HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

Runnymede Jr's Are Looking Pretty Good This Year.

Complex_Baller22
    Freshman

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Runnymede Jr's Are Looking Pretty Good This Year. Empty Runnymede Jr's Are Looking Pretty Good This Year.

Post by Complex_Baller22 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:16 pm

Their are some really good players that went to Runnymede this year .

Shamir Bell :5'9.5,Point Guard/Shooting Guard, From Rockcliffe M.S.

Bright Sarpong:5'8.5,Small Forward/Shooting Guard, From Rockliffe M.S.

Nicholas Moore:5'8,Shooting Guard/Point Guard, From Portage Trail

These Kids Are Highely Likely To Change Runnymede Losing Record Into A Good Season Probably.

These Kids Also Do Not Play OBA , But Are Looking Forward To Playing OBA This Year.
    nnba
    Freshman

Number of posts : 141
    Registration date : 2009-09-30

Runnymede Jr's Are Looking Pretty Good This Year. Empty Re: Runnymede Jr's Are Looking Pretty Good This Year.

Post by nnba on Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:50 am

lol fail nice making a accont and boosting 3 guys who no one heard of
    knowthegame
    knowthegame
    Senior

Number of posts : 1123
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Runnymede Jr's Are Looking Pretty Good This Year. Empty Re: Runnymede Jr's Are Looking Pretty Good This Year.

Post by knowthegame on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:05 am

Realistically Runnymede has been one of the province's powerhouses over the years, and are probably only behind Eastern Commerce and I think Oakwood in regards to OFSAA Gold medals. Coach Pet who helped build Father Henry Carr's program was their for almost two decades running one of the top programs in Ontario basketball history. Players such as Wayne'Fridge'Robertson, Kevin St Kitts, Darren Thomas, Vinton Bennett where all NCAA or CIS players that did well at the next level. It would be amazing to see the program develop back again and give Oakwood and Eastern that rivalry back! Good luck over there at Runnymede!!!
    Yung T
    Freshman

Number of posts : 61
    Registration date : 2008-11-02

Post by Yung T on Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:56 pm

[quote="Complex_Baller22"]Their are some really good players that went to Runnymede this year .

[b]Shamir Bell[/b] :5'9.5,Point Guard/Shooting Guard, From Rockcliffe M.S.

[b]Bright Sarpong[/b]:5'8.5,Small Forward/Shooting Guard, From Rockliffe M.S.

[b]Nicholas Moore[/b]:5'8,Shooting Guard/Point Guard, From Portage Trail

These Kids Are Highely Likely To Change Runnymede Losing Record Into A Good Season Probably.

These Kids Also Do Not Play OBA , But Are Looking Forward To Playing OBA This Year.[/quote] SHUT UP
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Melnik on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:35 pm

KTG I thought your knowledge of history was better than that. Runnymede under Coaches Housley (2 Gold Medals) and especially Coach Petrushchak (4 Gold Medals, 4 Silvers, 2 Bronze), was a major player in Ontario basketball. Eastern has done some great things in the last 10 years and surpassed Runnymede's medal count, but that occurred only after Bathurst closed and Coach Petrushchak left Runnymede. No disrespect intended but Oakwood is nowhere near Runnymede's haul of OFSAA medals and dominance, although they have been around for a long time.

Best of luck to the Ravens this year! I have to say, we always hated the name "Ravens". Redmen was the real moniker and always will be.

Coach Melnik
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:34 pm

The first of Eastern's eight gold medals was in 1982 and the second and third were in the mid-90s, 5 years before Bathurst Heights closed. Bathurst won their second OFSAA gold in 2000.

What year did Coach Petrushchak leave Runnymede; was it shortly after his fourth gold in 1990?

[can of worms]

Re: Redmen. I know that a lot of alumni at schools that have removed Aboriginal names are upset at the loss of tradition but I can see how the name, and many others like it, would be offensive to others. How would it be any different than calling a team the "Yellowmen" and then claiming it pays tribute to the industrious and hard working Asian people, much like the claims that the Aboriginal names pay tribute to the warrior spirit of the First Nations?

[/can of worms]

Last edited by Peel Fan on Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
    knowthegame
    knowthegame
    Senior

Post by knowthegame on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:54 am

Sorry Coach! Lol...I though I mentioned Coach Pet? I just wasn't sure of the medal count! My bad! I new it was up there!
    steve.nash1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2009-01-11

Post by steve.nash1 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:31 am

Were the girls teams at Runnymede also called the "Redmen"? I could see that being an issue as well.

York's University's former teams were known as the York Yeomen and York Yeowomen, but changed their name to the gender-neutral Lions.

Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Post by Coach Melnik on Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:38 am

What's the problem Peel Fan? Do you disagree that Eastern's run wasnt aided by both Bathurst closing and Petrushchak leaving Runnymede? Coach P left Runnymede after the 98-99 season and shortly after Bathurst closed down. It made it much easier when two of the best programs were shut down. It's a fact.

