HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+17
innocentbystander
maple kid
CoachPaul
winordie
Zen Master
acie earl 55
tart11
diavoli
coachalkins
wcbasketball
RealBall
NDcoach
anotherlevel
whatupdawg
CoachImgrund
Coach Clement
Dunbarton
21 posters

100 and 90 point differentials are losses not wins

Dunbarton
    Dunbarton
    Freshman

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2008-07-29

100 and 90 point differentials are losses not wins Empty 100 and 90 point differentials are losses not wins

Post by Dunbarton Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:19 pm

I am hoping to engender more discussion on the topic of running up the score by pasting my initial comment on the lob-sided wins at the SBA to a new thread. It seems there are strong feelings on this from parents, coaches and players so hopefully we'll get some more discussion going here with an eye to ending such results.

As hard as coaches work to beat teams by 10 I think they can become more creative when it comes to preserving the feelings of the players of teams who can be beaten by 100. It's not enough to pull off your press after the half. If everything you put up goes in then stop shooting. One may reply: "Asking my players to stop shooting, or make 10 passes, or stop dribbling, or go to a sagging 2-3 zone is unfair to my players and not real basketball." If winning is the primary motivation of your programme then I agree.

On the other hand, if the primary motivation is to develop caring, thoughtful, respectful young men (this goal is not limited to Catholic education of course) then I fail to see what can be gained by beating the likes of Parkdale by 90? (I felt bad for the Parkdale team...a small 500+ inner city 60% ESL school against a 1000+ perennial powerhouse from the Burbs.) While this may not fit someone's definition of no mercy it's certainly not mercy enough.

I was far from the only coach/parent/spectator there dismayed by these lob-sided results.

I can tell you from the experience of losing to Vaughn 111-47 in the finals of their tournament in their gym that my players were not unaffected by such a defeat. I was puzzled by the host coach's decision to continue to pour it on while my bench was in for most of the second half. Perhaps he was caught up in the exciting (hostile) atmosphere of the home crowd hopping with excitement at a 100+ score? Or maybe I am to believe they stood to improve by using my bench as a dummy defense practice squad...who knows. (I must say that the players never taunted, show-boated or otherwise rubbed it in which was nice to see.)

Of course there are those who will continue to hammer weaker teams because "they have work to do" or "this is the real world of basketball" and if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen, but I would like to think that the majority of coaches and players are more interested in the integrity of the game and the developing psyches of the young men we are responsible for.

www.leaguelineup.com/dhsspartans
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

100 and 90 point differentials are losses not wins Empty Re: 100 and 90 point differentials are losses not wins

Post by Coach Clement Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:40 pm

For the record we did not try to run up the score against Brebeuf B and I did several things to try to hold the score down.

It was obviously not successful. I apologize for the outcome.

We stopped fast breaking, we stopped pressing, we rotated our players equally and we stopped shooting threes (although I had to sub a player for shooting one after I said no more threes).

I agree the score was unacceptable. I have never been known as a coach who runs up scores and I do not wish to be in the future.

I try to teach respect for your opponent but I guess I really missed the boat on this one.

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2008-08-04

100 and 90 point differentials are losses not wins Empty Re: 100 and 90 point differentials are losses not wins

Post by CoachImgrund Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:09 pm

As someone that has coached against Coach Clement in the past, I can tell you that, in my opinion, this type of score is not typical of Coach Clement. I have never known him as someone who runs up the score.

We've played MT in the past and, even when badly outmatched, Coach Clement did everything in his power to keep the score under control (i.e. switching from M2M to a zone, subbing off his starters, etc.). It is for this reason that I've decided to play MT in a pre-season exhibition game every year since I've started coaching. If I was worried about a blow-out, I'd never agree to play MT in the first place.

I think all coaches have 'missed the boat' before - I know I have on many occasions in the past. The key is acknowledging a mistake, and making steps to ensure it never happens again.

In my opinion, Coach Clement is one of the classiest coaches out there. The issue, to me, is when a score gets out of hand and the coach DOESN'T find a problem with it. To me, that's really missing the boat.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:18 pm

Thanks for supporting me, Coach!

