HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+3
estebanwilliamos
Prime Time
Coach Devo
7 posters

Pocock Jr. Boys Invitational Tournament

Coach Devo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2011-12-04

Pocock Jr. Boys Invitational Tournament Empty Pocock Jr. Boys Invitational Tournament

Post by Coach Devo Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:35 pm

Philip Pocock Junior Boys Invitational Tournament
    Philip Pocock Catholic Secondary School
    4555 Tomken (Tomken and Eglington)
    Mississauga, Ontario

Friday December 9th and Saturday December 10th, 2011

Eight-team tournament:
    Philip Pocock (Mississauga)
    Brebeuf (Woodbridge)
    Turner-Fenton (Brampton)
    Humberview (Bolton)
    St. Famille (Mississauga)
    Barrie Eastview (Barrie)
    Holy Trinity (Oakville)
    Bramalea (Brampton)

Friday December 9th
    Game 1: 10:00 am, Turner-Fenton 44 Brebeuf 36
    Game 2: 11:35 am, Pocock 53 Humberview 46
    Game 3: 01:00 pm, Bramalea 62 St. Famille 45
    Game 4: 02:30 pm, Holy Trinity 65 Barrie Eastview 29
    Game 5: 04:00 pm, W1 Turner-Fenton 30 vs. L2 Humberview 36
    Game 6: 05:30 pm, W2 Pocock 54 vs. L1 Brebeuf 31
    Game 7: 07:00 pm, W3 Bramalea 59 vs. L4 Barrie Eastview 55
    Game 8: 08:30 pm, W4 Holy Trinity 68 vs. L3 St. Famille 35

Saturday December 10th
    Semi-Final: 09:00 am, Humberview 90 vs. Bramalea 84
    Semi-Final: 10:30 am, Pocock 41 vs. Holy Trinity 60
    Friendly: 12:00 pm, Turner-Fenton 36 vs. Barrie Eastview 32
    Friendly: 01:30 pm, St. Famille 50 vs Brebeuf 45
    Final: 03:00 pm, Humberview 36 vs. Holy Trinity 67
    Coach Devo
    Freshman

Pocock Jr. Boys Invitational Tournament Empty Re: Pocock Jr. Boys Invitational Tournament

Post by Coach Devo Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Another tournament victory for Holy Trinity giving them five on the season. HT breezed relatively easily through the tournament. They faced a little bit of adversity versus Pocock. The home squad battled back in the third quarter to bring the score within 5 before trailing off again in the fourth quarter.
    Coach Devo
    Freshman

Pocock Jr. Boys Invitational Tournament Empty Re: Pocock Jr. Boys Invitational Tournament

Post by Coach Devo Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:13 pm

Tournament All-Stars:

DamiAnn Prehay (Bramalea)
    Sasha Otzyv (Philip Pocock)
    Jordan Keane (Humberview)
    Lucas Orlita (Holy Trinity)

Tournament MVP:

Kimbal MacKenzie (Holy Trinity)
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 343
    Registration date : 2008-09-09

Post by Prime Time Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:32 pm

[quote="Coach Devo"]Another tournament victory for Holy Trinity giving them five on the season. HT breezed relatively easily through the tournament. They faced a little bit of adversity versus Pocock. The home squad battled back in the third quarter to bring the score within 5 before trailing off again in the fourth quarter. [/quote]

When are they going to enter a tournament with teams in the top 16.....?
    estebanwilliamos
    Freshman

Number of posts : 80
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Post by estebanwilliamos Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:50 pm

Holy Trinity will be in the Xavier Rimrocker.
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Post by Prime Time Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:56 am

[quote="estebanwilliamos"]Holy Trinity will be in the Xavier Rimrocker.[/quote]

Good, now everyone will get a chance to see them play against stronger competition.
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:14 pm

for real, why do they enter such bad tournaments? and so many of them?

I'm sure they can get into any tournament they want. So they are in the rimrocker? is that the one good one they are in out of 10? are they in the all catholics?
    estebanwilliamos
    Freshman

Number of posts : 80
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Post by estebanwilliamos Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:59 pm

Mu2 wrote:for real, why do they enter such bad tournaments? and so many of them?

I'm sure they can get into any tournament they want. So they are in the rimrocker? is that the one good one they are in out of 10? are they in the all catholics?

I'm not from Holy Trinity but I have observed them in a couple of Peel tournaments over the past two seasons.

