The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

Looking for comments

Crabber
    Freshman

Number of posts : 106
    Registration date : 2011-11-13

Looking for comments Empty Looking for comments

Post by Crabber on Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:28 pm

I live in Pa.and I follow Max-Preps here in the states and today they called Orangeville Prep the best team in the history of Canada basketball now I have watched them 5 times and was not that impresed but I know they are playing much better now. Earlyer in the year I told people on NPH that I thought that St. Mikes could beat them and someone said that Prep would win by 30. I know that Philly Roman Catholic is not rated our National ratings but if the US people did not rate all the Prep Schools in with high school teams than Roman would be rated.

THOUGHTS:
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Looking for comments Empty Re: Looking for comments

Post by rerun on Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:19 pm

Orangeville is huge!!! I think their size and length would give St. Mikes a lot of trouble. St. Mikes is usually the bigger team on the court against other Canadian High schools teams. They have a couple of guys that are 6ft-3 and 6ft-4 range. Orangeville Prep has Thon Maker and his brother that are around 7ft-1 and 6ft-10. They are skilled and have NBA size and I think that's the difference right there.

Last edited by rerun on Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Crabber
    Freshman

Post by Crabber on Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:13 am

But do you think they are the best team in the history of Canada high school basketball.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement on Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:40 am

I think Orangeville Prep is the best team I have seen in Canada in my 50+ years in the game!

They have 8-10 players at 6-5 or taller. They are skilled at every position.

I feel they are capable of beating St. Mikes by a wide margin. I do respect St. Mike's however. I love the way they play it is cutting edge.

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:13 pm

I would not consider Orangeville Prep a true Canadian High School Team.
    They are in a separate category! Yes, the players are high school age but having two generational talents llike Thon Maker and his brother makes it an unfair comparison to a regular high school.

From what I've been told, the best team ever is probably the 1984 Hamilton Cathedral team. I never saw them play but I heard the stories how they beat good American teams quite often. Somebody might be able to verify this, but, I heard they beat Dematha (MD.) or lost to them by 2 points. Regardless, Dematha is an elite high school program in the States and that 1984 Cathedral team proved they could really compete with high calibre American high school teams.

Last edited by rerun on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Crabber
    Freshman

Post by Crabber on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:24 pm

I will try to find DeMatha's 1984 record with scores. I know a lot about them and when I was with Middle Atlantic Sports I saw them many times, so if and when I find that I will get back to you.
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:36 pm

I found it! Hamilton Cathedral lost in the final of the 1984 Alhambra Catholic Invitational Tournament in Hagerstownn, Maryland. It was considered the most prestigious catholic high school tournament in the United States. Cathedral beat Bishop Walsh 75-54, Archbishop Carroll in the semi-final 75-70 and lost to Dematha in the final 70-53. It was regarded at that time as the North American High School Final!!! Hamilton Cathedral was that good!!! That's like the present St. Mikes team beating schools like Oak Hill, Mater Dei and Findlay Prep etc
    Crabber
    Freshman

Post by Crabber on Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:07 pm

I was not able to find it but DeMatha was 29-2 that year and rated #1 in the USA. I do remember it now and remember Catholic schools coming from Canada a lot. Thanks, I will copy and past this on the Pa sportsboard that I am on as I had a friend help looking for me.
    nomullies
    Freshman

Number of posts : 39
    Registration date : 2012-02-25

Post by nomullies on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:41 pm

I think Oakwood had a very good team, among many over the years, in the early 80s as well that went something like 70-2. If memory serves they went to Quebec, Manitoba and BC to play the best teams and beat them all. Sadly, they lost at OFSAA. Possibly to a Windsor team who regularly played Detroit high schools. I also remember a pretty good St. Mike's team in the late 70s with Leo Rautins. They also were upset in the OFSAA semi's by St. Catherine's Governor Simcoe. The memory isn't what it used to be so please feel free to fill in the gaps.
    GTA_Fan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2011-11-21

Post by GTA_Fan on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:00 pm

What about the 1995-96 Eastern Commerce team and the 2007-08 Pickering HS team? Both were very good teams.
    nomullies
    Freshman

Number of posts : 39
    Registration date : 2012-02-25

Post by nomullies on Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:56 am

Eastern Commerce definitely had some terrific teams. Did I hear a rumour it is closing? Always a sad thing. John Petruschak also had some pretty good Runnymede teams over a long stretch. Pop machines were a big part of his fundraising. Not sure that goes on a whole lot now.
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun on Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:09 pm

Ya! Eastern Comerce is closing at the end of this year. Right now the school has only 65 students in total and 12 of those 65 are on the ball team.

