15 points. A big game for them will be against Weston.
    Applewood is definately one of those teams that can creep up on you and beat you but they have yet to beat a top caliber team so you can't get ahead of yourself. I agree with Campion ahead of them until Applewood goes on a hot streak and/or Campion starts to struggle. I am not saying that Applewood cannot beat them because I feel that they certainly can but a quality win must come first.
    Considering the whipping that Goetz took at the Sheridan tournament from Ascension by 38 points, it is obviously a rebuilding year and rebuiding teams are not top ten or honourable mention. As always, I find Grossman's top ten strange. It is listed as a coaches poll so I would love to know who these coaches are because it certainly is none of us on here.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:14 pm

I agree..while I appreciate the compliment, I think we have to beat those teams before we can be ranked ahead of them or mentioned ahead of them...I have too much respect for Goetz, Campion and ND...now part of the problem is getting those teams to play us...

coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:28 pm

Eagle1, you interested in playing an exhibition game?

Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:54 pm

Grossman's pics are more than strange; they lack any validity because he makes no effort to find out what teams are doing outside of league play and any tournaments that are called in. He misses a lot of results and so his rankings don't reflect reality.
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:53 am

Grossman rankings are based upon who calls in basketball scores for the week. If you don't call in scores, then a particular team can move down a couple of places or get bumped from the poll period. If you ask David Grossman personally he'll tell that his rankings are just for fun. He takes the information that is reported makes a poll so that high school sports get some kind of recognition in the paper and high school athletes get some type of mainstream media attention. It is no way accurate. He doesn't actually study, chart and analyze other teams. He simply does it for entertainment value so people are taking about high school sports. Take it with a grain of salt!!!

Now, if you want a more accurate poll, then use the Hooptowngta poll it is a more accurate measuring stick. Slick Rick actually talks to coaches around the GTA about their teams. He follows the high school scene much more closely!!!
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Post by wcbasketball Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:03 am

When a top ten is posted in any sport, no matter the level, it is to increase exposure and add excitement to the game. Making a top ten just for the fun of it, without it being done with any level of seriousness is a mockery of the Girl's game. He seems to take the Boys top ten very seriously so I disagree with you.
    If Grossman is doing a high school show on the radio every Sunday and it is his position in the media, then nothing should be taken with a grain of salt. Rick puts on his top ten and we as coaches, fans and players affect his rankings as he takes the time to think about it. He does not get paid to do this but is the key figure in promoting high school basketball in the GTA. If Grossman only includes scores that are called into him then that is sad. He hosts a show and must take the time to study what is going on. That includes looking for it himself.
    I would be more than happy to write an article in the paper and host a high school show. I am a very big fan of the high school game and it kills me to see sports that were huge when I played, going in the toilet. I would base my top ten on a poll gathered by myself,Rick, Coach Bob, Coach Blue, Imgrund, York Observer as a start. There are others who I know I have forgotten but I think everybody get's my point. I have been a community coach at Churchill for the last four years. My salary is gas, food and time paid for by me. I don't teach at the school nor do I receive a dime and I have no complaints.I know that there are lot's of coaches who do the same so I think I have the right to critisize somebody who get's paid for it. The teachers who coach in the school system do not receive extra for doing it so it is also voluteer for them. Trust me, I have seen many teachers accept a coaching position and handle it like it is the plague.
    I think that somebody like Grossman is probably not a fan of Hooptwon because he deems it a threat and it makes him look silly when he posts records that are nowhere near what they actually are. It is clear that he refuses to use this as a guideline and that is sad. I had to make my point because I want to give credit where it is due. All of us had disagreed with one another and that is what I appreciate, the honesty. Whenever, I have a question about York Region, the first two individuals who come to mind are Coach Imgrund and York Observer. In Mississauga, it is Coach Blue and Peel Fan. Coach Bob is great at all levels. I love the fact that he clearly shows that he LOVES the game as he can answer questions about Girls and Boys at all levels.

I just had to put in my two cents. That just came out of my gas money.LOL
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Post by wcbasketball Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:04 am

Here is another name that I must give credit to for his insight and ability to answer all types of questions, Xavier Rimrocker.
    Eagle1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 119
    Registration date : 2008-09-27

Post by Eagle1 Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:24 pm

I apologize if I offended Etobicoke. Their close wins over Pine Ridge and Pickering certainly put them among the better teams probably 10-15 range.

Coach Blue as most of the board knows I am not the girls' coach at Ascension but I can certainly let her know of your interest in playing.

Right now, Christine Hyde will sit until the Rimrocker to give her knee a break (she did not play yesterday) so I don't know if the coach wants to add games right now.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:59 pm

Sorry Eagle1..my bad...if Ascension doesn't want to play us I understand....no offense taken

CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2008-08-04

Post by CoachImgrund Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:23 am

WC - I totally agree with you. To be honest, what irritates me most about his top 10 is that he uses the term "Coaches Poll" and "Points" in his article. It makes it seem like he is polling coaches, when, I'm not sure if that's the case.

I can confirm one thing you said though WC - Grossman DOES only include scores that are called into him. He has personally told me that, and I stand by that comment.

It definitely is easier to criticize someone who is paid for what they do. If Grossman did take this top 10 serious, as he should, he WOULD be checking around for honest coaches who would give a legitimate top 10. You would think this would be ideal for him because he could throw the blame on someone else when a team (or teamS, as is commonly the case) appears/disappears or moves up/down without anything really changing!
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:50 pm

Maybe you misunderstood to a degree what I initially posted. When I said..."for fun"...I'm not trying to say that it is totally made up and not based upon some truth. Most of it is factual because it is based upon scores that are called into the Toronto Star. However, his poll is not as accurate as Hooptowngta because he doesn't really analyze teams...he relies on a couple of coaches to provide feedback on various top performing teams in the GTA. The analysis of those coaches combined with the scores that are called in are the basis of the Toronto Star weekly rankings. It is a poll based upon what you did during that particular week. He said that people complain from time to time...but it is what it is....something that he does for fun to get people excited, interested and talking high school sports. I'll say it again...the Star is a weekly poll based upon your body of for that particular week....the Hooptowngta is based upon your body of work for the season. Don't take the Star's poll seriously...it's just entertainment! That exactly what Grossman told me himself when I asked personally last year.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:55 am

to be honest, i dont take it that seriously anyways..ranking on Star poll is not going to help us get into OFSAA

Current date/time is Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:37 am