HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released December 8, 2008

HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5426
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released December 8, 2008 Empty HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released December 8, 2008

Post by HooptownGTA on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:22 am

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released December 8, 2008

1. Eastern Commerce
    2. Mother Teresa
    3. d'Youville
    4. Pickering
    5. Henry Carr
    6. Loyola
    7. Oakwood
    8. Martingrove
    9. West Hill
    10. Vaughan
    11. Campion
    12. Emery
    13. George Harvey
    14. Central Commerce
    15. Western Tech
    16. Vaughan Road

Honourable Mentions: Father Goetz, St. Francis Xavier, Markham, Jefferys, Ascension, Westview, Laurier

Phone & Text: 647-668-6890
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/HooptownGTA
    Twitter: @HooptownGTA
    Instagram: hooptowngta
    CP3
    Freshman

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released December 8, 2008 Empty Re: HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released December 8, 2008

Post by CP3 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:43 am

Hows Xavier not on the top 16 if they knocked off #16 Markham. And who gas number 14-16 beat to be on the list?
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released December 8, 2008 Empty Re: HooptownGTA's Super 16 - released December 8, 2008

Post by HooptownGTA on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:25 am

[quote="CP3"]Hows Xavier not on the top 16 if they knocked off #16 Markham. And who gas number 14-16 beat to be on the list?[/quote]

We had three teams at the bottom of the previour Super 16 that lost over the weekend.
    #12 Father Goetz
    #13 Jefferys
    #16 Markham

Western Tech defeated previously #12 Father Goetz
    Central Commerce defeated Western Tech
    Vaughan Road defeated previously #13 Jefferys

I gave Central Commerce the highest seed amoung those three because they defeated Western Tech.

Western Tech got the next seed because they defeated previously #12 Father Goetz (and Vaughan Road a few weeks back), however lost to Central Commerce.

Vaughan Road got the 16th seed because they defeated previously ranked #13 Jefferys

St. Francis Xavier has a good tournament defeating previous #16 Markham and previously honourable mentioned St.Theresa of Lisieux.

Last edited by HooptownGTA on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:25 am

I'm with CP, xavier is getting massively gyped, all due to a couple of losses when almost all their starters (i've been told 4 by one of the coaches) were missing. (The same tournament that has lead to George Harvey getting ranked way too high.) Since then they've won three tournaments against a number of decent teams. I know you have told us about only looking at GTA competition but it seems rather selective and hurts teams that don't simply stick to the same circuit of local tourneys year after year. You only seem to count the big name tournaments non-GTA tournaments but some of the teams Xavier beat (Welland ND, St.Francis, St. Chris, Ursuline) are also at those big name tournaments.

Just to show that my bias isn't only in favour of Peel teams, I will also point out that Campion is way overrated. They lost games to Augustine (who was beat by Mississauga in league play) and Brampton ND (who was destroyed by Xavier the day before the regular season) already this year and I wonder who they have beaten of note.

vaughan is also ranked much too low. This is a team that was final four at Carr and beat West Hill in their last tournament. Are they being pushed down simply for lack of activity last weekend?

Some of these teams seem to still be ranked based on rep or on simplyhaving enough posters boosting them on the board. I know you do your research, Rick but I see a defnite bias towards teams in the 416 in this ranking.

I don't know why Laurier gets a mention and St. Theresa doesn't. Looking at the scorelines from Markham, St Theresa gave Xavier a much harder game than Laurier. It looks like Laurier is a one-man team.

I suppose this comes off as a lot of whining but I think that, after the top 5, the list could easily be blown up and put back together from scratch, instead of selective use of recent results.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:20 pm

Peel Fan,

I never knew that Campion lost to St. Augustine and Brampton Notre Dame in league play. The only info I have on them was losing to St. Thomas Aquinas (Oakville) & Assumption at the Pinky Lewis. Campion actually dropped in the ranking due to the fact that they haven't beaten any Super 16 teams since the rankings came out November 5th.

With reguards to St. Francis Xavier.
    You wrote, "Since then they've won three tournaments against a number of decent teams."... "You only seem to count the big name tournaments non-GTA tournaments but some of the teams Xavier beat (Welland ND, St.Francis, St. Chris, Ursuline) are also at those big name tournaments."

