I would like to thank all the teams that participated in our 1st Annual Campion Junior Showdown.
Some things that stuck out in my mind:
- Congrats Twin Lakes from Orillia surprising everyone in the tournament and winning it all. They had a great floor General Mitch Farrell who controlled the pace of all their games and pushed each of his players to play hard.
- Bramalea for competing hard in our tournament and pushing Gonzaga into overtime but eventually losing it at the end. If any consolation can be taken away from this loss, is that they can compete amongst many of the top teams in Peel Tier 1 and many good GTA teams. People criticize our Campion Juniors loss to them earlier on in the season without realizing how good Bramalea was.
- Pine Ridge was indeed short players in our tournament which affected their play but I can see how they can be a fine team with the addition of Jamal Reynolds (I was told not likely now), we wish PR juniors good luck in the playoffs
- Unfortunately, I did not get to see Iroquois Ridge from Oakville as they were competing at the LEGER site, but I hear from the other coaches that they were pretty strong.
- I am proud of our boys (CAM "A") and (CAM "B") for competing very well in our tournament, it was a great opportunity to split our team up (as one team drop out of the tournament) and have ALL of our boys to get a tune-up before the playoffs. CAM "A" got a great opportunity to see and compete against Gonzaga, one of the strongest teams in Peel south before playoffs. It was a great game played by both teams, with GON down by one with 1 with 7 seconds left, then hitting a rushed last second three point shot, the game could have went either way. Congrats to GON to making it all they way to the finals, they have two awesome guards: Myles Charvis and Marcus Hanson
- Overall, I think all the teams got what they came for, good competition and tune-up before playoffs and CAMPION JUNIOR BOYS BASKETBALL is thankful and appreciative of all the teams that came out to our tournament
Final @ Campion @ 8pm
GON 49 vs. TWL 53
TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONS: Twin Lakes (Orillia)
Josh Mayorga (BHS)
Tyler Stone (STA)
Brent Carey (CAM)
Marcus Hanson (GON)
Myles Charvis (GON)
M. Yakubu (BRA)
Mitch Farrell (TWL)