HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

5 posters

BIG TIME SCORES-whatup??

whatupdawg
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-01-12

BIG TIME SCORES-whatup?? Empty BIG TIME SCORES-whatup??

Post by whatupdawg Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:23 pm

2009 Spring Crusader Classic at Father Henry Carr
    Coach Melnik on Wed May 27, 2009 11:55 am

2009 Spring Crusader Classic at Father Henry Carr

Saturday, May 30, 2009
    1 9:00 am St Dorothy 52 - The Elms 50
    [b]2 10:30 am SBA#2 85 - Brookview 20 [/b]
    3 12:00 noon The Elms 51 - Brother Andre 47
    4 1:30 pm FHC Jr B 93 - SBA#2 71
    5 3:00 pm Brother Andre 62 - St Dorothy 60
    [b]6 4:30 pm FHC Jr B 88 – Brookview 18[/b]
    Sunday, May 31, 2009
    7 10:30 am 5th Place: Brother Andre 59- Brookview 51
    8 12 noon 3rd Place: SBA #2 94 – St Dorothy 47
    [b]9 1:30 pm Championship: Fr Henry Carr 94 – The Elms 45[/b]
    Up&Comer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

BIG TIME SCORES-whatup?? Empty Re: BIG TIME SCORES-whatup??

Post by Up&Comer Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:42 pm

oh man come on now......88-18?
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Melnik Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:02 pm

Relax...Brookview was overmatched in both games and their coach was fine with that. He actually requested to be in that pool and he did not want the opposition to hold back.
    Ronson
    Freshman

Number of posts : 99
    Registration date : 2009-03-12

Post by Ronson Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:14 pm

Honestly, Canadians have to let this "running up the score" topic go. I understand the whole element of sportsmanship and there is a fine line between beating a team badly and running the score.

What is not acceptable is when teams are still pressing with over a 20 or 30 or 100 point lead. But if a team is simply beating another in the half court or in the fastbreak, so be it. What is the coach supose to do? tell them to stop trying?? or stop playing?? I think not! In basketball as well as other sports, competition is key and if you were to take a trip down ot the States and watch a game, the team will pound you to prove that they are superior, and it gets worse.

However, I'm kind of getting sick of hearing "How did they kill them so bad" or "What was the coach thinking" Quite frankly, that smackdown should be insentive for the opposing coach, program and school to smarten up and improve their team. I also understand that some team are simply undersized or lack talent, but hey, thats just how it goes.

Not trying to be a jerk, but that is just how the cookie crumbles! LOL
    gunta
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 373

Post by gunta Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:08 pm

[quote="Ronson"]Honestly, Canadians have to let this "running up the score" topic go. I understand the whole element of sportsmanship and there is a fine line between beating a team badly and running the score.

What is not acceptable is when teams are still pressing with over a 20 or 30 or 100 point lead. But if a team is simply beating another in the half court or in the fastbreak, so be it. What is the coach supose to do? tell them to stop trying?? or stop playing?? I think not! In basketball as well as other sports, competition is key and if you were to take a trip down ot the States and watch a game, the team will pound you to prove that they are superior, and it gets worse.

However, I'm kind of getting sick of hearing "How did they kill them so bad" or "What was the coach thinking" Quite frankly, that smackdown should be insentive for the opposing coach, program and school to smarten up and improve their team. I also understand that some team are simply undersized or lack talent, but hey, thats just how it goes.

Not trying to be a jerk, but that is just how the cookie crumbles! LOL[/quote]

No disrespect to FHC they are a great team, but in response to your comment what kind of program you want to set for an elementary school,yes they enter so they knew what was going to happen but what sense is it to pound a team when they are no good.
    Take a look at some of the rep teams that made it to division 1 they were playing second and third division teams and killing them to say they are good.
    Ronson
    Freshman

Number of posts : 99

Post by Ronson Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:07 pm

Not saying to pound a team, but just simply play basketball. In my opinion, it would be disgracing the sport if a coach were to tell his players not to play hard or to take it easy. At the end of the day, the winning team could treat it as a practice where they could try to improve their game and try new things (all in good taste of course) meaning not showboating or doing And-1 tricks or anything of that nature.

Simply play basketball.

Current date/time is Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:49 am