HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

Canada loses a heartbreaker in Nike Challenge 105-104

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5294
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Canada loses a heartbreaker in Nike Challenge 105-104 Empty Canada loses a heartbreaker in Nike Challenge 105-104

Post by Coach Clement on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:57 am

Canada won in impressive style in their opener against Serbia. The score was 97-66.

Leading the way for Canada: Tristan Thompson with 17, Mangisto Arop with 16, Mo Walker with 12, Junior Cadougan and Laurent Rivard added 11 apiece. Myck Kabongo had 8 points and 8 assists.

Next up a semi-final game against Senegal who defeated USA Midwest 66-65.

Brazil (winners over USA South/West) and Usa East were the others advancing on the championship side.

Last edited by Coach Clement on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:59 am; edited 2 times in total

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement
    zonekiller
    Junior

Number of posts : 649
    Registration date : 2008-08-08

Canada loses a heartbreaker in Nike Challenge 105-104 Empty Re: Canada loses a heartbreaker in Nike Challenge 105-104

Post by zonekiller on Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:48 am

where can we get live updates?
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Canada loses a heartbreaker in Nike Challenge 105-104 Empty Re: Canada loses a heartbreaker in Nike Challenge 105-104

Post by Coach Clement on Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:14 am

Just game scores, box score etc. no live feed

http://www.primetimepdx.com/ngc/

Click on schedule for results and stats. Very Happy

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:14 am

Canada 89 Senegal 71

Leading the way for Canada : Manny Arop 24 pts. and 14 rebs. Mo Walker 13 pts. and 10 rebs, Myck Kabongo 12 pts. and Tristan Thompson 11 and 8 rebs.

Canada plays the winner of Brazil and USA East tomorrow.

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:34 am

Our opponent will be USA East who defeated Brazil 89-74. This is the toughest of the USA teams beyond a doubt!

Gametime is 8:00 P.M. Pacific.

There is a three hour time differential I believe so its 11:00 p.m. our time.

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:02 am

Here's a summary of the Canada-Senegal game from OregonLive.com:

"Next game on the docket is Team Senegal vs. Team Canada. We will be tipping off here in about 7-8 minutes.

Closely contested first quarter so far for this game. Gorgui Sy Dieng just went down hard on his knee and he will limp to the locker room. Too bad, Gorgui was the guy that hit that game-winner for Senegal yesterday. They need him.

Looks like Gorgui is back from his hiatus. He's warming up his knee on the sideline.

Senegal is plagued with foul trouble. This is understandable as they have a very aggressive style of play. They are also having turnover issues, mostly stemming from Senegal's guard play. Their ball handlers need to get their bigs some points, but at the moment, all they want to do is shoot pull-up threes.

At the half, Team Canada leads Team Senegal, 43-39.

Top performers in the first half...

Team Canada - Mangisto Arop 11pts, 6rbs. Myck Kabongo 9pts, 2ast, 2stl.

Team Senegal - Remy Emmanuel N'diaye 10pts, 2rbs

The game is still close, and I am getting a greater appreciation for the game of Team Canada's Maurice Walker with every passing moment. The guy is amazing around the rim. If he has the ball underneath, it's two points. Automatic. He has those soft hands that coaches talk about, and what seems like a 6th sense in terms of knowing how to go up with the ball against a defender. He always seems to pick the right angle. I also really like his shot. His release is a little slow, but he has this super high-arching jumper that looks like he's trying to touch the ceiling with each attempt. Fun player to watch. Keep an eye out for him in the future.

Great 3rd quarter for Team Canada. There wasn't one specific run that gave them their current double-digit lead, but they have just been grinding on this Senegal team. Lots of frustration showing from the Senegalese forwards the end of the quarter. At the end of the 3rd, Team Canada leads Team Senegal, 67-54.

Canada continues to dominate in the fourth, and that will be enough to do it. Team Canada defeats Team Senegal, 89-71. Complete stats.

Top performers in this game...

Team Canada - Mangisto Arop 24pts, 14rbs. Maurice Walker 13pts, 10rbs. Kyle Wiltjer 10pts, 1rbs.

Team Senegal - Gorgui Sy Dieng 21pts, 6rbs, 4blk. Mbaye Thiam 13pts, 4rbs."

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:33 am

Found this on the Gonzaga site. They are VERY pumped about Manny Arop!:

"If you would like to catch the games, but can't make it to the gym tomorrow, OregonLive.com will be live streaming the 3rd place and Championship games of the Nike Global Challenge beginning at 6 p.m. PT, so that no matter where in the world you are, you can still watch your team play. Just visit the OregonLive High School Sports Home Page at 6 p.m. tomorrow for all the action."

If this is correct it would be 9:00 p.m. in Southern Ontario.

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:49 am

I thought it was a later start than indicated.

I'm not sure which is correct.

bruins
    bruins
    Freshman

Number of posts : 118
    Registration date : 2008-08-14

Post by bruins on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:53 am

game is posted as an 8pm start
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:56 am

That's what I saw too but the post above says 6:00 p.m.

bruins
    bruins
    Freshman

Number of posts : 118
    Registration date : 2008-08-14

Post by bruins on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:16 pm

watching the game now and tristan looks a lot thicker then i last saw him...anyways here is the link for the lazy peeps

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/
    no commentary like the adidas game last night but still good to see two good games for the canucks.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:57 am

Another tough loss. Canada led virtually the entire game but the U.S. pulled out a 105-104 victory in the late stages. Canada had the ball with :07 on the clock but could not find a way to score.

