SMNT at FIBA Americas

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5294
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

SMNT at FIBA Americas Empty SMNT at FIBA Americas

Post by Coach Clement on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:33 pm

Nice start with a 85-64 over a stubborn Jamaica team. Key guys were Cory Joseph and Tristan Thompson with double-doubles and a near triple double for Cory!

A bit of an uneven effort all the same! Tough one vs. Puerto Rico on deck!

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement
    Skinny
    Freshman

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2013-08-21

SMNT at FIBA Americas Empty Re: SMNT at FIBA Americas

Post by Skinny on Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:43 pm

Right on Coach. I thought they moved the ball well and liked how CJ asserted himself when the team looked shaky in the third. I also dug the tightness of the rotation, as they stuck with nine guys. Our bigs looked active, and they will have to bang like crazy with the smaller three guard line-ups. One down...
    Cheers.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:40 am

Huge game for Cory Joseph on Sunday in our key win over Brazil. He is up there in several categories of stats including rebounding!

Need a win over Uruguay today! Mexico flying under everybody's radar now 3-0 with only Argentina left to play in first round!

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:42 am

Another big win over Uruguay and we are close to our spot in Spain for 2014.

The margin was 93-67 as Triano emptied the bench in the 4th. Andrew Nicholson and Cory Joseph paced Canada's first half and ended with 18 and 17 respectively. The energetic Tristan Thompson was close behind with 14 pts. and Levon Kendall had a solid 13 pts.

Overall it was a great team effort and we appear to have momentum going into the second round. Jamaica has a tough hill to climb and appear to be in very deep. The other pool is very evenly balanced and we will probably need two more wins to punch our ticket to Spain.

We start with Mexico on Thursday at 1:30.

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:47 am

We are tied with the unheralded Mexicans and a win would be huge. There was not a lot of talk about Mexico coming into these championships!

petro
    petro
    Senior

Number of posts : 1021

Post by petro on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:31 pm

Nice to hear from you coach

Looks like the boys keep getting stronger and stronger with each game. Very exciting indeed.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:27 am

Another big win 89-67 over Mexico although I didn't see the second half until later. Good to see both Rautins and Heslip lighting it up. Cory Joseph continues to shine!

A win over the home-side today will go a long way towards punching our ticket to the Worlds in Spain next year!

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:25 am

A disastrous loss to home-side Venezuela by a score of 64-59. We really have to no one to blame but ourselves. The well went dry as far as shooting the ball was concerned (4-25 3pt. shooting) and Andrew Nicholson played some really dumb basketball taking himself out of the equation.

We did manage a late run but too little too late!

Now we are up against it facing Dominican and Argentina in our last two games. The finish looks like a massive train wreck with multiple teams possibly finishing in a tie. Not sure how those would be resolved and nothing on the website. FIBA can come up with some weird formulae no doubt.

Now we need some results in our last two to even be in the mix! Nicholson needs to apply that considerable grey matter to keeping himself on the court! We need what he can bring not 2 pts. and 9:39 playing time! No more techs!

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:30 pm

Deadly! Much better from Nicholson but we are getting killed from beyond the arc!

We need to pull one tomorrow against Argentina. I wish I felt better about our chances!pale 

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:38 am

Here's a good synopsis of the FIBA Americas possibilities. Canada must beat Argentina and then they are looking good according to this. They have a +41 point differential. I thought if it was a two way tie (e.g. with Venezuela) it was head-to-head result.

wp.me/pPQKk-ff5

petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:28 am

Oh what a loss... I mean 3 losses... to end the tournament.

Not going to the worlds is an epic disaster on such a magnitude its not even consolable.

The Boys played hard, really hard, and were so close... but in the end they got outwitted, out savvied, out passioned, even if only by only a slight margin - but enough of a margin to send them packing.

Not sure if there are wild cards given out and not sure if they would be given one... but man not playing meaningful games next summer really stalls the program and might question the commitment of players.

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:33 am

Devastating petro!

There are wild cards but it appears we are unlikely to get one. It costs $5000.00 to apply and it seems they are all pretty much pre-decided.

There is talk of playing in a tournament next summer however.

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:05 am

The correct figure to apply for a wild card according to the Toronto Sun is "around $810,000.00". Wow some difference!

The whole thing is it may just be money down the drain! We would be a long shot to receive a spot.

petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:40 pm

Ya I just read that... not sure if the board will approve coughing up that kind of coin... and to be honest... the thought of that - just to be considered... seems really unethical.