I have been around long enough to understand about respecting your opponent. We play Brebeuf B again on Thursday.

There will not be a repeat of this mistake!

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement
    whatupdawg
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-01-12

Post by whatupdawg Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:21 pm

tyme for a "no mercy" rul
    Dunbarton
    Dunbarton
    Freshman

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by Dunbarton Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:32 pm

I completely concur with Coach Imgrund. In no way do I mean for this thread to be an MT bashing opportunity. Far from it. I too have missed the boat in the past...I mentioned in the other thread having one of my senior players come and tell me to take off my press because I was up 30 a few games ago! I also agree with Coach Imgrund's assessment of Coach Bob...proof of that class is his comment above. BTW maybe running up the score is too strong...it implies an intent which clearly was not the case with MT.

www.leaguelineup.com/dhsspartans
    anotherlevel
    Freshman

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2009-01-17

Post by anotherlevel Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:42 pm

It's a matter of preference still I see this kinda stuff everyday wheather it's by 50 60 70 points lead. Respect still coach.
    NDcoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Post by NDcoach Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:56 pm

As a coach in the same league as Coach Dougall, I encounter this problem all the time (both in boys and girls). That being said -it is easily dealt with if you have control of your players to the point that they listen to your instruction and play calling for the realization that if they don't they will be sitting on the bench for the forseeable future and then be running for an entire practice the next day!!!!

There is absolutely no need or reason for 100/90/80... point margins in basketball - but sometimes it happens no matter what you do as a coach. Simple solutions that we at ND use: pull off your press, stop playing your half-court trap and man up in the house, practice your offensive plays with your bench - this is invaluable, stop jacking 3's, don't push the ball up the court and most of all have RESPECT for the other team and realize that they are just kids that are playing a game!

I think if more of our coaches/coaching staff were teachers from the representative schools this would be less of a problem because there would be more accountability/responsibility for both players and coaches. I have witnessed many an occassion when an outside coach who has a teacher representative (that has no knowledge of basketball sometimes) with them on the bench allows his/her team to run wild over the other team and all the while the teacher is just sitting there mindless. Coaches also need to be more aware of what tournaments they enter - putting your teir 2/teir 3 team into a tournament in which they will be facing teir 1 teams every game is ridiculous. Find tournaments that are more suitable for your level of play.

I do understand (and appreciate) the need for outside coaches - they are an invaluable asset to any program. We have several at ND and appreciate all that they do. However, they cannot run teams how they see fit. They must abide by the rules of fairplay and understand that it is NEVER OK for a team to lose by 100/90/80... points no matter what the losing team says.

Bottom line - have some RESPECT for your opponent. We are all in this game together - lets make it better.

Coach Van Rhee
    RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Post by RealBall Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:35 pm

Very interesting discussion.
    I commented on the game in question (MT - Brebeuf B) on the SBA tourney post, and I talked about my disappointment with how MT and Coach Clement handled that game against a far weaker opponent.
    Coach Clement I now want to applaud you on your explanation and apology for the outcome of that game. It takes a big man to admit their mistake and you've done that. Thanks and good luck with your squad in the playoffs.

also I think everyone would be interested to hear how your next game against Brebeuf B goes later this week.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:23 am

I want to commend Coach Clement for being classy as always and manning up to what happened. I know that you did not take pride in humiliating another school and the fact that you have responded to critisism of yourself and your school in an apologetic and mature manner only hightens my respect for you.
    I also agree that coaches of schools must have a handle of the level of their team. Parkdale, and Marc Garneau are all Tier 2 teams and should not be in a tournament with the likes of Vaughn , MT , ND, Pope and Pickering. Brebeuf is a "B" team and Thomson is a very weak team in the East region and lost their 3 games in this tournament by a combined 162 points. What does this do for the kids on these teams? It humiliates them. I can guarantee you that not one kid from Thomson, Parkdale or Garneau are saying they are glad they got to play these high level teams and learned a positive lesson from it. I have been reading on here quite a lot that Vaughn loves to run up the score so when you see that they are strong and their coach will show you absolutely no mercy, then as a coach of a weaker school you must decide that this tournament is not for you.
    It seems to be the year of the humiliating blowouts both here and in the US. I have never read about two 100 point victories in a two week span in high school ever until now. Not good publicity for high school ball.
    Once again, Coach Clement a lot of us appreciate what you stated on here. Classy!
    coachalkins
    Freshman

