HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

Eligibility for Senior Sports in TDSB

cdb
    Freshman

Number of posts : 22
    Registration date : 2010-10-08

Eligibility for Senior Sports in TDSB Empty Eligibility for Senior Sports in TDSB

Post by cdb on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:51 pm

I have been notified that the TDSB ( Toronto District School Board) has changed their age classification this season ( 2010-2011) that does not match OFSAA. Here are the age requirement postings for OFSAA and the TDSB.

OFSAA Age Classifications for the 2010-2011 School Year
    Senior-The individual’s birth certificate indicates that he/she has not yet reached
    his/her 19th birthday by January 1st prior to the start of the school year in
    which the competition is held.
    1990 or earlier Ineligible
    1991 Senior
    1992 Senior
    1993 Senior
    1994 Senior
    1995/1996 Junior
    1996 Midget
    How old was the student as of January 1, 2010?

Toronto District School Board
    1991 or earlier Ineligible
    1992 Senior

This means that if a student/athlete is 18 years old at the start of the year( January 1, 2010), he/she is eligible to play at OFSAA but not in TDSB. How is this fair and how does this make sense? I was told that the TDSB voted to do this based on points such as safety in varsity sports ( 14 year olds playing with 19 year olds) but it clearly does not comply with OFSAA. I would love some feedback on this because I believe it to be totally unfair to the kids in Toronto.
    coachc
    Freshman

Number of posts : 130
    Registration date : 2008-08-29

Eligibility for Senior Sports in TDSB Empty Re: Eligibility for Senior Sports in TDSB

Post by coachc on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:57 pm

This is not necessarily an explanation but there are schools throughout the province that do not allow fifth year kids to play sports. That would put them in the same age category that the TDSB has. Thus, I am assuming that there are very few TDSB kids playing sports in their fifth year of high school any more.

The main argument I have heard for this type of policy had nothing to do with varsity sports but rather that kids in their fifth year are back at school for one of two reasons: 1) they could not graduate in four years (usually failed courses) or 2) they are back to upgrade their academics. The argument goes that these players thus should focus on doing well in school rather than playing extra curriculars. Perhaps this is more the policy that the TDSB has adopted?

Regardless, I don't think that I buy any of the two arguments that I posted nor do I buy the argument of having 14 year olds compete with 19 year olds. If the 14 year old is not physically ready to compete against the older players, then he/she does not have to be placed on the varsity team but could play Junior Varsity instead.
    knowthegame
    knowthegame
    Senior

Number of posts : 1123
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Eligibility for Senior Sports in TDSB Empty Re: Eligibility for Senior Sports in TDSB

Post by knowthegame on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:57 pm

Wow! I saw this coming a mile away!
    RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Post by RealBall on Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:33 pm

Does anybody know exactly how this affects TDSB Boys Basketball thats starting up in a couple weeks?

Are 5th year players allowed to play this season? Yes or NO??
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:10 pm

The new TDSB rule will not affect most 5th year players; they will still be allowed to compete; it would only affect 5th year players who started high school a year late. IOW, those the same age as a regular 6th year high school student.
    innocentbystander
    Freshman

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by innocentbystander on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:03 pm

It is the same rule that has been in place for the past 3-4 years
    netball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2009-11-18

Post by netball on Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:34 pm

Think that's a great thing.Concentrate on your grades.HWDSB even lets kids that are failing play varsity!

Current date/time is Fri May 24, 2019 8:50 am