I believe that thier coach puts them into lower level tournaments at the beginning of the season to help his players develop before testing them against the elite teams. Many coaches do this by playing exhibition games against lower level teams in the preseason so they can work out any problems they might have before the regular season or playoffs. It appears that Holy Trinity has a larger budget so they play in several lower level tournaments at the start of the season instead of organizing a bunch of exhibition games. They have won every tournament that they have played in but they have also been tested along the way. I have watched them be down and then come back to win and I have watched them blow leads and then battle back to hold on for the win. I think it has given their coach an opportunity to develop players that would normally not get alot of minutes and it also allows his star players to develop their skills as they can experiment or make mistakes and learn from them during a game where they wouldn't be able to do so if they were constantly playing against the top teams. I think its a very smart way of running a season if you are not sure of the talent you have (if you have the budget to do so) as it helps a team build confidence and chemistry before competing against the elite.

I'm very interested in seeing how they do in the Rimrocker.

Coach Devo
    Freshman

Post by Coach Devo Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:12 pm

Mu2 wrote:for real, why do they enter such bad tournaments? and so many of them?

The tournament wasn't devoid of competition. Pocock earlier in the season played quite an even game with Pope John Paul II (ranked 9th), and has defeated St. Joan of Arc (York) who themselves this weekend defeated Northern (Ranked 16th).
    CoachEsteban
    Freshman

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2011-05-03

Post by CoachEsteban Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:32 pm

estebanwilliamos is mostly correct. We do organize our tournaments to help build momentum as the season progresses. We understand the need to build a team identity and the right chemistry to know what we have through these early tournaments. With only a two year window to build continuity and assessing newcomers, this is never an easy task. On top of this, what many teams I'm sure experience is that we have a few players who participate in fall sports such as volleyball and football. As a result, they aren't available to participate until their respective fall teams are over. Our starting PG, Kimbal Mackenzie wasn't able to join us until halfway through the Turner Fenton tournament because of his fall commitments.

Each of the tournaments we have entered are well-runned and organized with quality teams. They may not have the 'brand names' from the GTA but are well respected in the areas they are from. The Notre Dame Welland tournament always host the best teams from the Niagara, Hamilton and London regions, while the St. Matthew's Invitational in Ottawa boasts most of the best teams from the northern regions. And of course, Pocock was extremely hospitable and helped provide another opportunity to improve. Kudos to the Pocock coaches for organizing a quality tournament. Our junior team continuously seeks to find opportunities to play teams from other regions and not just the GTA.

We look forward to the Junior Rimrocker and the future tournaments we will be competing in. Like all teams, we need to get better and improve upon the weaknesses we have in time for the next game. We are appreciative of the kind comments about our team and understand that we need to use the constructive criticism to improve on what we already know.

Have an enjoyable, well rested and safe holidays.

In hoops,

Coach Esteban

ps. no relation to estebanwilliamos. Laughing
    pss. for more info about the HT Junior team please go to www.trinitybball.com
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:08 pm

Mu2 wrote:for real, why do they enter such bad tournaments?

One tournament had the best teams from the Niagara region and another had the best teams from Ottawa; teams that have made the Junior Rimrocker playoffs every time they come down. I don't think "bad" is the best term to describe them.

2018 Senior Rimrocker Champions: St. Francis Xavier
    2018 Junior Rimrocker Champions: St. Marguerite d'Youville
    outside_stinga
    Freshman

Number of posts : 129
    Registration date : 2010-10-16

Post by outside_stinga Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:45 am

No you are right; however, if this is a GTA ranking shouldn't they have to beat a ranked team. I mean that is what either elevates or sinks a team in the ranking. If they have yet to be tested against what hurts or hinders other teams, it is pretty tough to rank them, esp in the top 10.
    Prime Time
    Sophomore

Post by Prime Time Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:24 am

[quote="outside_stinga"]No you are right; however, if this is a GTA ranking shouldn't they have to beat a ranked team. I mean that is what either elevates or sinks a team in the ranking. If they have yet to be tested against what hurts or hinders other teams, it is pretty tough to rank them, esp in the top 10. [/quote]

I agree with you. MT, St. Mikes, and Eastern have went up the rankings because of tournaments....Downsview, d'Youville, and Dunbarton have fallen because they played better competion in tournaments.
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 am

outside_stinga wrote:No you are right; however, if this is a GTA ranking shouldn't they have to beat a ranked team. I mean that is what either elevates or sinks a team in the ranking. If they have yet to be tested against what hurts or hinders other teams, it is pretty tough to rank them, esp in the top 10.

Everyone seems to want to compare their results against McNabb in setting rankings yet they are also not a GTA team. Let's not forget that there are other good teams out there and not all of them participate in the same circuit of tournaments in Toronto during the early part of the season.

2018 Senior Rimrocker Champions: St. Francis Xavier
    2018 Junior Rimrocker Champions: St. Marguerite d'Youville

Current date/time is Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:25 pm