Number of posts : 74
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by coachalkins Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:56 am

We have played 36 games this season. 2 coaches are still not happy with the game we played against them. It is obvious Dunbarton and St. Teresa.
    To these coaches I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings and/or your players feelings. Programs such as Eastern, Pickering, Mother Teresa, D'youville, Henry Carr, Oakwood...have set a very high bar. I'm sorry for trying to meet this bar to the benefit of the student athletes that are looking for that type of opportunity in York Region.
    Furthermore, this season no other team/coach/player/parent/referee has approached me with regards to their game. Including Parkdale, Pineridge and St. Augustine. The other 31 games including the 8 in York Region, where the rules have changed to monitor these types of scoring incidents that may occur, no one has complained. In other words, we are monitoring what our team does to the best of our ability, but different venues or at different times of the year, or when you finally get a chance for your horses to run because you are playing a #1 team in your region or a top 10 team in the GTA, we want to see our potential. We saw the early scores that MT and Pope put up in the SBA tourney, so we thought PF was the way to go, assuming everyone goes 3-0 in their pool and has a +75 margin, later we realized that it was points agianst...that is why against J Clarke Richardson, we rested starters for Sunday and focused on defense to earn the #1 seed. We could have ran up the score but the strategy did not dictate this. Many will say ohh your just making excuses. Fine, your entitled to your opinion. But if our biggest blemish is that on the rare occasion we have a lopsided score, with what is happening this year, we feel we run a pretty tight ship to the best of our abilities.
    We will live with that and learn from it to represent our program and the sport. I know we will never please everyone. wcbasketball I'm surprised you would call us out without getting your facts straight. By the way take a look at the 1994/1995 season at winston churchill. Coach Moura and I built up that program that you enjoy today. There was no team when I got there and we won a tier 2 championship which revitatlized the WC tradition.
    What happened after that, I'm not sure. Know your GTA basketball history.
    For those that remember me at Milliken, when Sarellas and I ran the program and the young men like Skinner and Courtney who carried on the tradition of what is still called a successful program today...make sure you know your local basketball history. It is not about egos, its not about money, its about dedicated indviduals who understand how to build a program for student/athletes that may want to take their game to another level. And the program is not about winning big in basketball....its about growth and development in ALL areas.
    Most never get to see that, but the Vaughan Community/Family knows.
    We hopefully have 7 practices left and hopefully 4 more games. Then its time for me to get in shape for my golf and tennis season and of course my family. My wife is currently a "basketball widow" and Valentines Day is coming up quickly. I will let the community coaches take over....those dedicated indviduals from CanSix, CanUSA, St. Davids, BJC, Bounce, Five O, SBA etc. Without them the athletes' development would be limited.
    And one final thought, if you have an elite athlete, please make sure they are taking the correct courses
    to clear them for D1 or D2, or CIS just in case. I'm tired of hearing about our elite athletes settling.
    It is up to everyone, especially the coaches to make sure if they are lucky enough to have a potential elite athlete entering grade 9 that they make sure the support systems and conversations are made to help that athlete succeed. Set the bar even higher. Make No Excuses.
    diavoli
    Freshman

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2008-10-28

Post by diavoli Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:01 pm

115-15 is what you will be juged on coach. So you are telling me the other coach thanked you for beating his/her team by 100? Your defense is that you want to match the other basketball programs and you thought points scored were the tie-breaker in this tournament. Nice! As long as you can justify it and the Vaughan community is proud of there team keep doing what you are doing. I thought coaches lose their jobs for beating teams by 100?

"But if our biggest blemish is that on the [b]rare[/b] occasion we have a lopsided score, with what is happening this year, we feel we run a pretty tight ship to the best of our abilities."

Love the use of rare.

