HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+28
bramptonballer
RealBall
ball4life
coachalkins
mr_09
CoachImgrund
Baller5
panathas
Tila_Tequila
HooptownGTA
Coach Mike
CoachPaul
saints11
Dunbarton
freezadakilla
Be$t Baller$
theunknown2009
whatupdawg
Henry_Carr_20
Coach Clement
DatBaller15
minihotsauce
Up&Comer
simple touch5
newballer
eastern23
Xavier Rimrocker
skerr1
32 posters

SBA HS Boys Shootout - The Teams

HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5447
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

SBA HS Boys Shootout - The Teams - Page 3 Empty Re: SBA HS Boys Shootout - The Teams

Post by HooptownGTA Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:02 pm

Semi-finals:
    Vaughan 51 - Notre Dame (Ajax) 35
    Pope John Paul II 63 - Pickering A 58

Phone & Text: 647-668-6890
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/HooptownGTA
    Twitter: @HooptownGTA
    Instagram: hooptowngta
    Dunbarton
    Dunbarton
    Freshman

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2008-07-29

SBA HS Boys Shootout - The Teams - Page 3 Empty Re: SBA HS Boys Shootout - The Teams

Post by Dunbarton Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:05 pm

I didn't see that game but I do know that we have an imbalance in our league (it's basically Pickering, ND, Dunbarton then the rest...although JCR and Pineridge have come along since the beginning of the season) where we play some really weak teams.

In the past we have ordered the kids to make 10 passes before they shoot, stick to a weak zone, sit the starters of course, etc. I will admit that sometimes you get a little caught up, especially when coaching by yourself, and forget what the score is...I have had one of our seniors come over and say, "Mr. Dougall you're up by 30 take your press off". I felt bad about that one. The important thing here is our kids recognize that it is unsportsmanlike to embarrass another team...especially in our gym as they are our guests.

I think this teaches or kids how to be somewhat humble, disciplined and more mature. For me, it would reflect poorly on myself, my team and my school if we were to treat other teams unkindly.

Coach Dougall

Last edited by Dunbarton on Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

www.leaguelineup.com/dhsspartans
    coachalkins
    Freshman

Number of posts : 74
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by coachalkins Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:57 pm

SBA 2009 Championship Game

Vaughan S.S. 69 Pope Jonh Paul II 50

Roshane Roberts high scorer 18 Points.

SBA 2009 Tournament MVP - Dinjiyl Walker 34 points, 32 points, 20 points,
    15 points(semis), 15 points (finals)
    Team all stars -
    Cy Richards Samuels, Henry Tan, Troy Reid Knight, Aiddian Walters

Thank you Steward Kerr and the SBA family for a well organized tournament. Thank you Hoopdome. The Vaughan Family extends their gratitude. Good luck to all teams in the playoffs.
    ball4life
    Freshman

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2008-12-17

Post by ball4life Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:53 pm

What is going on with Basketball? Coach Clement when you lost to Pope in a league game you said you played mostly your Gr 9's now you beat a team by 100 it's the same reason! Those that make it sound better if you win or lose?

What was the opposing coach thinking? You have to know the calibre of the teams entering but what does the coach of the stronger team do when you realize how this game is going to turn out!

SWING, MOTION, was this not an option????? There is no song and dance that can explain what both Vaughan and MT did to those teams, 100 + 90?

MT lost by 1 point to ND, oh sorry you were playing with mostly Gr 9's!! A loss is never a nice feeling but how would you feel to have lost by 100!

Coach D/Imgrund - this game is no longer about the development of children because we love the sport! We wonder why our youth involved in the sport behave the way they do! The things that happen on the court? Bragging rights? The ability to say we killed them by so much???

The emotion on the bench when MT lost was heavy! Oh bad calls, Grade 9's, yes we are sure these are all the reasons!!

Coach D and Imgrund I wish you were involved in the GTA maybe with the thoughts that you have shared here would shake things up in a more positive direction!

Coach Clement try walking a mile in weak shoes!!!
    Tila_Tequila
    Freshman

Number of posts : 280
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post by Tila_Tequila Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:33 pm

Goodjob Vaughan
    RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Post by RealBall Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:59 pm

I was also very disapointed with the Mother Teresa 115 - 15 win. I can understand 50 point, maybe even 60 point blowouts. But I see no reason to crush a far weaker team by 100 points. None. When your that much better than the other team you should be able to control the score.

MT did not ease up at all. If I'm not mistaken some starters were in the game right to the buzzer, and they were still firing away and hitting 3s against the Brebeuf bench. I didnt see Vaughn-Parkdale so I can't comment, but that also seems excessive.

After the game you could see the Brebeuf kids were crushed, one player was so embarrased he had tears in his eyes. I pulled him aside and told him good game, Dont worry about the score, and if he loves ball keep working on his game. I had to try to leave him with something positive. Rememeber these are Grade 9 and 10 kids we're talking about, not professional or university scholorship athletes.

I'm not a basketball strategist, but I am a parent. And I wonder isn't there a better way to beat a severely out-matched opponent without embarassing the coach, parents, and especially the kids?