A great game! Cool

greenlight
    Freshman

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by greenlight on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:03 am

i watched last 8 minutes, Tristan and Myck carried us down the stretch. Thought Myck got hit on that last jumper to win the game, and rebounding is what made us loose the game
    bronbron23
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-08-18

Post by bronbron23 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:03 am

[quote="greenlight"]i watched last 8 minutes, Tristan and Myck carried us down the stretch. Thought Myck got hit on that last jumper to win the game, and rebounding is what made us loose the game[/quote]

yea that could of easliy been called a foul, it seemed like the refs were giving USA the slight edge on some calls but what can you do, thats basketball, i was really impressed with myck kabongo Smile looks like a bright future with canadian basketball

i dont know if anyone caught this but whats up with the birth years of all the players on canada's roster? it says all of them were born a year later than there actual birthday...(example: Myck Kabongo-1993) can someone explain?
    hoopfan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2009-08-10

Post by hoopfan on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:46 am

It appears that the coaches of the Cdn team were "holding no stops" or using the "by any means necessary" philosophy. They comprised a team that has 6 non-returning seniors(1990) who are university bound in a couple weeks. The USA team is completely comprised of returning seniors and juniors as this was supposed to be a highschool tournament. bronbron23 I hope you can take this info and fill in the blanks and find the answer to your question.
    zonekiller
    Junior

Post by zonekiller on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:50 am

[quote="hoopfan"]It appears that the coaches of the Cdn team were "holding no stops" or using the "by any means necessary" philosophy. They comprised a team that has 6 non-returning seniors(1990) who are university bound in a couple weeks. The USA team is completely comprised of returning seniors and juniors as this was supposed to be a highschool tournament. bronbron23 I hope you can take this info and fill in the blanks and find the answer to your question.[/quote]

so what r u saying, that we had overaged players???
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:17 am

From the tournament information page. Please note "and U19 players":

The Nike Global Challenge takes center court at Liberty High School, August 7-9, 2009. This 8-team, 12-game tournament features the top high school and U19 basketball players from the United States, Canada, FMP-Serbia, Senegal, Brazil, and All-Asia.

zonekiller
    Junior

Post by zonekiller on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:35 am

so what is hoopfan trying to say???
    theunknown2009
    Freshman

Number of posts : 282
    Registration date : 2009-01-18

Post by theunknown2009 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:37 am

He is trying to say Canada cheated and doesn't deserve anything they got
    hoopfan
    Freshman

Post by hoopfan on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:47 am

It reads "The Top 30 [b]High School Players[/b]"....if the USA did what the Cdns did they would have John Wall, Avery Bradley, Xavier Henry etc playing. Kids who finished school last June are no longer "high school players".
    zonekiller
    Junior

Post by zonekiller on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:55 am

cool.
    hoopfan
    Freshman

Post by hoopfan on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:15 pm

In the end it was a great showing for Canada playing well in the finals at both the Nike and Adidas events. Another milestone for basketball in Canada.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:40 pm

[quote="hoopfan"]It reads "The Top 30 [b]High School Players[/b]"....if the USA did what the Cdns did they would have John Wall, Avery Bradley, Xavier Henry etc playing. Kids who finished school last June are no longer "high school players".[/quote]

What reads?

I am capable of reading. Can you?

The front page reads " The Top 30 AMERICAN High school players play the International Elite from Across the World"

The U.S. can do whatever the hell it wants Canada was within the guidelines.

The Info page reads:

TOURNAMENT INFORMATION:
    The Nike Global Challenge takes center court at Liberty High School, August 7-9, 2009. This 8-team, 12-game tournament features the top high school and U19 basketball players from the United States, Canada, FMP-Serbia, Senegal, Brazil, and All-Asia.

For players from the United States, the Nike Global Challenge is the final tournament in Nike's series of Skills Academies. In June, these players will be invited to participate in positional skills camps around the country hosted by several NBA superstars including Steve Nash, Paul Pierce, Vince Carter and Amare Stoudamire. They then traveled to Akron, Ohio, to participate in the LeBron James US Skills Academy. The top 30 players selected from this camp will represent the United States in the Nike Global Challenge.

Get it right before you post!

I don't care if the U.S. John Wall, Avery Bradley or Kobe Bryant that's their business as long as they are within their rules. They can divide their team in three or thirty-three that's not our concern we play who they send out!

The fact is their teams lost to Brazil and Senegal and were very fortunate to beat Canada!

zonekiller
    Junior

Post by zonekiller on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:46 pm

way to go coach C
    hoopfan
    Freshman

Post by hoopfan on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:29 pm

Coach C if you go back and read my original post you realize that I was simply trying to answer a question asked by "bronbron23". No one stated anything about cheating. I was only trying to suggest an explanation as to why the Cdn team put younger birthdates for the majority of their players. At the same time I pointed out that the U19 is for countries that use a different high school system than we are accustomed to in North America. James Harden, Tyreke Evans and Demar Derozen are U19 as well so I suppose you would have no problem with them playing? I suppose everyone has different ethics and morals. If you can do so pls provide "bronbron23" with a better explanation for the incorrect ages and stop attacking the innocent.

BTW I did get it right before i posted.

Current date/time is Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:54 am