Last edited by diavoli on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    coachalkins
    Freshman

Post by coachalkins Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:18 pm

diavoli, you are quoting the wrong score.
    115-15 not our game.
    Sorry for your ignorance, get your facts straight.
    Please if you are so informed, we played 36 games this season, name the games you feel were "lopsided".
    I have one in the books...Parkdale C.I. and we could have done a much better job on that one.
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by tart11 Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:14 pm

[quote="coachalkins"] I have one in the books...Parkdale C.I. and we could have done a much better job on that one.[/quote]

Please clarify what you mean by this Coach Alkins....you mean you could have should have blown them out by more than 90 points???
    coachalkins
    Freshman

Post by coachalkins Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:43 pm

tart11 thank you for your question...to clarify...
    When we got to the SBA tournament many games had been played.
    We looked at the scores and were shocked to see all the blowouts below.
    There was a 25 point cap that teams were disregarding, obviously look below or at the SBA post, before someone deletes it.
    We figured there must be a reason.
    What I meant tart11 is we should have done a better job in trying to ask
    Stewart Kerr or the SBA conveynor's why this was happening and what is the strategy behind it, in trying to get a better seeding for Sunday.
    We did not and just followed the strategies of these other teams listed
    below. We could have done a much better job.
    But we did win the tournament and don't take that away from the kids.
    5 games in 27 hours and we beat Pickering B, Notre Dame and Pope to get there.
    Once again take a look at the scores below:

Pool A:
    Pickering A 73 - Don Bosco 24

Pool C:
    Pope John Paul II 92 - Thomson 32

Dunbarton 84 - Thomson 36
    Pool D:
    Mother Teresa 95 - Marc Garneau 33
    Notre Dame (Ajax) 83 - Brebeuf B 25
    Mother Teresa 115 - Brebeuf B 15
    Notre Dame (Ajax) 88 - Marc Garneau 22
    diavoli
    Freshman

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2008-10-28

Post by diavoli Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:02 pm

[quote="coachalkins"]diavoli, you are quoting the wrong score.
    115-15 not our game.
    Sorry for your ignorance, get your facts straight.
    Please if you are so informed, we played 36 games this season, name the games you feel were "lopsided".
    I have one in the books...Parkdale C.I. and we could have done a much better job on that one.[/quote]

Coach they say empty vessels make the most noise. I love that you are calling me ignorant and you have a hard time seeing that you have done anything wrong. Nothing more to add to the discussion. All the best in your quest to make Vaughan a basketball power.
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Post by CoachImgrund Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:08 pm

No apology to Parkdale??
    acie earl 55
    acie earl 55
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 312
    Registration date : 2008-07-13

Post by acie earl 55 Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:26 pm

Are you still fishing for one too?
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Post by CoachImgrund Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:56 pm

Give it a rest Acie. If you've been reading anything you'd realize this is about games with 80+ point margins.

Move on. Find someone else to bug or come out and identify which York Region coach you are...

Envy is the highest form of flattery.

Last edited by CoachImgrund on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Zen Master
    Freshman

Registration date : 2008-11-30

Post by Zen Master Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:01 pm

CoachImgrund

I am not a Member of the Vaughan Community.............SORRY for the output and outcome of your game

Now that you got it, Please......LET YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND COACHING SPEAK ON THE COURT .....Lets see if Vaughan and STL meet in the finals..and If this happens, and the same output happens, will you be back on Hooptown searching for a Apology?

LET THE KIDS PLAY
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Post by CoachImgrund Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:10 pm

Zen - If you've been following this at all, you'd realize we've moved on. Coach Alkins and I have already discussed and closed the issue on our game.

Dunbarton brought up the only two 90+ point games this season. One coach apologized, the other coach justified. My comment was that in my opinion, an apology is owed HERE.

