HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+12
money1234
wcbasketball
Up&Comer
zonekiller
tart11
CoachImgrund
Coach Clement
acie earl 55
stevelogan92
CoachPaul
elite baller9
16 posters

should players be playing senior

CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2008-12-07

should players be playing senior - Page 2 Empty Re: should players be playing senior

Post by CoachPaul Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:19 pm

I think you proved my point. There were a number of bad calls. Some were in your favour, some in mine.

There is however, a difference between winning a game and being a better team. Winning means you get 2 points. Being better means that most of the time when the two teams play, the better team will win.

I suppose that you can say that on the day you won against us that you were the "better" team.
    zonekiller
    Junior

Number of posts : 649
    Registration date : 2008-08-08

should players be playing senior - Page 2 Empty Re: should players be playing senior

Post by zonekiller Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:37 pm

coach paul obviously doesnt get it. if you notice all the 'seasoned" coaches that responded had the "right answers" and werent looking at blame outside of himself confused
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Post by CoachPaul Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:20 pm

I get exactly what the other guys are saying. I just don't happen to share the same point of view. My point was not to "cast blame". My point was just to say that most of the teams are very very equal. When these teams play and someone "wins" by 1 point I don't beleive they are a "better" team. They won the game, that's all. They did not "prove" that they are "better".

I've given this example before: The Pacers beat Boston AND LA this year and yet they are one of the worst teams. According to you, that makes Pacers "better" than both Boston and LA. Go ahead and give my a 'snappy' answer on that one.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I feel that coaching for 8 years, and having 3 OBA and one National title behind my name qualifies me as 'seasoned'. Sorry zonekiller, but what are your qualifications?
    money1234
    Freshman

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2008-12-14

Post by money1234 Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:47 pm

u never coached for 8 years get that out of your head holy u sat on the bench and took care of your son sometimes you were at the end of the bench not even an assistant coach
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Post by CoachPaul Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:50 pm

I was assistant coach with Wells Davis on Monarchs for the last 4 years. I helped coach non-OBA teams (house-league stuff) prior to that. I ran Monarchs practices by myself many times. I sat beside coach Wells at every game. I never sat at the far end of the bench. You obviously know absolutely nothing.

Don't take my word for it. Ask Jayy Skeet, Tychon Carter-Newman, Renier Croft, Wells Davis, Theon Reefer, Keyon Mayers, Kevin Pangos (just to name a few). After you've spoken to at least one of them, then you can comment. Until then, you're just another kid shooting off his mouth when you haven't the faintest clue about what the reality is.
    money1234
    Freshman

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2008-12-14

Post by money1234 Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:13 pm

honestly u have no clue about what ur talking about and i really think that u came on this site to boost ur son, face it he has fallen off and no one talks about him being one of the best for his age so u came on this website throwing little things about nick on here and trying to get his name out again and i think many people would agree with me on this one Laughing
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Post by CoachPaul Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:31 pm

You know I think you should change you name to Loser5678.
    Up&Comer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Up&Comer Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:39 pm

LMFAO!!! no matter how hilarious that is...
    coach paul your better than that styll

Last edited by Up&Comer on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
    elite baller9
    Freshman

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by elite baller9 Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:19 am

LOL dis coach came back with teh loser5678 ohhh mannn
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Post by CoachPaul Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:21 am

[quote="Up&Comer"]LMFAO!!! no matter how hilarious that is...
    coach paul your better than that styll[/quote]

Yeah, I know. Sorry. The kid just wouldn't let up with his mouth.
    zonekiller
    Junior

Number of posts : 649
    Registration date : 2008-08-08

Post by zonekiller Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:25 am

"Maybe I'm missing something here, but I feel that coaching for 8 years, and having 3 OBA and one National title behind my name qualifies me as 'seasoned'. Sorry zonekiller, but what are your qualifications?" (Coach Paul quote)

Coach Paul (and I use that term coach lightly in reference to you). I am zonekillers father and i could not help but read over the garbage that you have been writing.

I have been involved in basketball as a playe,r coach and administrator into the the international level of play. It disturbs when I read some of you comments, that you are actually leading our young kids. You are a travesty amongst the fraternity of true coaches.

A coach, first and foremost is an educator, of the game and of life (whether you like it or not). If I were a bench player player on your team, I'll tell you to f*** yourself. You DO NOT be-little a kid or a group. If fact you should be working doubly hard on the weker kids to ensure you have a stronger bench.

