HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

Is Canada About to Send a Number of players to the NBA?

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5294
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Is Canada About to Send a Number of players to the NBA? Empty Is Canada About to Send a Number of players to the NBA?

Post by Coach Clement on Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:50 am

I may be accused of boosting but I feel Canada may be on the verge of sending a number of players to the NBA.

Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph and Myck Kabongo are in the forefront of that group but there are others.

I feel Devoe Joseph is about to emerge at Minnesota this year.

Clearly Mo Walker and Richard Peters have the size and skill to be considered but there are also wings like Manny Arop and Kelly Olynyk. Junior Cadougan has impressive credentials at PG.

Also Duane Notice, Kevin Pangos and Anthony Bennett are rising stars who are on the verge of consideration. There are numerous other players whom I have not mentioned. I'm sure many will come on and say "where's so-and-so?".

I may be wrong but I predict that Canada has a bumper crop of potential NBA picks. Cool

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement
    WH87
    Freshman

Number of posts : 150
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Is Canada About to Send a Number of players to the NBA? Empty Re: Is Canada About to Send a Number of players to the NBA?

Post by WH87 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:13 am

I love your optimism Coach C. Even if these guys don't make the NBA, most of them will be playing pro ball somewhere and hopefully will play for Canada`s Men`s National Team (elevating our world basketball status). Good luck to all of them!
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Number of posts : 1021

Is Canada About to Send a Number of players to the NBA? Empty Re: Is Canada About to Send a Number of players to the NBA?

Post by petro on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:20 am

So many Canadian kids are playing at a super high level. The crop has never been better!

As a fan of the game... I'm proud of what Canadian kids are accomplishing... BUT cracking the NBA is still a very long shot... it's just so tough and competitive.

These guys mentioned above will get considered... might be prospects... but so too were Denham and Carl.

One name not mentioned is Andrew Nicholson... he is a kid to keep your eye on. A-10 Rookie of the Year. He is a stat machine. I'm hoping to make a road trip this winter to see him play.

I would love to see the day when their are multiple Canadian players in the NBA and producing consistently. Kinda like some of the great Canadian Major League Baseball players kicking butt the last few years.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:32 pm

petro

I very much agree about Nicholson but as I said there are many prospects not the least of which are Nick and Andrew Wiggins.

Nick is at a prep school in Florida and Andrew rumoured to be attending Gr. 9 in Saltsburg, Penn (Koski) . Both are athletic to the extreme and huge upside!

Andrew has played up two and three years in AAU ball with amazing results. He was at the AddidasNation. Cool

petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro on Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:23 pm

Nick and Andrew... man they got the 'genes' to give them a head start that most others don't have.

Hope they have killer work ethic.
    bruins
    bruins
    Freshman

Number of posts : 118
    Registration date : 2008-08-14

Post by bruins on Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:20 pm

hopefully they both don't end up like their father
    loveball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2008-10-30

Post by loveball on Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:52 pm

Coach Clement,

I love your optimism , but your post is just flat out silly.

Mo Walker with NBA potential? That is just flat out silly man.

The only kid I see with NBA potential is Tristan Thompson.

I would give Cory Joseph and Myck Kabongo each about a 1-2 percent chance of making it, and the other guys you listed all have ZERO percent chance. Except maybe that Anthony Bennet kid who is emerging on the scence as of late, but even him his chances are practically slim to none.
    HighRanked12
    Freshman

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2009-08-09

Post by HighRanked12 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:23 pm

There is a good handful of players playing at a high level and shining for Canada. But still a long way from NBA prospects with a lot more training and fine tuning games we could reach that level. A big congrats to all the players from Canada reaching the next level and we hope that you continue to have success.
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2008-12-07

Post by CoachPaul on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:14 pm

[quote="loveball"]Coach Clement,

I would give Cory Joseph and Myck Kabongo each about a 1-2 percent chance of making it, and the other guys you listed all have ZERO percent chance. Except maybe that Anthony Bennet kid who is emerging on the scence as of late, but even him his chances are practically slim to none.[/quote]

You should have heard the commentary at the Adidas Nations. They think the Corey is 100% making it to the NBA.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:18 pm

Loveballz said...