The Pickering team of 2007-2008 is definitely an all time great team. I'm biased and can only refer to my generation from a historical standpoint. I think the 1988 Bathurst team and 1989 Runnymede team would beat the Pickering team or Eastern Commerce team. That's my humble opinion! PHS came one shot away from losing that 2008 championship to Eastern Commerce. Devoe Joseph's step back jumper in the dying seconds of that game secured that second championship. Eastern Commerce had that championship like San Antonio in 2013 so close not quite.

I don't know if Pickering would have been able to handle the elite American teams like Findlay Prep (Avery Bradley), St. Benedicts (Kyrie Irving) and St. Anthony's when they almost lost to Eastern in the OFSAA final.

That 1995-1996 Eastern Commerce team was nice as well with the back to back OFSAA championships. However, could they have handled elite American teams like Mount Zion Christian with Tracy McGrady or Harvard-West Lake with Jason and Jarron Collins? That's what makes that 1984 Hamilton Cathedral team special and arguably the best Canadian high school team of all time. They played against the elite American teams and beat them. They played against the American National Champion in Dematha and lost in the final by 17.

I don't know if the two teams you mentioned could have done that against the elite American high school teams...top 20 American teams!
    Crabber
    Freshman

Post by Crabber on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:53 am

That 2008 Pickering Eastern Champion was the first Canadian game I ever saw that shot by Devoe reminded of Allen Iversons shot in the Virginia State final that brought his team from 17 points down. I was on press row for that game. I watched St. Mikes 4 games in their tourney. I had seen them 7 times before the Roman lss and they are playing non a higher level now.
    Hoopstalk
    Freshman

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2014-01-17

Looking for comments Empty Eastern

Post by Hoopstalk on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:04 pm

just my two cents that  1994-96 Eastern Commerce team was without a doubt the best Gta team in history can't speak fot the rest of Canada and if my memory is correct that 96 team lost once and played a number of tournament across the border and came back with championships. That starting 5 all played US collage Jamal played nba ball and 2 or 3 of them played US collage soccer btw would have love to see what  Doug Johnson could have done ...they get my vote for the best high school ball team in history
    Crabber
    Freshman

Post by Crabber on Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:21 pm

What was their record and what US tournaments did they play in?
    Hoopstalk
    Freshman

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2014-01-17

Post by Hoopstalk on Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:00 pm

Pretty sure 32-1 I'm getting together with a few of those guys in a couple of weeks, funny how time flys a few years ago summer vacation felt like a life time and we had nothing but time. I'll pick their brains and get back to you. I do remember the lost was in a tournament in the Bahamas WI bc we couldn't stop making fun of them ...I'm sure you understand ...know one likes a winner all the time ps nice to see people out side Canada keep,in touch with Canadian basketball
    Crabber
    Freshman

Post by Crabber on Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:18 am

I want to thank you and everyone else who has giving me information.
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun on Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:21 pm

Hoopstalk!

You might be right with your mention of Eastern Commerce. I was in university down in the States when that Eastern Commerce team was dominating high school basketball in the GTA, Ontario and Canada. I heard the stories but I never saw them play a game.

I found an article title "Eastern Commerce edges Sumter to reach semi-final" in the Ocala Star Banner newspaper after I did a google search on Eastern Commerce Jamal Magloire.