You should leave your ego in the parking lot before entering a gym and go out and teach these guys. All Im readin is complete arrogance on your part.
    I can go on and on, and this will be the first and last time that I get on a public forum to express my thoughts as this one. You sir are a joke; an absolute farce to the real coaches out there and you should refrain in engaging young kids into debates/conversations.

Unfortunately, it looks like your son will bear the brunt of your stupidity.

Take the advice of Coach Clement and some of the other coaches that write on this forum.

I will not reveal who I am because it will shock many of you, but a word of advice coach paul (i use that term VERY lightly) mend your ways, theres still time.

Just call me the longtime time coach Very Happy
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Post by CoachPaul Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:19 pm

Sorry you feel that way. Anyone that knows me knows I care about the kids and I do my best for them.

All I've been doing is sharing my opinion on stuff.

When a "kid" disrespects you during practice do you pat him on the head and say "well done"? No. So why is this any different. If I write something that you disagree with, be my guest and disagree and give me your side of the story. But when a kid is giving me a constant earfull of garbage and has NO facts to back it up then that's disrespect.

I respect your opinion.
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by tart11 Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:28 pm

[quote="CoachPaul"]

All I've been doing is sharing my opinion on stuff.

But when a kid is giving me a constant earfull of garbage and has NO facts to back it up then that's disrespect.
    [/quote]

Disrespect? Or just that kids personal opinion??? Which one Coach Paul?
    VCforMVP
    Freshman

Number of posts : 81

Post by VCforMVP Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:04 pm

Coach Paul I do believe that you shouldnt be calling kids out and putting them down saying they aren't talented enough and all that garbage. You did this in the first few posts as you were naming examples of players that played up and weren't very sucessful their first year. It's not fair for them because you are targeting them and disrespecting them publicly. Does anyone else see this as a problem/mistake?

VC
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Post by CoachPaul Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:54 pm

I don't think that what I'm doing is "calling kids out and putting them down". There are some kids that are playing sr. that definitely should not be there. I'm not putting the kid down. If you would care to read the entire post I made previously, here's part of what I said: ....... "This year a kid named Jaylen (not Jaylen Parkingson-Roberts on Jr. team) made the same mistake. He lacks the size, speed and talent to play at the Sr. level. He would have been great as a Jr. though. With him on the Jr. team I think we could have been a top 10 team in the GTA."

On a subsequent post [stevelogan92] agrees with me ... "A JUNIOR SHOULD NEVER MOVE UP IF HE IS GOING TO RIDE THE PINE! If your going to move up and can get around 10 minutes a game then move up.
    Jaylen on the senior squad definatly made a mistake. Game experience at whatever level is key. Riding the bench doesnt help you in grade 9."

On another post when two players were being compared someone said something along the line of "finally a coach sees a couple of players and tells it how it is".

Nobody is doing any kid a favour by stroking his ego and telling him he's better than he is. Isn't that what this post was originally trying to get at? The only reason it looks like I'm "calling someone out" is because you know who I am. All of you constantly say things like "that kid sucks, this guy is greezy, this guy's great, no he's not, stop riding his jock, stop boosting, on and on and on.

Those types of comments are destructive and angry. What I've tried to do (obviously with no success at all) is try to make constructive critisism. Whenever someone does something great I try to complement it. Take a look at my comments on Anthony Bennet (for example). Likewise, when I feel a little critisism is required I'm not shy about making my views known.
    maple kid
    Freshman

Number of posts : 88
    Registration date : 2008-12-04

Post by maple kid Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:25 am

coach paul you must really love looking at your posts!!!
    fellas dont let up...........keep giving it to coach paul, it might sink in sooner or later!! LOL
    ball4life
    Freshman

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2008-12-17

Post by ball4life Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:52 am

Coach Pual,

Maybe you should see the trend that is taking place with your comments!!! Every thread you get involved in takes the same path, with the same results! A certain discussion has even been deleted!! Who deceided that you should be the one to "call out" the skills of players? Have you ever heard of positive feedback???? Apparently not! You do know that these are kids right? Players have parents, family members that do take a look at the Hooptown Boards!!! Your son is a player, of couse it is what every kids needs a parent that calls out his peers!!!