"The only kid I see with NBA potential is Tristan Thompson. "

And you have first hand knowledge that Tristan is head and shoulders above everyone else?

What evidence do you have to suggest that Tristan has NBA potential and the others don't?

OR... are you just buying all the internet hype on this kid???

Please elaborate rather than just providing us with these dithers of so called "knowledge."
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:56 pm

[quote="loveball"]Coach Clement,

I would give Cory Joseph and Myck Kabongo each about a 1-2 percent chance of making it, and the other guys you listed all have ZERO percent chance. Except maybe that Anthony Bennet kid who is emerging on the scence as of late, but even him his chances are practically slim to none.[/quote]

Omniscient One,

You are obviously much more knowledgeable than I but I would like to point a couple of things.

1. The post is in the form of a question. I am not saying that all of these guys are sure NBA players.

2. When you're in the range of 7-0 and 250 (like Mo Walker and Richard Peters) I think you will be "considered".

3. Cory and Myck are much better than a 1 or 2 per cent chance of making the NBA.

4. Devoe Joseph, Manny Arop and Kevin Pangos also have better than a "ZERO" per cent chance.

HAWK-BOY
    Freshman

Number of posts : 119
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by HAWK-BOY on Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:11 pm

i think Kevin will go far for his basketball career
    gnote
    Freshman

Number of posts : 58
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by gnote on Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:38 pm

the nba is a long way away. anything can happen. who was the better high school player= denham, phil dixon or devoe? are any of these other guys even close to these 3? Id say maybe cory and tt. would you not think one would have to DOMINATE hs ball here in order to even talk abouit the nba? denham, phil, devoe DOMINATED hs ball, cant say the others have. just my opinion. hope they ALL make it.

Last edited by gnote on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : didnt like post)
    theunknown2009
    Freshman

Number of posts : 282
    Registration date : 2009-01-18

Post by theunknown2009 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:55 pm

I say Tristan and Corey have a really good chance of making it to the nba. On almost every recruiting site you have Tristan and Corey ranked in the top 10 for their class in the us
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:24 am

[quote="gnote"]the nba is a long way away. anything can happen. who was the better high school player= denham, phil dixon or devoe? are any of these other guys even close to these 3? Id say maybe cory and tt. would you not think one would have to DOMINATE hs ball here in order to even talk abouit the nba? denham, phil, devoe DOMINATED hs ball, cant say the others have. just my opinion. hope they ALL make it.[/quote]

First off of the guys I named only Kelly, Manny and Mo played in Canada.

The other three are prodigies in Gr. 8, 9 and 10. You do not dominate Senior HS basketball when you are in Gr. 9 or 10 or in Andrew's case in elementary school. I'm not trying to hype these kids but they do have very high potential. No one can say how far that will carry them at this time. They are special talents for their ages and I cannot think of many similar players at a similar age. NBA is not on the radar for them at this time there are many things that could prevent them achieving their immense potential.

Kelly was Mr. Basketball Canada and dominated basketball in B.C. Manny was back-and-forth but has done big things in the NEDA program. Gonzaga followers are calling him a one-and-done college player.

Mo was an all-Canada selection, best post player in Canada selection GTA first-team all-star, former MVP at the club level and anchored four gold medal teams with Blues, he made four appearances at OFSSAA and won four medals. He is a late birthday and is attending Brewster for one more year of preparation which may be huge for him. He needs a challenge and will rise to the occasion in my opinion.

He did well against a very highly touted young man yesterday. He helped hold 6-8 280 lb. DaJuan Coleman to a single field goal yesterday.

I'm not saying Mo WILL make the NBA, I'm saying he has a chance.

I do not agree that Prep is for every kid out there but it is an option for some. It is hard to dominate high school ball when you are playing in another country.

Cory, Myck and Tristan have done very well in the U.S. all are highly-ranked against their U.S. counterparts. Richard Peters' stock is rising fast.

Canada has more kids playing at a very high level right now than at any time in our basketball history. All I'm asking is could we see more kids break through at the NBA level on this basis?

I guess loveball and gnote don't think so.

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:54 am

I'm not saying that the Toronto media are the most savvy around but this story has a very positive take on basketball in the GTA.

It only presents it from a Grassroots perspective which is typical but no one can argue with the international success of a number of AAU-teams in the area!