No disrespect Coach Clement, everybody knows your a great coach and you have a talented junior team. I recognize your dedication to MT basketball and your students. But that win was ugly.
    whatupdawg
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-01-12

Post by whatupdawg Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:05 pm

fo Dunbarton n coachimgrund
    Guy Vetrie tourny:
    Mother Teresa from Scarborough was a 91-26 winner over the Sault's Korah Colts
    Eastern Commerce from Toronto secured a 72-15 win over Elliot Lake Secondary School
    Sarnia Northern moved on to the semi’s with an 86-26 defeat of Elliot Lake
    Montreal's Georges Vanier defeated Blind River's W. C. Eaket 96-35
    Toronto's Eastern Commerce defeated Korah 73-19
    whatya say now buoyy?
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2008-08-04

Post by CoachImgrund Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:58 pm

Ball4life: I agree - changes need to be made. Unfortunately, not all coaches seem to feel the way Coach D and I do. After all, aside from us two, there aren't any other coaches coming out and saying that this is wrong and that another approach could have been taken. With more coaches and players getting on board, I think a positive change can be made.

RealBall: It was nice to hear comments from a parent on this issue. Thanks for putting a face to this issue.

It would be nice to hear from one of the players on the losing squad about this, to add some more depth to this conversation.

It is sad to see that there are still people out there who think all of this is okay. I remember when I first started coaching the senior girls team at our school a season after the previous coach blew out another school 90 to 10. I never heard the end of it at every meeting, tournament, etc., I went to, and for good reason. Although I was not involved in this, there was complete outrage about what was done. Is it because it was in girls basketball? Is the fact that this is boys basketball a reason people think this is okay?
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Number of posts : 975
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by panathas Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:25 pm

The biggest blowout win I've had was a 72-10 win.

These are the strategies I took: my 5 weakest players played 80% of the game, I instructed my players to have no fast break whatsoever, to allow their defense to set-up, to run motion for at least 4-5 reversals before a shot, I told my players to only shoot jumpers inside the 3 point line and to avoid taking lay-ups, as well, I told them not to attempt to block any shots and to not have any ball pressure. We literally allowed penetration to the basket on purpose. We obviously played zone. All that and we still won by 62 points.

I am not sure what strategies the MT or Vaughan coaches undertook to prevent such a result, but sometimes nothing works in preventing a blowout.

I also lost a game by 53 points, and the other team pressed the whole game. They outscored us 33-2 in the 4th quarter. The coach said that he wanted to teach his players to play hard at all times. I don't agree, teaching the kids compassion and empathy is far more important then teaching them to play hard at all times during a game.

45 Tournaments hosted
    25 former players at post-secondary programs
    25 tourney championships
    22 All stars
    -----------------------------------------------
    10th SENIOR WINTER CLASSIC CHAMPIONS: St Marcellinus 85 Heart Lake 78
    9th JUNIOR WINTER CLASSIC CHAMPIONS: Campion 67 Xavier 63
    bramptonballer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2008-11-20

Post by bramptonballer Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:00 am

Coach Clement i herd De-Shaun had a 35 is that true
    bramptonballer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2008-11-20

Post by bramptonballer Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:00 am

Coach Clement i herd De-Shaun had a 35 is that true
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295

Post by Coach Clement Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:44 am

[quote="ball4life"]What is going on with Basketball? Coach Clement when you lost to Pope in a league game you said you played mostly your Gr 9's now you beat a team by 100 it's the same reason! Those that make it sound better if you win or lose?

What was the opposing coach thinking? You have to know the calibre of the teams entering but what does the coach of the stronger team do when you realize how this game is going to turn out!

SWING, MOTION, was this not an option????? There is no song and dance that can explain what both Vaughan and MT did to those teams, 100 + 90?

MT lost by 1 point to ND, oh sorry you were playing with mostly Gr 9's!! A loss is never a nice feeling but how would you feel to have lost by 100!

Coach D/Imgrund - this game is no longer about the development of children because we love the sport! We wonder why our youth involved in the sport behave the way they do! The things that happen on the court? Bragging rights? The ability to say we killed them by so much???

The emotion on the bench when MT lost was heavy! Oh bad calls, Grade 9's, yes we are sure these are all the reasons!!

Coach D and Imgrund I wish you were involved in the GTA maybe with the thoughts that you have shared here would shake things up in a more positive direction!

Coach Clement try walking a mile in weak shoes!!![/quote]

Were you coherent at the time you wrote this?

Because what you have written is not!

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement
    ball4life
    Freshman

Post by ball4life Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:07 am

Were you coherent at the time you wrote this?

Because what you have written is not!

Is that the only response you could come up with! Sarcasm towards me is not going to change what happened so if it floats your boat, knock yourself out coach!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:16 am

If I could make any sense out of what you write I could respond.

How is one to respond to such disjointed and illogical ramblings as these?

