HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

5 posters

Toronto Star Top Ten - Wed. Sept. 24/08

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Toronto Star Top Ten - Wed. Sept. 24/08 Empty Toronto Star Top Ten - Wed. Sept. 24/08

Post by Coach Clement Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:41 am

Here is the latest version of the Girl's Top Ten from today's Toronto Star:

1. Notre Dame (6-0)

League: Durham Region

City: Ajax

Skinny: Nicholle McKenzie scored 17 points in a 55-45 league win over Dunbarton. McKenzie scored 14 in a 34-25 win over Pine Ridge.

2. d'Youville (2-0)

League: Peel Region

City: Brampton

Skinny: Defeated Eastern Commerce 47-41 and St. Theresa of Lisieux 63-22.

3. Eastern Commerce (1-1)

League: TDSSAA

City: Toronto

Skinny: Lost to d'Youville by six.

4. Dunbarton (1-1)

League: Durham Region

City: Pickering

Skinny: Simone Thomas scored 15 points in a 59-53 win over Pickering. Lost to Notre Dame (Ajax) by 10.

5. Thomson (0-0)

Skinny: Did not play.

6. Father Goetz (1-0)

League: Peel Region

City: Mississauga

Skinny: Angela Lecce scored 14 points in a 41-34 win over Lorne Park.

7. Birchmount Park (1-0)

Skinny: Crushed Wexford 47-10 in league game.

8. Pope John Paul II (0-0)

League: TDCAA

9. Etobicoke (0-0)

10. Aurora (0-0)

League: York Region

City: Aurora

Honourable mention: None.

Dropped from previous week: None

Ontario Playoffs: Nov. 20-22 - At North Bay, Single-A; At Thunder Bay, Double-A; At St. Catharines, Triple-A; At Sarnia, Quad-A. Selections are made based on performance during the previous seven-day period. Rankings of teams for Week 1 are determined in consultation with high school and university coaches, game officials and players.

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Toronto Star Top Ten - Wed. Sept. 24/08 Empty Re: Toronto Star Top Ten - Wed. Sept. 24/08

Post by wcbasketball Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:56 pm

I guess that Grossman only bases his records on games in the last two days. There was a Thomson tournament, an Uxbridge tournament, A Western University Tournament and a Kingston Limestone tournament off the top of my head.
    Therefore Thomson is not 0-0, Birchmount is not 1-0, Etobicoke is not 0-0 and Dunbarton is not 1-1. I really wish he would read Hooptown GTA at the very least to get some remote level of accuracy. He cannot be basing this on league play only because he has the D'Youville victory over Eastern and Notre Dame is at 6-0 with only two league games.
    The Uxbridge and Kingston tournaments were almost two weeks ago and the Purple and White and Thomson tournies were this past weekend. WOW! Not even close.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Number of posts : 1043
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Toronto Star Top Ten - Wed. Sept. 24/08 Empty Re: Toronto Star Top Ten - Wed. Sept. 24/08

Post by coachblue Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:17 pm

These rankings are quite a bit off....

I love Birchmount..my friends coach there but even they would tell you they are not a top 10 team this year...their Juniors are good...

Father Goetz is the defending Peel champion and deserves respect but I think they are down a little this year..hopefully they are still tough so Peel can still have a lot of representation in the top 10...

Guess it's tough to do rankings this early and the point of them is to generate discussion but it would be nice if they were more reflective of what has actually happened in the season so far...

wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Post by wcbasketball Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:19 pm

That is one of my main problems with Grossman. He bases a lot of his rankings on previous seasons and reputation. As I said, there has been a lot of basketball played already and he is not even close. Well put Coach Blue. Oh yeah, see you tommorrow. Very Happy
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2008-08-04

Post by CoachImgrund Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:47 pm

I agree - a lot is based on speculation.

Aurora were York Region champs last year but have lost a lot of their starters including Beth Hagarty, their go-to girl.

As said above, Birchmount has at least two losses, including a loss to us at the Thomson tournament. Not sure where that went to???
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:49 pm

Part of the fault belongs to the coaches who are sometimes selective in reporting results. Do well at a tournament and everyone wants to include that in their reported results; do poorly and some coaches don't bother passing the info on to him.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:50 pm

Hey Coach Blue, are you at the Rimrocker again this year?
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Post by wcbasketball Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:32 am

I know that some coaches are hesitant to send results to Grossman when they lose but the Thomson and Uxbridge tournament results and photos were posted on Hooptown. I would like to think that Grossman knows about this site and if he doesn't then I will surely e-mail him to let him know.LOL!
    I just believe that if you are going to post a top ten for basketball in the newspaper and give coverage and print to it then you should do it right. In years past, there was a panal of coaches, former players and officials who use to vote on the top ten. The paper would list who these individuals were. This definately cannot be the case this year because somebody certainly would know that there have been tournaments going on. At the very least, Grossman should have some contacts to get a hold of who could educate him on what is going on. On this site alone, there are very good people to ask such as York Observer, Coach Bob, Imgrund, Blue, Melnik and myself just to name a few. I also would definately add in the administrator of this board.
    In the past and present, all of us have added honest opinions about the top ten. We have had some great debates which I feel have not been bias. I certainly recall Coach Imgrund's team being in the Toronto Star list when they did not belong in it due to their play. He came on here and stated himself that he didn't feel his team should be on it at the time. That is as fair and non-bias as you can get.
    Now that games and tournies have been played, we all can have proof of performances to base rankings on. I watched the whole Thomson tournament including St Theresa beating Birchmount pretty handily. I felt the score was flattering to Birchmount as they were never really in the game. Applewood follows up and beats St Theresa yet I read in the paper that Birchmount is number 7 with a 1-0 record. Thomson is 5 with a 0-0 record. Come on now.I would rather him not put the top ten in at all if it is gonna be this unaccurate.
    With all this being said, did anybody get the full results from the Western Purple and White tourny? I know that General Amherst(Last years AA OFSSAA champion) beat Govenor Simcoe 46-37 in the final. Govenor Simcoe beat last years AAAA champ (St Anne,Windsor) in the semi finals 48-38. I know that we had some teams there from the GTA. How did they do?
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2008-08-04

Post by CoachImgrund Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:29 am

I've had a few discussions with Grossman in the past about submitting scores. I think the problem is Grossman is unwilling to print tournament scores submitted in 'isolation'. That is, he either wants EVERY single tournament score sent to him or none of them. I think this approach has turned off coaches from submitting tournament scores. With that being said, I think HooptownGTA is tournament central anyway...

I agree with WC though - there are some great coaches on the board and, from what I know, none of them would submit his/her team to a Top Ten list without it being justified. If anything, I think most coaches would rank their team a little lower than their play would dictate.

Thankfully we have Rick's Top 10, which, I think we can all agree, is based less on 'speculation' from last year, and more on what the team has or CAN reasonably accomplish this year. I know that if all the coaches on here had to make a Top 10, it would definitely correlate more with Rick's than with Dave's. With that being said, I'd be curious to hear a Top 10 from York Observer, Coach Bob, etc., not to compete with Rick's but just to get some more insight in to the great basketball potential we have here in the GTA.

Current date/time is Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:41 am