They would be better off keeping that kind of money in the coffers and use it towards applying to host the Olympic qualifying tournament in Canada in two years from now.

petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro on Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:30 pm

well good news for Canada... TUrkey and Russia both tanked in the first round of Eurobasket and they are out... opening up a slim chance at the wild card
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 451

Post by observer on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:55 am

The guys gave it their all but lacked the necessary veteran experience to finish the critical games.  With the exception of Joel Anthony, who deserves kudos for his loyalty to the program, this is a very young team with a bright future.

Other than Cory Joseph, they didn't have anyone who could easily create his own shot.  

Still nothing to be ashamed of.  They were in almost every game.

Wiggins, Pangos, and Olynyk all should be available in the future to help the team.

And this coaching staff also is a good one -- lots of teaching and learning going on.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:59 am

observer

Is there a reason you omitted Anthony Bennett? Tyler Ennis-McIntyre should be ready too after a couple of years at Syracuse under Boeheim.

observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:40 am

The fact that Bennett and Olynyk came to observe the training camp even though they are injured right now would appear to be a good sign for the future.

Cadougan looked quite good out there in his minutes, so if Ennis and Pangos continue to progress that would mean a lot of depth at the point guard position.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:01 am

I thought Jermaine Anderson was good WHEN given a chance. Was this his last kick at the can?

I was a little shocked to see Heslip (in lieu of Anderson) at the point in the second half against Argentina and I think that move bit us in the butt a little. Anderson had been pretty damn good in other games and had combined well with Cory on a number of occasions!

petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:16 am

Not sure what was up with Anderson's limited playing time.

Agreed... I liked it a lot when Cory and the Rock were on the floor together.

Not sure why we didn't go small ball with three guards and two bigs... and limit Doornekamp's PT. I like Aaron and what he brings but he hurt us on the offensive end quite a few times - with some ill advised shots and unforced turnovers... and he looked off a wide open Andy and Brady a few times for his own three that didn't go in.

Tristan has to work on that 8 foot pull up leaner... too many bunny's were missed. Cory has to finish better too.

Still very excited about the future but as a loyal fan of CB and wanting them to do so well - this still hurts.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:12 am

I hate when this happens - I agree on all counts -lol!

Doornekamp had far to big a role. Because that's what he is with this group a role player. he should not be allowed to shoot so damn many three's either.

I was also frustrated that Thompson could not clean up the easy stuff. Cory missed some easy ones but was often playing through contact. both can and should finish better. I also thought Kendall missed a lot of open looks inside the arc.

I was incredulous when we went away from something that had obviously worked (Cory and Rock) and tried something new with our fate on the line. Lord knows we had enough brain power on the bench!

bigballer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2009-04-01

Post by bigballer on Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:09 am

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
    observer
    observer
    Sophomore

Post by observer on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:36 pm

This is a very young team.  They will learn from this defeat.  Some of these guys are or could still be university students, others only recently graduated or have been in the pros just a year or two.

When Bennett, Pangos, Wiggins, and Olynyk come on board that will make a big difference.

Sure we are little disappointed.  We should have been able to knock off a couple of those teams in the second round.  But, they have the edge in experience, if not talent.  They've also played together longer.

The only way to get experience is through games like they just lost.  Yes, they got knocked down.   But there is no shame in getting knocked down, only in not getting up.

We haven't heard the last from most of these guys. Their best is yet to come.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Post by Coach Clement on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:55 pm

Agree 100%. Not sure about the guys who say we have to be on the podium or nothing.

It is a process we are in that process. If we are not there in four years then I will be concerned. But we will be there!

I remember when I said all this was coming a couple of years ago people said I was dreaming up a tree. There are naysayers out there. They were prominent on Hooptown in the past.

It will happen. Patience is the key!

petro
    petro
    Senior

Post by petro on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:42 pm

Mexico PR in the final... helps that we smoked MExico.

Biggest factor that hasn't been mentioned is the clout that Steve Nash has... and hopefully he can make things happen.

With so many kids being drafted so high in the first round... perhaps Canada would be a bigger draw than most other countries - a la Turkey and Russia.

Nash has to convince FIBA that is in their best interest that we get a wild card because the sooner the worlds basketball fans get to know Canadian players the better it is for FIBA

Current date/time is Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:48 pm