Last edited by Coach Melnik on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
    knowthegame
    knowthegame
    Senior

Post by knowthegame on Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:10 pm

This is turning into a great topic! Melnik does have a point about Bathurst closing down! I think Coach Pet and Coach Maydo have gone on to help other school's that weren't actually strong basketball programs. Eastern has always proven itself as the premier program however, despite the situations discussed. Its just nice to see Runnymede trying to pick up the pieces. I can remember when school's like Martingrove and NACI dominated the Toronto West region(Martingrove still seems to be in the mix). Players such as John Boney, Shawn Gray and Wayne Mulgrave at Martingrove. And players such as Jerome Carter and Mike Schmidt at NACI.
    RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Post by RealBall on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:11 pm

Also remember Runneymede is a very small inner city school. The late 90's was around the time that lots of city families saved up and moved out to the suburbs...Scarborough, Pickering, Markham, Brampton, and Mississauga were all really being developed around this time. (Ajax probably was still a few years away).
    So a small school like Runneymede might have lost alot of future potential student/athletes to the suburbs. Or even to larger nearby schools like Oakwood.

I remember the early 90s Runneymede teams with pg's Costy Desources and Greg Burke, high-flyers Vinton Bennett and Jason Daley, & shooter Al StLouis. They had some crazy teams and that intense rivalry with Oakwood.
    knowthegame
    knowthegame
    Senior

Post by knowthegame on Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:37 am

Wow! Those are some names! Costy Dessources, Mike McCook, Vinton Bennett, Wayne Robertson, Dave Sherwood, Corey Williams. That year was a Runnymede vs Bathurst City Finals! Bathurst was lead by Phil Dixon, Clive Campbell, Alex Beason and Bobby Brown.
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Post by Coach Melnik on Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:35 am

If you are talking about Phil's senior year, that Tri-City Final was one great game. Runnymede was down 12 at the half, but came out of the changeroom on fire and outscored Bathurst something like 41-19 in the 2nd half. I wish I had that game on DVD. Bathurst was obviously very, very good; but Runnymede was just a little better.
    knowthegame
    knowthegame
    Senior

Post by knowthegame on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:42 am

Yep, that was the game, Phil's last, Fridge's last. Then it was of to Utah via UConn for Phil and Wayne went on to star at New Hampshire College were he would be NCAA D2 All-American 2 out of 4 years. Alex Beason went on to JUCO in Illinois where he dominated, signed with Southeast Missouri State(D1)and led them in scoring and rebounding as a junior. He would eventually come back and star at Ryerson becoming an All Canadian. Vinton Bennett went on to Western Michigan I think. That year saw a lot of GTA kids go NCAA D1. If you get a copy of that game Coach...Holla!!!
    TrueTalkz50
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 393
    Registration date : 2010-05-01

Post by TrueTalkz50 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:20 am

Ah Runnymede,oakwood,Eastern ,martingrove and Bathurst use to be sick back in the days, I guess those days public schools use to dominate and were the powerhouses but like what realball said runnymede lost there dominaince when families started moving to the suburbs or nearby oakwood and that school was able to keep their ball program alive despite a large amount of players going to nearby eastern or started to move to scarborough,peel, durham and attend catholic shools.So basically Bathurst was shut down, runnymede started to draw less players ,so that means eastern oakwood and martingrove were able to hold down thier basketball program and still attract players today that'ss why they have a recognizable basketball program today and held it down for decades runnymede however had lost their basketball success in the past decade ,so it's kind of good to have potential players that can hold down runneymede and maybe bring back runnymede's basketball powerhouse in years to come .OH what school is NACI Question
    knowthegame
    knowthegame
    Senior

Post by knowthegame on Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:18 pm

North Albion. Had some strong squads back in the day. Would always make some noise in the far west back in the day.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Coach Melnik wrote:What's the problem Peel Fan? Do you disagree that Eastern's run wasnt aided by both Bathurst closing and Petrushchak leaving Runnymede? Coach P left Runnymede after the 98-99 season and shortly after Bathurst closed down. It made it much easier when two of the best programs were shut down. It's a fact.

No, it's speculation. Eastern already had three OFSAA titles before Coach P left and Bathurst closed down and since they won twice while Coach P was at Runnymede and Coach Maydo was at Bathurst, it's certainly reasonable to think they would have still won some of their other 5 titles if those two had not left their respective programs. We could just as easily assume, without any conclusive proof one way or the other, that Runnymede and Bathurst wouldn't have been as successful if programs like Mother Teresa and Pickering were as strong as they are today or if Coach Rose had not retired from Niagara Falls Collegiate. No one talks about the strength of Niagara Falls CI or the Windsor trifecta of Lowe, Assumption and Herman any more but there was a time when they were dominant in Ontario. No one is going to argue that they were only dominant because of who wasn't strong back then. It's a circular argument that cannot be proven one way or the other. The simple fact is that basketball dominance changes over the years and credit should be given to the programs at the time, without qualifiers.

Current date/time is Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:14 pm