HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+28
CoachPaul
kobe19
Ball4Life93
CoachRick
jose_manuel08
LevelUp
TakinBallToNextLevel
Coach Clement
2k9basketball
C.Ballers
Hooptown_baller
djoke
isolation
THESCOUT
DaMan07
Peel Fan
AlreadyKnow
MississaugaBaller
baller-3
Prime Time
stevelogan92
Mu2
Xavier Rimrocker
ball_2_live
F'real Baller.
Judgedemental
panathas
rvd1018
32 posters

Peel Tier One - Finals GOETZ BEATS D'Y 86-78

djoke
    Freshman

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2008-12-03

Peel Tier One - Finals GOETZ BEATS D'Y 86-78 - Page 4 Empty Re: Peel Tier One - Finals GOETZ BEATS D'Y 86-78

Post by djoke Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:11 pm

wowww...how did BCSS lose???
    rvd1018
    Junior

Number of posts : 611
    Registration date : 2008-11-24

Peel Tier One - Finals GOETZ BEATS D'Y 86-78 - Page 4 Empty Re: Peel Tier One - Finals GOETZ BEATS D'Y 86-78

Post by rvd1018 Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:16 pm

Goetz is a better team.. it was no fluke they hve been under the radar they are a quality team..BCSS lost to a quality team.
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 343
    Registration date : 2008-09-09

Post by Prime Time Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:18 pm

Mu2, do you have any predictions for the semi-finals?
    AlreadyKnow
    Freshman

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2009-02-27

Post by AlreadyKnow Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:29 pm

I say Fletchers wins next round
    and Xavier as well
    Anyone disagree?
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Post by Prime Time Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:34 pm

AlreadyKnow, you think Fletchers and Xavier are both going to come away with upsets....

Today Goetz and d'Youville beat very good teams (BCSS and Sandalwood)
    rvd1018
    Junior

Post by rvd1018 Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:36 pm

I say Goetz over Xavier they hve faced each twice already and its tied 1-1. And home court will play as an advantage for Goetz it always does. If Goetz will play liek they played today they will win. Their speed and dynamic defense can overcome and break Xavier they are gonna hve more revenge in their mind as they lost to Xavier at the end of the season which was the onlie flaw in their near to perfect season.. Goetz is gonna hve to want it more they are overall more disciplined
    AlreadyKnow
    Freshman

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2009-02-27

Post by AlreadyKnow Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:38 pm

I dont really see Fletchers beating Dy as an upset, Dy just has a higher rank and Xavier and Goetz is 1-1 game cud go either way. any thoughts?
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Post by Prime Time Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:40 pm

[quote="AlreadyKnow"]I dont really see Fletchers beating Dy as an upset, Dy just has a higher rank and Xavier and Goetz is 1-1 game cud go either way. any thoughts?[/quote]

If a lower ranked team beats a higher ranked team...is it not considered an upset.....?
    rvd1018
    Junior

Post by rvd1018 Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:40 pm

D'Y and Goetz have a advantage with home court..in basketball the crowd can be a big part of the game it alters which team has momentum or not....

Btw is the finals at the higher seed teams court?
    MississaugaBaller
    Freshman

Number of posts : 115
    Registration date : 2008-12-19

Post by MississaugaBaller Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:50 pm

the crowd was a factor at campion today but xavier still pulled through
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Post by Prime Time Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:00 pm

http://www.peelschools.org/ropssaa//winter/documents/playoffsbasketballjuniortier1.pdf

This website says that the semi-finals are on MONDAY not Tuesday.
    rvd1018
    Junior

Post by rvd1018 Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:03 pm

Sorry for the mistake soo the semis are on Monday
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:56 pm

I think I have to go with d'Y and Xavier to go to the semis. Xavier had a very convincing win over Campion. I don't think BCSS is that good and Goetz took it with ease. Head to head xavier looks better than goetz.
    is fletcher's big man playing? cudjoe?

d'youville has 2 semis on Monday at home - Junior and Bantam!
    kobe19
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2009-03-06

Post by kobe19 Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:53 am

yaaaa i heard cudjoe is playing
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Number of posts : 975
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by panathas Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:09 am

Now that we have been eliminated I can provide my opinion on Peel Junior Tier I

The best four teams in Peel are in the semi-finals. This includes Loyola.

Scouting Reports for all the teams:

d'Youville - Is the favorite and they should be. Their experience and discipline on the court is an extra man. You need to make them work on offense. Play hard man to man and deny entry passes. If you play zone you need to close out and force them to put the ball on the floor, then attempt to double team. They will press the whole game even if you are breaking it at first. You need to be patient and stay focused on breaking the press for the whole game. On their press you need to attack the sideline, then look to reverse and go up the weakside line. If they are playing man you need to attack the basket. They are not a big team, but you need to create one-on-one situations you can take advantage of.

BCSS vs D'Youville 50-51 Loss, 61-63 Loss, and 54-66 loss.

Goetz - Their press is to create double teams. You need to attack their press and punish them. A lot of times they will have 3 guys on the ball. They attempt to make you hurry and panic. Once over the half court you need to keep the ball high and spread. I think they played a 1-3-1 but it was hard for me to see because we kept throwing the ball away. On penetration they all collapse hard leaving spot up shooters and cutters open. You need to find these guys. It's difficult to penetrate through their middle. You need to be active on offense by making proper cuts and cutting into the open space. Its hard to dribble through their press. On offense they are good shooters. They do a good job skip passing in a zone. Against man to man they set ball screens continuous, so you need to decide either to switch or hedge. Keep in mind that we played so bad last night I am not sure if this is even accurate, we did nothing to compete last night.