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2009/08/10/10411931-sun.html

hoopfan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2009-08-10

Post by hoopfan on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:09 am

FTR DaJuan Coleman is 15yrs old and entering 10th grade.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:13 am

He's also the #1 ranked player in his class.

zonekiller
    Junior

Number of posts : 649
    Registration date : 2008-08-08

Post by zonekiller on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:36 am

saw the kid play in Pittsburgh. dudes the real deal
    RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Post by RealBall on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:32 pm

For those who think Cory Joseph has only "a 1% chance" to make it to the NBA, think again.
    This is the opening of an article about the Adidas Tournament.

"One Nation Under a Hoop
    Adidas called out for the world’s best. Players answered in a host of languages.

by DeMarco Williams

Over the weekend, adidas held a tournament in Dallas and the world came out for it—literally. Aptly stamped “Nations,” the four-day set pitted the hardwood’s best from the USA against may of the top players from spots like Canada, Croatia, China, Columbia and Chad.

Somewhere, former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan is smiling widely.

Somewhere else David Stern is equally gleeful, for in a few years he knows his league won’t miss a step when a few of these participants enter the NBA Draft. From the camp’s earliest action on Wednesday and Thursday, certain players just stood above the rest. Yeah, a lot of that had to do with guys standing 6-11 or 7-0. But in the cases of ballers like Canada’s Cory Joseph, Europe’s Evan Fournier, Africa’s Brandja Sy and Latin America’s Christian Cortes (he’ll be profiled in a later post), it was their respected games that didn’t get lost in transition."

We should start giving our homegrown talent more credit. Face it, we're catching up to the world on the Elite level.
    The rest of the article can be found at this link...

http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2009/08/one-nation-under-a-hoop/
    doubledribble
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2009-08-07

Post by doubledribble on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

I believe its way too early to make these prediction either way. If the NBA did not implement the ridiculous 19 yr old age limit, would any of these guys be prospects in the 2010 NBA Draft(question).. I don't think so.
    So we just got to wait until they lace up their sneakers and test the NCAA and by 2012 we will see the fruits of thier labour.

Cory Joseph did a wonderful job at the Adidas Tourney, but I wouldnt take the commentators hype of Cory Joseph too seriously. Remember its a BUSINESS and of course they will hype up the best player in the tourney in hopes of fitting him with some nice Adidas apparel in the near future( for marketing purposes).
    Honestly I thought I was watching The Cory Joseph Tournament (sponsored by Adidas) Smile

All that being said Great Job by Cory!!!
    gnote
    Freshman

Post by gnote on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:07 pm

CC,
    i aint gonna argue wit you. obviously we have sum very talented young players in canada and hopefully with some luck sum of them will go to the nba or europe.
    and btw, im pretty sure c. joseph ALSO played in canada, and junior did too didnt he?????
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:38 pm

[quote="gnote"]CC,
    i aint gonna argue wit you. obviously we have sum very talented young players in canada and hopefully with some luck sum of them will go to the nba or europe.
    and btw, im pretty sure c. joseph ALSO played in canada, and junior did too didnt he?????[/quote]

What is that supposed to mean?

Of course they played in Canada. Both grew up playing in Canada.

Cory played in Pickering at Valley Farm Public then starred at Pickering High. All the whille he played with Scarborough Blues and played on our Provimcial Championship Junior team this year.

Junior played in Rexdale and starred at Eastern Commerce as well as playing with Grassroots.

They were made and developed in Canada but polished in the USA.

OldeTymeCoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2009-01-02

Post by OldeTymeCoach on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:30 pm

I think all we should be saying is that there are some very talented kids, that are canadian, playing the game of basketball. Who knows if any will ever make the NBA, and quite frankly, who cares. They are all very talented and I wish them the best, and I hope they do make it. Making the NBA is a 1 in a million chance, but they all seem to have the talent to "maybe" have that chance. Lets not be our usual Canadian selves and look at the negative. Let's look at the positive. These kids can play and let's wish them the best.
    gnote
    Freshman

Post by gnote on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:33 pm

read your first sentence of your post at the bottom of p1 of this topic!

then you will know what i mean cc.

Current date/time is Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:24 am