You seem an unworthy opponent!

whatupdawg
    Sophomore

Post by whatupdawg Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:20 am

afta dis tourny iz vaughn #1 nd Pope #2 now?
    ball4life
    Freshman

Post by ball4life Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:30 pm

Coach Clement as if to add to the sad state of affairs showed by your team you are now attempting to belittle what I sad!

Sad, sad, sad to be you! If your reading abilities are challenged fine sir! I will not attempt to explain what I said but leave you in your ignorance! My point was made and for those that can read and understand will get what I'm saying!

As for being a worthy opponent - coach you are in that class by yourself! I’ll stay down where you’re trying to put me,! You sir can not take away from what you did by attempting to belittle me! So you go with your fine self coach! We could go on like this all day!

I’ll be the bigger person and bow out and let you claim your victory of words and the court!
    whatupdawg
    Sophomore

Post by whatupdawg Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:53 pm

yo iz vaun #1 now or iz SBA jus a flop tourny?
    simple touch5
    Freshman

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by simple touch5 Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:59 pm

naw probably second and pickering will move down to like 4th and pope to 3rd
    Lawd A Mercy
    Freshman

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2008-09-11

Post by Lawd A Mercy Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:37 pm

this is definitely sad to see a blowout like this
    i was watching the game,deshaun prolly had over 30 points
    starters were in until the 4th quarter
    and then people start to wonder why everybody outside of MT hates that school
    how about you guys teach your kids something besides basketball
    because lord knows how many failures and 5th year players MT has had over the years
    whatupdawg
    Sophomore

Post by whatupdawg Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:45 pm

eheh anotha mthata...fo evere mthata i betz dere is a mtlova
    Coach White
    Freshman

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2008-10-25

SBA HS Boys Shootout - The Teams - Page 3 Empty keeping scores down - ND response

Post by Coach White Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:25 pm

[quote="CoachImgrund"]Thank you Dunbarton. I don't think enough coaches are speaking out against lopsided scores.

To me, it's obvious that some coaches have a different agenda, and, sometimes, it's at the expense of another team. It seems like it's gotten worse this season. As you said, players ARE affected by lopsided scores - how couldn't they be?

I'm still curious as to what strategies Notre Dame used against Parkdale, to keep the margin to at less than 60. I mean, they were obviously the best team in their group that day, but only beat Parkdale by less than 60. Still a big margin, but you can see that the attempt was there.[/quote]

What did we do to keep the scores down? To start with we rolled lines from the beginning. We knew what we were up against pretty much before the game started. Our starters played the entire game but mixed in with bench players in lines and we didn't press after the first quarter. We also used the game as an opportunity to practice some offence that we just put in. We didn't restrict fast break (although we have in other games).

I have a real problem as a coach with my team hitting the century mark. I have had it done to my team (at another school) and it was not fun. At the same time I am not innocent and have had problems with what can be seen as "running up the score". In a league game this year in which we won by 41 points the opposing coach was incensed when one of my players hit a 3 pointer with about 40 seconds to go in the game. This was actually the most competitive league game we had had to that point and I figured that my subs deserved to play out the game instead of running down the clock so I didn't instruct them to hold the ball or not to take 3's. The player had an open shot, took it, and drained it. I totally understand why the coach was upset with me. The optics of taking and hitting a three close to the end of the game make it seem like you are running up the score. The optics of scoring a hundred points against a much weaker opponent sends the same message.

Although we didn't run up the score against Brebeuf B or Marc Garneau my players did take the opportunity to attempt and make several dunks. I am curious to know where people stand on that??
    LETSGOMOTHERTERESA
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Post by LETSGOMOTHERTERESA Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:13 pm

Clearly there are some Mt haters , everyone hates mt because they are one of the best . Just in case some people did not know , mt players are NOT aloud to play unless they are passing all courses with a reasonable percentage, and also 5th year students are there CLEARLY for ball...de-shaun is the man regardless....
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:28 pm

I purposely did not respond to Lawd A Mercy's ignorant and inaccurate post but since there is now a response, let me add the following.

There are only two 5th year players on the Senior roster Onnex and Jermaine. The rest are all Gr. 10, 11 and 12 and most will be back. Plus there will be some strong Juniors moving up from a Top Ten Junior team.

And yes, we do sit players at both levels when they do not measure up in some way academically, behaviourally, whatever.

We have some outstanding Gr. 8's coming in next year a bunch of them. As a matter-of-fact, it will be one of the best classes in the history of the school.

Do not expect any downturn in MT's fortunes in the immediate future. We have a history of developing our own talent.

So haters can hate all they like it's not going to change a thing!

stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:02 pm

I believe that the MT program is by far the cleanest out of all the top schools.

I personally do not remember any basketball transfers or recruits from MT ever being discussed. I could be wrong but they win with home grown talent.

Coming back for a 5th year doesnt always mean your a failure. I came back for my 5th year because I wanted to play basketball. I had already graduated and could have gone to university. I wasnt a top player and had no chance of playin anywhere at the next level. The experience alone of being apart of a team brought me back. I'm sure it brings others back aswell.

Current date/time is Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:51 pm