In the article it says, that they went undefeated in the 1994-1995 season with a record of 44-0 and stated they had not lost a game in Canada in two years.
    It further says they came down to Florida for some competition against America's best high school teams. They ended up winning the Kingdom USA National Invitational beating Swainsboro, Ga in the final 69-50. They were ranked 3rd in Georgia at the 6A and beat Sumter in the semi-final the number one team in South Carolina at the 4A Level. They lost two games and won only one game in the City of Palms Tournament in Fort Myers, Florida.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5447

Post by HooptownGTA on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:42 am

I received an email from an Eastern Commerce Historian, and told him I would post his comments on his behalf:

1. The 1994-1996 teams won back-to-back OFSAA's.

2a. They only lost 1 game in Canada over two years and went 44-0 in 1995-1996.

2b. Won the Kingdom of the Sun NIT Tournament in Ocala Florida - beat #3 from Kentucky (London HS), #1 From South Carolina (Sumter HS), #2 from Georgia in the semi (Swainsboro) & #1 from Florida in the Championship game (Orlando's Dr Phillips HS).

2c. Won 1 & lost 2 at Ft Myers, Florida "City Of Palms" Tournament.

3a. Five of those players went NCAA D1. - Doug Johnson (Miami of Ohio), Jamaal Magloire (Kentucky), Collin Charles (St John's / Quinnipiac), Calvin Meikle (Toledo), Aaron Grant (San Jose State). Dwayne Beckford played NCAA D2 ball at Albany's St Mary's College. Mark Ambers went to an NAIA school along with Mark Hunte from the 1993-1995 team (Central West Virginia).

3b. Every single player graduated high school to post secondary education thanks to Nobuko Khan and Simeon Mars!!

Phone & Text: 647-668-6890
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/HooptownGTA
    Twitter: @HooptownGTA
    Instagram: hooptowngta
    Crabber
    Freshman

Post by Crabber on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:15 am

Once again thank's so much. It was Eastern Commerce that turned me on to Canadian ball I saw them in the Beach Ball Classic. I think it was the same year they almost beat the 70-2 Pickering team in the Championship game. Since their school is closing I am going to have to find a hoodie of them that says Eastern Commerce basketball on the front of it.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295

Post by Coach Clement on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:25 pm

Was at the game. They have a great team this year too!

They should not be overlooked at OFSAA for sure!

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement
    tipoff
    Freshman

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2011-12-04

Post by tipoff on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:31 pm

The 1983-1984 Cathedral team was very, very good.

The 1994-95 Eastern team was the undefeated team in Ontario. Magloire was ineligible for OFSAA on that team after transferring but played all other games leading up to OFSAA.

The 1995-96 Eastern team lost in the final of the Silver Fox tournament that season and was not undefeated but may have been stronger than the previous years team.

Some of Cathedral's other OFSAA Champion teams were very strong as was Bathurst Heights 1987-1988 and Runnymede 1988-1989 (Bathurst Heights and Runnymede had the 2 best teams in Ontario in 1989 but only one could qualify for OFSAA from their association) and the Pickering teams mentioned above were very strong as well.
    tipoff
    Freshman

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2011-12-04

Post by tipoff on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:00 pm

Forgot to mention that the 1984 Runnymede team that lost to Cathedral in the OFSAA Championship game was also outstanding, as was the 1985 Runnymede OFSAA Championship team which beat a very strong Eastern Commerce in the final at Varsity Arena.

I wonder which Runnymede team Mr. Melnik would rate as the strongest?

George Harvey was also very, very good in 1983-84 and 1984-85 as well as Oshawa O' Neil in the 84-85 season.

Also have to give props to Vaughan S.S. especially with a 10th grade Mr. Wiggins leading the way to their first of 2 championshis.

Most underrated OFSAA championship teams could be the Guelph St. James squad or Oshawa O'Neil, both in the 1990's.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:16 pm

Crabber wrote:I live in Pa.and I follow Max-Preps here in the states and today they called Orangeville Prep the best team in the history of Canada basketball now I have watched them 5 times and was not that impresed but I know they are playing much better now.

They are not the best high school team in the history of Canada because they are not a high school team.
    Crabber
    Freshman

Post by Crabber on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:42 am

I agree 100% It makes me so mad when the rating people in the US rate those teams with regular high schools. One year Max-Prep seperated them and I praised them many times but the next year they went right back to the same way. That's why I posted the question because I was hoping to hear a responces like yours

Current date/time is Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:24 am