I can care less if I ever get an apology. I have other things to focus on like my son and the playoffs.
    winordie
    Freshman

Number of posts : 106
    Registration date : 2008-08-25

Post by winordie Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:43 pm

This is not house league. If your team loses by a lot they should re-evaluate what they level they are competing at. If you lose by a lot it is not traumatic it just means you came up against a more formidable opponent. We were once winning 51-0 at half time and the other team left without finishing the game. By the 2nd quarter we were playing 5 passes before a shot, no three pointers and no press. I did tell my kids to play defense as we were not going to not try. That would be even more humiliating for the other team. Stop whining, if you can't take a thorough beating you should not play competitively. It is part of the game. It is not about humiliating the other team. It could be they are working on things, or everything is clicking, or the bench guys are hyped that they are getting a lot of floor time. In the end the kids who lost survived and even laughed about the ass whooping they got. The team also decided they should move down a level where they could compete and work at getting better.
    whatupdawg
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-01-12

Post by whatupdawg Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:46 pm

Dunbarton 84 - Thomson 36

ey wher d apolgy lol
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:04 am

Coach Alkins, you seem to be very bitter towards anybody that disagrees with your method of coaching. I didn't call you out, I simply brought up that you are well known for showing no mercy. I didn't need to be at the game to know this. A 90 point win is more than enough evidence.I just called a spade a spade.I am also going by what has been posted from the coaches of Dunbarton and St Theresa regarding your methods. I highly respect both of these individuals and once again, the score is proof of their beef with you.
    The fact that you bring up the other blowouts before your game proves that you were using them as a measuring stick. So hey, I guess that makes it right. If other teams are disregarding the 25 point differential, why do you have to do the same? Also, the point differential would only apply in your group and there were no blowouts of epic porportions in your group before you played. I believe 23 points was the biggest margain. You know full well that a 100 point win in Pool D has no affect or bearing on your division.
    I'm glad that you brought up the other blowouts because you can clearly read the reaction of Coach Bob at MT who stated his disappointment in the way his situation was handled. No excuses, no attacks, just manning up as he always does. You get extremely defensive and address us who disagrees with you as children who have no clue. You actually corrected "diavoli" and gave your famous "Get your facts straight" response. What's the difference between 90 and 100 points other than 10? Nothing, it is just as humiliating.
    I am well versed on the history of GTA basketball but I don't know where you coaching in 1994/1995 at Winston Churchill could be considered of any historical importance to me. You seem to have a very large opinion of yourself and your history at Churchill and Milliken Mills has absolutely nothing to do with the topic we are discussing here. It only gives you an opportunity to toot your own horn and inflate your ego. There are no banners hanging in our gym with your name putting you as the saviour of Winston Churchill basketball. Come on now, let's come back down to earth.
    I do not expect you to apologize to Parkdale because you have your own style of coaching. I have made it clear that I am more disappointed in coaches putting obviously infurior teams into a high level tournament. I clearly have my facts straight so don't fly off the deep end. I am entitled to my opinion as you are yours.

Good luck on your season
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2008-12-07

Post by CoachPaul Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:56 am

Isn't this the same argument that everyone was having over the girl's 100-0 win?

I don't think anyone is "really" out to "humiliate" anybody when they come out to play. Take a look at my game yesterday (Loyola vs Iona). I only had 7 guys and most of them were not starters. We beat Iona 92-56 (36 point win). We pressed early to get the lead but then took it off.

Many people have commented that the talent on Loyola is not that great. We're not rated a top team by anybody. When a team like this is playing 3 or 4 bench players throughout the game, we're not pressing AND we beat the other team by 36 points, what does this tell you about the other team? It tells you that Iona is a VERY weak team. I could tell that the Iona coach was pissed off at me when some of my guys pressed late in the game when we were already up by a ton. But, this was not by design,they just did it on their own (I had to constantly tell them to stop it). The kids just start getting excited about the amount of playing time they're getting and how well they were clicking. I appologized to the Iona coach afterward about the non-intentional pressing. But, I won't appologize that my bench beat his team by 36.

What's the difference between 36, 46 and 56 (or for that matter 86). It's still a thrashing isn't it? I was the one suggesting a "mercy rule" for just this sort of situation. Iona obviously had no hope of wining. If I had my starters on the whole game and was pressing, we would have beaten Iona by 86. So why not call a spade a spade and stop the game? Two coaches can agree that there's no point in continuing the game and stop it. The only other option seems to be to tell your players to stop playing. At that point you're no longer playing basketball and it becomes an exercise is "feelings" management.

Current date/time is Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:37 am