You want to impress on players your knowledge, express how someone can improve on their skills! Posts what are good plays! There really is no need to call names/teams, mentoring is a huge responsibility! As a coach ad parent I would like to think that is where your heart is!!! Can you not try the positive approach, you would be surprised at the response!!! Again, none of the feedback that you seem to be getting is sinking in with you! It's amazing that Hooptown has been around for some time and it would appear that you woke up one day and felt the need to impose on us all your opinions!! As you mentioned about not doing any favours stroking egos, there is a thin line between straight talk and bad manners!!
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Post by CoachPaul Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:41 pm

OK, let me put and end to this. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. It was never my intention to do that.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:57 pm

Hey Coach! I think that you dug yourself a hole that you could not get out of. I give you credit for realizing that it was time to put the gauntlet down and just apologize and let everybody understand that you had no intention to hurt anybody.
    With that being said, it is time for all of us to give the man a break as he has done the mature thing and apologize. There is no reason to beat this man down any further. I do hope that you learned from this though coach. Your heart seems to be in the right place but you have to deliver better than you did. Good luck on your season and keep doing what your doing.
    maple kid
    Freshman

Number of posts : 88
    Registration date : 2008-12-04

Post by maple kid Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:19 pm

Im looking forward to seeing some positive insights from a coaches perspective from you coach paul
    Up&Comer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Up&Comer Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:19 pm

its all good coach you were probably just too bold but hopefully its all done........LORD PLEASE LET IT BE DONE......FOR THE SAKE OF HOOPTOWN
    lol
    VCforMVP
    Freshman

Number of posts : 81

Post by VCforMVP Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:41 pm

lol up&comer
    But I still dont agree with what you said way back about blmaing a bad ref for a loss. A loss is a loss , you shouldnt make excuses, just take the L and learn from it.
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Post by CoachPaul Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:05 pm

[quote="VCforMVP"]lol up&comer
    But I still dont agree with what you said way back about blmaing a bad ref for a loss. A loss is a loss , you shouldnt make excuses, just take the L and learn from it.[/quote]

Guys, I truely love all of you. Please beleive me when I say that everything just got out of control (somehow). I've always been known as someone that says things "as I see it". This has gotten me into hot water before, but it's who I am. I never mean anything bad. I am one of the good guys, beleive me.

In reference to the last comment about the refs and the outcome of games, I would like to draw your attention to a little article in the "Globe and Mail" (newspaper) sports section on Thurs Jan 1//2009. Now I doubt that anyone has a copy of this, but I'm sure that you could look it up on-line at GlobeAndMail.com if you wanted to. This article was in reference to the U.S. vs. Canada hockey game in the WORLD Jr. Hockey tournament. No, this has nothing do do with basketball, but it has everything to do with sports (in general) and how refs can/do sometimes determine the outcome of a game. I'm giving you a direct quote:

"... American head coach Ron Rolston was angry and demanded a conference with the officials. "I thought the refereeing was severly inadequate," Rolston said" ...

I know that I'm not the best coach around. I know that I don't know as much about basketball as many of the other coaches do. But, my experience with refs and the outcome of games is "MY" experience and is the basis upon which I make my comments. Nobody can tell me that I didn't live through some of the games that I did.

You might call me somebody that's not "Seasoned" and that's why I "I'm wrong", but you can't call the coach of the American Jr. National Hockey team somebody that is not "seasoned", can you?.

How do you explain his comments? I though a loss is a loss and you need to just accept it because bad calls go evenly both ways - don't "make excuses". Is the coach of the American Jr. National team "making excuses" and just blaming the refs for "his" bad coaching, or maybe, just maybe, is there a little bit more to this?
    lockdown
    Freshman

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2009-01-04

Post by lockdown Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:11 pm

you've got a point
    ball4life
    Freshman

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2008-12-17

Post by ball4life Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:05 am

Coach Paul,

This is the best comment you have put out! I can't knock you when it is negative and not commend you on the good!

I quite agree that refs can are and are often in the position of determining the out come of a close game! I think we have all been there at some point in time!

Like every other area in life, there are the lemons that will not change and you can always anticipate the outcome! For the most part there are a lot of great refs out there but they get lumped in with the lemons! Depending on the team, depending on the location of game, depending on the ref!

If you kids aren't getting the calls, what do you do, is the ref going to admit that he screwed, hell no! As a coach you find a way to beat those "bad" calls! Do you always win no!

This is a very sensative subject!

Current date/time is Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:41 am