The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

Seriously?

tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Seriously? Empty Seriously?

Post by tart11 on Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:21 pm

Not naming names...but you can figure it out.

How does a kid score 61 points in an 111-30 win? That is an 81 point difference.

Shouldnt even be reported.

Come on...educators they say....absolutely no need. It was done just to get the kid attention. Don't care if he was hot...
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Seriously? Empty Re: Seriously?

Post by rerun on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:12 pm

I don't know the details about the Pine Ridge-All Saints game earlier today but that's not a good look on the surface.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5294
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement on Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:41 pm

Personally I do not feel points are a good measure of a person's having a good game. I do not put a high value on the number of points an individual puts up.

The 25-point club is a measure that has been adopted because most teams do not track rebounds, steals, assists etc. many (but not all players) at the top of the board are good players on bad teams.

In my experience a lot of the top teams have balanced scoring which is the reason they succeed. Jordan Henry is an exception to the rule in my opinion.

As a Junior National player with plenty of interest from next level teams all over the continent he can obviously play.

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:34 pm

Rumor has it Ahmed Ali put up 103 pts. today. Its all ridiculous imo.

What's the point?

Gnganinja
    Freshman

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2014-12-16

Post by Gnganinja on Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:46 am

Already made my noise on Twitter about both. Frankly I like Henry. But at what point do less the coach or player say what am I in this game? My team is up by a large amount ima aim for 20 assists or more screw the points we know he can score.

As for Ahmed that is pure bullshit but hey good for him. CW Jeffreys doesn't have any player that can stop him? They scored 70+ and he still managed over 3 pts a minute while they scored 111?

I ask what's the purpose of him doing this? NPH writes when he got the ball he launched? Like he had no concept of team basketball at all its just cross half and let it rain. Can he score? Of course....is he a good player? Evidently so. But anyone knows though Denham Brown story of 100 it wasn't because he was hot. They meant to do this.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:31 am

To me it makes a team better when the scoring is diversified in a recent game my Junior team put up 90 points the scoring looked like 15,14,13,9,9.9.7 etc. Everybody played only two players did not score.

We have 5-6 guys maybe more who can score 25 points it happens on occasion but not by design at all. If a player has a good game so be it I am not opposed to him scoring especially if we are playing a good opponent. A player does not need to score to score 25, 50 or 100 to prove he can play basketball.

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:48 am

A factor in the Senior game was that they were very short-handed and two Juniors had to use up their eligibility just to have enough players to play the game!

Gnganinja
    Freshman

Post by Gnganinja on Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:04 pm

Jordan drops 61, i believe i read he had 10 assists as well? He scored 61 of the teams 111. Team basketball was present in their game. Despite a lopsided victory they still played as a team. As for the other debacle of a game, i definitely dont believe any player should ever get close to that, but he did and he will relish in his fame now.

In the article, NPH was told that he shot 50-60%. Made 23 threes, 60% of that is roughly 38 shots. Without watching the tape, i know this kid shot 60 shots in the game
    t43
    Freshman

Number of posts : 158
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Post by t43 on Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:07 pm

Not that it needs to be justified with a response...however I will provide one...

I can only speak for the game I know of...

Jordan Henry had 61 points and probably more than 20 assists. We don't have the ability to track assists and the other categories yet. The realities of the game were this:
    1. The entire team had been decimated by the flu, including the Head Coach who was absent, and 4 of the players including 2 starters and 2 rotational players.
    2. As Coach Clement said indeed we were short benched and had to bring up two juniors for the game-who did in fact play at least half of the game and they were Gr 9's. However because of the short bench and lack of players we had to do so.
    3. At no time were players specifically passing to Jordan or was he trying to "get" that many points. Jordan has always been focused on team basketball, it's one of his shining qualities.
    4. Jordan was also subbed in and out of the game

As a coach, you can do things to ensure that you play with a sense of class, take off the press, try and work on rotations and sets, and be humble on the court. All of these things were done. You can't tell a team to not score??? What does that say? We have to remember Jordan is a member of the JMNT and playing on home soil...if someone would like for us to arrange a game where he scores 200 points it CAN be done. But as mentioned above, that is not the point of basketball. The point is to compete, learn, work hard and respect your teammates and opponents.

Happy Holidays!

Last edited by t43 on Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Gnganinja
    Freshman

Post by Gnganinja on Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:20 pm

Well said. Jordan is a great kid. I look forward to his game tonight vs BTB PREP in Orangeville
    Coach Dom
    Freshman

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2015-06-23

Post by Coach Dom on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:28 am

In my opinion too much emphasis is placed on scoring in HS.
    The 25 Points Club is not helping players become better "players", but creates more selfishness.
    A lot of this lies on the coaches as well and how that coach runs a team. If a player never leaves the court, even in blowout games vs bad teams, of course said player will notch a high scoring total.
    If your point guard is putting up over 25 points per game, how much of a PG is he? Or is he a shooting guard.

Current date/time is Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:52 am