HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

The New OBA Transfer Rules - A Horrible Policy for All

martymo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2014-06-30

The New OBA Transfer Rules - A Horrible Policy for All Empty The New OBA Transfer Rules - A Horrible Policy for All

Post by martymo on Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:45 pm

The new OBA Transfer policy is one which probably has the support of many clubs and coaches, but it's a radical decision that parents should be protesting.

Under the new rules, players are kept captive to their clubs. Want to try out for a number of different teams? You can try, but you won't be picked unless you're hot enough to justify a $300 transfer fee. Don't like your coach? You better find out quickly before you sign on with the team. This decision can only be made once, because once you commit, you *belong* to the club until the end of time (it's not made clear in the policy whether clubs have to release a player after a request is made regardless of whether the transfer fee is paid or not). Didn't make team 1 at your club? Maybe you're good enough to make team 1 at another club, but you'll never know with this new transfer policy in place.

Coaches may have rejoiced at the news of the OBA Transfer Policy, but this policy hurts them too. Does you team badly need a talented big? Then you better hope that the bigs on team 2 or the younger team will develop quickly. Does you team need a shooter? Again, you will be seeing the same kids try out year after year. The only new kids you'll see are kids who've never played basketball competitively before, and the chances they'll be skilled is well...not good.

AAU coaches (without an OBA team) should be especially concerned as many of their players are drawn from kids that play with different OBA teams during the season. Better hope OBA teams don't field AAU teams themselves, or your try-outs will likely be attended by raw players only.

Coaches, if you are looking to form a new team older than novice level - just give up now. The fees to create a team with players drawn from other teams makes this decision financially impossible.

The OBA has been making rash decisions without proper consultation. Remember how they got rid of time-outs during the season last year? If any of you were at the OBA 3x3 last year, you know that they were thinking of making even more radical changes. We've got to let the OBA know that they can't operate in this high-handed, irrational manner. If this policy stays in place, I can see a lot of players leave basketball altogether. It's time to take a stand.
    kourosh1234
    Freshman

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2013-11-27

The New OBA Transfer Rules - A Horrible Policy for All Empty Re: The New OBA Transfer Rules - A Horrible Policy for All

Post by kourosh1234 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:56 pm

What if you played a season in the OBAs then missed a year and are now getting back to playing OBA basketball do the rules still apply???
    martymo
    Freshman

The New OBA Transfer Rules - A Horrible Policy for All Empty Re: The New OBA Transfer Rules - A Horrible Policy for All

Post by martymo on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:19 pm

The policy goes into effect this season. So you can try out for whatever team you like. However, you have to be careful what club you sign with this season, as you will be stuck with that club for the coming years unless you can get a transfer.
    bluecheese
    Freshman

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2011-04-27

Post by bluecheese on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:33 pm

What was the logic for not allowing time outs? IMO, this is a very important teaching opportunity for the coaches. They also did not allow for AND 1's in the Ontario Cup.

The transfer policy is ridiculous.
    martymo
    Freshman

Post by martymo on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:19 pm

Bluecheese, from what I was told, the time-outs were eliminated due to a request from referees. They thought games were running too long. I agree with you that they are an important teaching opportunity, especially for younger players. Happily, the ABS league hasn't eliminated this important feature.
    martymo
    Freshman

Post by martymo on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:24 pm

I haven't seen any real buzz about this issue. The only person from the basketball community talking about this seems to be blogger, Game Shooter Sport.

So, please spread the word around to other players and parents. I think the timing of the release (right after NBA draft and right before the long weekend) ended up burying this news. Feel free to repost the original message. Thanks.
    Coach Sean
    Freshman

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2014-05-14

Post by Coach Sean on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:25 am

Hi All,

I've started the following petition on change.org to give back freedom of choice to players and coaches in the OBA.  This change will be brought forward as a motion at the OBA Annual Meeting of Members on October 31, 2015. Please take a moment to sign this petition and share with all the impacted athletes, parents and coaches that you know.  We appreciate your support.

Click here to view the petition on change.org:
    https://www.change.org/p/ontario-basketball-association-jason-jansson-mike-barbin-freedom-of-choice-for-players-and-coaches-in-the-ontario-basketball-association

Sincerely,
    Coach Sean

The views expressed above are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of any organization that I am affiliated with.
    bluecheese
    Freshman

Post by bluecheese on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:15 am

any update on this situation?
    StringMusic
    Freshman

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2014-01-31

Post by StringMusic on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:57 am

I am generally pro-OBA but the transfer policy has/is backfiring in a big way.  The intent was to keep kids from bouncing around from team to team (and I get that) but it has caused or contributed to some major teams blowing-up (SBA#1, Vaughan#1, etc.)  Instead of slowing down the proliferation of 'fly-by-night' shady AAU teams - they have increased it.  Why be locked into an OBA team and be stuck for $300 to move when you can move to an AAU team for free?  Bad policy that wasn't thought through. OBA needs to get a handle on what is happening out there - but every time they try to, they end up making things worse.

They best players in Ontario should be on OBA teams.  The elite OBA teams can play Elite Youth Basketball League (in US) too instead of having vulnerable kids sucked in by the false promises of shady AAU programs.  Haven't we seen this story before?

OBA!  Wake up before you completely lose grip.  OSBA and OBL are a good start - don't blow it.

-SM
    StringMusic
    Freshman

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2014-01-31

Post by StringMusic on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:03 pm

I am generally pro-OBA but the transfer policy has/is backfiring in a big way.  The intent was to keep kids from bouncing around from team to team (and I get that) but it has caused or contributed to some major teams blowing-up (SBA#1, Vaughan#1, etc.)  Instead of slowing down the proliferation of 'fly-by-night' shady AAU teams - they have increased it.  Why be locked into an OBA team and be stuck for $300 to move when you can move to an AAU team for free?  Bad policy that wasn't thought through. OBA needs to get a handle on what is happening out there - but every time they try to, they end up making things worse.

They best players in Ontario should be on OBA teams.  The elite OBA teams can play Elite Youth Basketball League (in US) too instead of having vulnerable kids sucked in by the false promises of shady AAU programs.  Haven't we seen this story before?

OBA!  Wake up before you completely lose grip.  OSBA and OBL are a good start - don't blow it.

-SM
    bluecheese
    Freshman

Post by bluecheese on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:53 pm

Thanks for your reply StringMusic. I'm hoping Coach Sean can tell us if anything came of his petition.

Current date/time is Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:06 pm