The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

Junior Rimrocker

VBA2001
    Freshman

Number of posts : 23
    Registration date : 2013-08-22

Junior Rimrocker - Page 3 Empty Re: Junior Rimrocker

Post by VBA2001 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:15 pm

Just to clear the rumours here Vaughan is not a prep school. We a large number of players choose to come to Vaughan because of the recent years of success and a little media attention we have gotten over the past. For the most part players choose to come here to learn and compete at a high level. Now our grade 9 class was very good but to say we are prep because of it is absurd. Did you know that a majority of the grade 9 class has been playing together for 2-5 years now and choose to go to Vaughan to continue playing with their friends. Scary part is there are a lot of players from that rep team that thought about attending Vaughan but choose to go to other schools like Crothers, Thornlea, and even DY.

I understand success can cause I few speculations but we aren't any different from other teams, we have our flaws, our game plans, and we make our mistakes. When you consider a prep team it's actually a huge compliment cause we don't have any standout stars, you don't see our players all over the 25 point club, we lack a lot of height and post play, some of our best p,ayers in the age group are playing senior and/or have gone to the states but we still make it work. All these years in the gym are paying off for my boys
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker on Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:31 pm

A few comments:

- Anyone watching the bronze medal game would not claim that it didn't matter to Thornlea. They were visibly disappointed at the loss.

- The grade 9 rule in Peel states that players are eligible to play in grade 9 only if one of the following applies:
    1) They live in the school's boundaries.
    2) They are enrolled in a regional program (e.g. IB, French Immersion, Arts).
    3) An older sibling attended the school the previous year and continues to attend the school in the current year

- I know Durham has a grade 9 rule but I have not heard of other regions.

- If a player sits out a year after transferring they can play in ROPSSAA the year after but if they are coming from out of boundary to play in a tournament only or elite development program then they are ineligible for ROPSSAA every year they are at that school.

2018 Senior Rimrocker Champions: St. Francis Xavier
    2018 Junior Rimrocker Champions: St. Marguerite d'Youville
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by tart11 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:41 pm

It helps when all the best talent also shows up to your school...because of the hype surrounding your program. Kids find ways to go to basketball schools. On the senior Vaughan team Kascius was at Vanier last year and Kordeiro was a top York region player at another school before he transfered to Vaughan.

The kids rightly transfered cause Vaughan runs a good program, but time in the gym is one thing. Kids who are ball players showing up to your school is another.
    Clarkson juniors are a top team in Peel overnight? and Thornlea becomes a power in Ontario overnight? i don't have a problem with it. Kids should go to the schools they want.

But Vaughan, DY, Campion, Marcy, Oakwood, Carr, St Mikes, Pine Ridge, Thornlea get basketball kids attending. They run good programs and are top schools. BUT the real grind is done by schools and coaches who try and field a competitive team without any basketball kids attending...these schools are up and down every year, and inconsistent.
    Gnganinja
    Freshman

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2014-12-16

Post by Gnganinja on Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:58 pm

Great programs attract great players. Sucks for those with mediocre talent that enroll there. But NCAA/CIS doesnt deal with mediocrity so whats the point anyways. End of the day, those top players have to do their school work, if they're failing they dont play, those top programs in Campion/DY i know have and abide by this rule.

Just because a school has a basketball team doesnt mean they have a program. Majority of peel schools fill teams with players that try out and are low to mid level rep players while top programs have mid to high level. Cant blame Vaughan who has mid to high level. Like the coach above said, no bigs and they have 3 guards that are like 5' 8 or shorter that are true bulldogs.

Vaughan has a pedigree of winning, maybe they wanna be part of something Wiggins did, maybe they wanna be coached by someone like Gus, maybe be part of a Nike sponsored school where mom and dad has to pay a fee higher than most basic schools that arent in high level tournaments like their own, FHC, SMC, or whatever else has NPH showing up every weekend just for perhaps once get their name put out there
    PRKING76
    Freshman

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2016-01-11

Post by PRKING76 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:36 pm

Its a shame all School are not created equally in opportunity for kids in any capacity be it academic or sports .. complaining about where 12 kids go to play basketball is silly its 12 boys Junior or Senior .. if 60 amazing players showed up to Vaughan or Thornlea they can only pick 12-24 and have a few teams nothing crazy compared to the total student body..

Kids need to go where the competition is best for them, where they can play important games and in big tournament events and where the School cares about them and the sport they enjoy. Many Schools want good teams and good Athletics but do nothing to create the environment living in school boundaries shouldn't hinder a kids goals in High School in sport or academics.

Let the kids play where they want !!
    dybball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 210
    Registration date : 2009-09-16

Post by dybball on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:14 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, Vaughan and Thornlea won't face in Junior league as I believe the Thornlea junior team is in Teir 2 senior?

I think OFSAA should look over all the regions and make the rules equal to everyone in every region. Peel I believe is the only region left with a grade 9 rule, pretty sure Durham threw theirs out the door last year.

Not sure why a student can go to a school for, lets say, dance, and can't attend a school for basketball.

Congrats to 7 Peel teams advancing to the round of 16!!!!!! One was even a tier 2 team. Crazy competitive in Peel and creates great basketball year in and year out. Everyone is beatable on any day. Unlike other regions where their is little to no competition and the same 1-2 teams fight for the title.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5294
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement on Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:45 am

Durham is pretty competitive at the Junior level.

There are four teams that can beat one another. They all compete in top-level tournaments: Pickering J Clarke Notre Dame and Pine Ridge are the four.

There are other pretty reasonable teams as well.

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement
    tart11
    Senior

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by tart11 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:49 am

Peel is deep, so many competitive teams....Thornlea and Vaughan in York region...Bill Crothers would be good if they werent discriminated against. crowthers cant compere for OFSAA, meanwhile the private schools like St Mikes, Crescent, Upper Canada college clearly recruit and not only compete in OFSAA but win it. I dont have a problem with this, but have one same rule across the board. Peel is clearly at a disadvantage as the grade 9 rule is making it tough on players to choose what school they can go to.

Then you have Henry Carr who has Brampton kids on their team??? what?? lets hear Melnyk deny this. Again, I dont have a problem with this cause I believe kids should be able to choose their school, and carr does a good job promoting and developing the kids, but I do have a problem with powerhouses being created like St mikes, Vaughan, thornlea, carr, oakwood, Central Tech (give it another year) and the peel schools have a stupid grade 9 rule.

Again shoutout to the coaches who coach mediocre kids from their neighbourhood into a competitive team.

Central Peel by the way should of played tier I...coach there was an assistant on team Ontario, has a solid group of kids and is going tier II? come on...winning by 30 in league not going to teach these kids anything. Meanwhile, Turner-Fenton should be in tier II and they keep going to tier I....good for them I guess they have courage.
    dybball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 210
    Registration date : 2009-09-16

Post by dybball on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:02 pm

Several Peel Tier II teams should be playing Tier I without a doubt

Also, with the grade 9 rule it is a double whammy. Not only can you not draw from your own region out of your boundaries you can't draw from other regions like some of the other best basketball programs do

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:27 pm