HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

SBA Needs your Support!

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

SBA Needs your Support! Empty SBA Needs your Support!

Post by Coach Clement Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:35 pm

Sam Moncada, the president of the Scarborough Basketball Association, is seeking your help in this undertaking:

I'm supporting an idea in the Aviva Community Fund, a competition that could result in positive change in communities across Toronto. If the idea I'm supporting receives enough votes, it will have a chance at sharing in $500,000 of funding. I would really appreciate your help in pushing this idea to the finals. Please forward to anyone that can assist with this cause.

Please vote for it at http://www.avivacommunityfund.org/ideas/acf1072

This statement appears on the website:

Sam Moncada, SBA: Working with kids aged 5 to 19, the Scarborough Basketball Association reaches into at least five of the 13 priority neighbourhoods in Toronto (Kingston-Galloway, Malvern, Eglinton East-Kennedy Park, Scarborough Village, Dorset Park) through basketball.

The kids and youth come together because of basketball. This creates a unique opportunity to reach at risk young people, improve the health of the community as well as developing the game of basketball.

This project could allow the Scarborough Basketball Association to create programs to fight bullying; openly talk about ways to prevent and diffuse violence in our communities; and engage youth in discussions about potential future opportunities beyond becoming an NBA or WNBA player. By using basketball tournaments, practices and leagues as a forum to invite community leaders, inspirational speakers and home-grown heroes, the SBA hopes to use sport to develop not only basketball skills, but develop life skills in all aspects of a young person’s development.

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement

Current date/time is Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:37 pm