BCSS vs Goetz 52-72 Loss

Fletchers-They have all the parts. Good guards, good posts, they can shoot, attack the basket and play defense. We played them very early in the season, but from what I remember. We broke their press with ease by moving the ball with a pass to the middle then hitting a guard on the weak side. Man to man they couldn't handle pick n' roll, or ball screens. They don't help well on penetration. You can take advantage of one on one situations. They mostly played zone against us because we did a real good job against man to man. Their zone is a 2-3 if I remember correctly. Very active. Almost like Sandalwood's but they are not as big. You need to reverse the ball quickly against their zone and create one on one situations on the opposite side of the court. On defense you need to get the ball out of the PG's hands (jonathan). Deny him the ball. In our game he controled the tempo, made all the right decisions, and found the open man consistently. I would deny him the ball when he gives it up. Cudjoe is their best big man. You need to make him work for everything he get on offense. Play physical against him. Box him out hard.

BCSS vs Fletchers 65-68 Loss, 50-59 Loss (I benched my starters though)

Xavier-Keep in mind we played Xavier in the middle of November and they did not have one kid. I also saw them play at hoop-it-up again without the same kid. But here is what I saw. You need to make Stefan work, and frustrate him by being very physical on him. From what I saw, he gets frustrated easily. You need to make him put the ball on the floor. But he has a one dribble jump shot. You need to make him penetrate. On defense he blocks everything. You need to attack his body and utilize shot fakes to get him off his feet. Dexter is key. I beleive if you shut him down you can beat Xavier. You need to make the two small guards score on offense. When I watched them they were not very intense, so I would press most of the game and put a lot of pressure on the ball especially the kids bringing the ball up.

BCSS vs Xavier 51-50 Win.

Hope this helps everyone.

My rankings for Peel
    1) D'Youville
    2) Goetz
    3) Fletchers
    4) Xavier
    5) Sandalwood
    6) Brampton Centennial
    7) Loyola
    8) Campion

We played against all of these teams. From my games against them. I think D'Youville and Goetz will be in the final. Keep in mind that I haven't seen Xavier at full strength.

Good luck to all of the teams

45 Tournaments hosted
    25 former players at post-secondary programs
    25 tourney championships
    22 All stars
    -----------------------------------------------
    10th SENIOR WINTER CLASSIC CHAMPIONS: St Marcellinus 85 Heart Lake 78
    9th JUNIOR WINTER CLASSIC CHAMPIONS: Campion 67 Xavier 63
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:53 pm

thanks coach, that was a really good break down of the teams
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:19 am

One small correction on Xavier: They were missing two starters, for BCSS not one.

2018 Senior Rimrocker Champions: St. Francis Xavier
    2018 Junior Rimrocker Champions: St. Marguerite d'Youville
    rvd1018
    Junior

Post by rvd1018 Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:21 am

Regardless of who beat who in the season or in tournaments, the playoffs are the battle of the bests. The atmosphere is not even close to the season atmosphere. There is greater determination for the players as they strive to prove tht their team is the best in peel. All these teams are very talented and good but little mistakes here and there cud call the game, it all comes down to who has more whit who has more determination and how many people leave everything on the court. The playoff spirit is one to remember.
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2008-12-07

Post by CoachPaul Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:01 pm

My only regret is that Loyola never got to play any of the teams you have as top 5. Watching them play and actually playing against them are two totally different things for me.

It was a crime that we lost one game all season (by 3 points with no coach) and that means we're out.

Anyway, good luck to all of you.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:53 pm

[quote="CoachPaul"]It was a crime that we lost one game all season (by 3 points with no coach) and that means we're out.[/quote]

It's not a crime; it's the same punishment for breaking the eligibility rules that every other team faces. Coach present foe the last game or not, the playoffs have proven just how weak the south division really was this year. Your team was definitely the best of the bunch but nothing I have seen in the various tournaments I attended or in the playoffs so far makes me think Loyola would have made it to the final four.

For the record, I am 8/8 in playoff predictions so far and so I will stick with what I've written already for the last two rounds.

http://hooptowngtaforums.forumotion.com/junior-bantam-high-school-f6/peel-tier-one-playoff-results-up-next-semi-finals-t2016-15.htm#27389 for those who don't think I picked them all so far.
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2008-12-07

Post by CoachPaul Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:32 am

I know "rules are rules", but what happened was accidental and not intentional. I personally think "the spirit of the rule" should considered and not "the letter of the law".

Maybe people were just being nice to me, but every coach and ref that I spoke to felt that Loyola got the shot end of the stick.

I'm not saying that Loyola would have won the whole thing, but I think the playoffs would have been more interesting with us there. I don't know what games you've seen, but based on the performance of the top 4 against some of the teams that we thrashed this year, I think Loyola could have been in the mix.

Good luck in picking the winner. Looks like you're doing pretty well so far.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:59 pm

D'Youville 66-48 Fletcher's. No surprise there.

(9/9 so far...)
    Judgedemental
    Freshman

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Post by Judgedemental Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:03 pm

Wth. How did dy win.
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Number of posts : 975
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by panathas Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:46 pm

Goetz 67 Xavier 59
    D'Youville 66 Fletchers 48

45 Tournaments hosted
    25 former players at post-secondary programs
    25 tourney championships
    22 All stars
    -----------------------------------------------
    10th SENIOR WINTER CLASSIC CHAMPIONS: St Marcellinus 85 Heart Lake 78
    9th JUNIOR WINTER CLASSIC CHAMPIONS: Campion 67 Xavier 63
    Judgedemental
    Freshman

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Post by Judgedemental Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:04 pm

Goetz vs. D'youville Finals.

Current date/time is Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:24 am