wetshooter31
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 333
    Registration date : 2009-03-09

Eastern COmmerce Article Empty Eastern COmmerce Article

Post by wetshooter31 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:01 pm

i saw this article

http://www.hooplife.ca/viewArticle.php?id=59

what ever happened to this idea about eastern commerce prep?

did it turn into NEDA?
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Eastern COmmerce Article Empty Re: Eastern COmmerce Article

Post by rerun on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:24 am

I guess when the NCAA Clearinghouse put a time-restraint of 4 years for players that changed the landscape. At one time players could take a fifth year or even longer and upgrade all their courses if they could not get through the NCAA Clearinghouse. You can no longer do that! After four years you can only upgrade a course...one single course and that's it. Therefore, you don't need prep to help you upgrade your courses...the work has to get done in four years or else you're JUCO bound.
    acie earl 55
    acie earl 55
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 312
    Registration date : 2008-07-13

Post by acie earl 55 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:55 pm

The Clearinghouse Rules were in effect then too. This was taking place at the same time as Grassroots attempted the same type of program as well. Eastern had the classroom space to provide "Alternative Programming" and I imagine the TDSB floated them funding for the teachers. Would be interesting to see how much of it's early end was due to Francis moving onto to other ventures and Rana leaving for OBA for the year.
    twoneedles
    Freshman

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2009-01-04

Post by twoneedles on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:40 am

[quote="wetshooter31"]i saw this article

http://www.hooplife.ca/viewArticle.php?id=59

what ever happened to this idea about eastern commerce prep?

did it turn into NEDA?[/quote]

No. NEDA was separate and was meant to be co-curricular with high school. NEDA was cut because Canada Basketball lost funding due to poor results on the international level (during the 2006-08 period, not this past year).

Basketball Canada recently signed a deal with Nike so some of that funding could be devoted to restarting NEDA.

The Eastern Commerce Prep was cancelled due to a combination of NCAA rules and how it is hard to be the only "Prep" school in the area.

Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:59 am

The four year time restraint for the NCAA Clearinghouse was passed April 2007 and went into effect on August 2007. I'm pretty sure that Eastern Prep was up and operating in 2007-2008.
    twoneedles
    Freshman

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2009-01-04

Post by twoneedles on Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:30 pm

I don't remember 07-08. Roy was on leave from the TDSB that year and I think it was after Canada Basketball's funding had been cut so the prep school (which was a partnership between Eastern and CB) might not have competed that year.

Current date/time is Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:32 pm