Those out of town teams (Welland ND, St.Francis, St. Chris, Ursuline) meet be in the "big name tournaments", but have those teams (Welland ND, St.Francis, St. Chris, Ursuline), beaten the St.Mary's, the Beal's, the St.Thomas More's, the Assumptions....???

With regards to Vaughan. Yes they made it to the final four of the Henry Carr tournament, but who did they beat to get there.... Sacred Heart and Ottawa St.Pat's...then they lost to Henry Carr 74-61 and then to Mother Teresa 74-40. Do you think based on that, that they should be ranked higher? They beat West Hill and then lost to Father Goetz in an exhibition game. Do you think they should be ranked higher based on that?

With regards to Laurier and St. Theresa.
    Laurier had a good showing at the Prestige tournament defeating previously #16 Markham and Milliken Mills (who beat St.Theresa).
    St. Theresa's lost to Millken Mills and St.Francis Xavier.

I think once you get passed #10 to #12, you can toss the teams up and getting a different ranking on a weekly basis.

Last edited by HooptownGTA on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:53 pm; edited 4 times in total

RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Post by RealBall on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:03 pm

Hooptown;

Vaughan has not played Newtonbrook.
    The game you may be thinking of is when Newtonbrook beat #14 Central Commerce in exhibition play.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:08 pm

[quote="RealBall"]Hooptown;

Vaughan has not played Newtonbrook.
    The game you may be thinking of is when Newtonbrook beat #14 Central Commerce in exhibition play.[/quote]

Actually, I meant Father Goetz. I made the correction in the post above.

Thanks.

Last edited by HooptownGTA on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tango
    Freshman

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post by Tango on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:11 pm

This ranking system is a joke. Rick and I have been going back and forth with who should be ranked. For you to be in the top 16, is more about location, rather than how good a team actually is.

Noticed that the Toronto teams dominate the top 16 list. It's best not to argue because nothing is going to change. We have to wait and see who beats who, like how D'youville laid the smack down on Pickering. I am just hoping some of the teams that I believe should be on the list play members of the top 16 and see what happen.

No point in arguing.
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by Coach Philippe on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:23 pm

Thanks Coach Clement,

At the end of the day play on the floor is what counts and speaks for itself...
    Definitely not an easy job for Rick/Hooptown GTA to compile a list with a lot of data to
    compile and so many different games going on across the city.

Match-ups on the floor are truly what matters; the answers to who ranks where will come
    as the season progresses without a doubt!

Last edited by Coach Philippe on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:33 pm

Tango,

You are beginning to let your dis-like for me cloud your judgement in your arguements.

You wrote: "We have to wait and see who beats who, like how D'youville laid the smack down on Pickering."

I don't think d'Youville defeating Pickering 60-55 is considered a smack down.

Regarding the Super 16 and my "city bias"
    In the Super 16 Pre-Season rankings, out of the 16 teams ranked, 7 of them were from the 905 area. And then in the honourable mentions you had 4 out of the 7 teams from the 905 area.

You are correct, it's best not to argue, because all the teams have to do is prove it on the court.

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5294

Post by Coach Clement on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:35 pm

Coach Philippe,

With all respect for what you have done and continue to do, and I accept that you are not complaining. You are "presenting a case" a little.

Without naming names I feel you may be better than some teams ranked above you.

Still you have beaten the second group of teams and no one you have beaten is ranked above you.

You are ranked above the team that defeated you while short-handed and I acknowledge Taylor is a fine player.

I guess the argument would be strength of opponent. Coach I like and respect you although I do not believe we have met as yet.

Continued success and may good things keep happening for you and your team!

Please take these comments as constructive analysis. Much respect! Cool

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement
    old_school
    Freshman

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by old_school on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:40 pm

What type of team is Loyola, they were fairly quiet after Ryan Wright and Jamie Smith days but now its good to see them on the rise again... what type of game do they play?
    unknown1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2008-09-14

Post by unknown1 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:11 pm

even though they played well at the seneca sting tournament
    i dont think vaughan road should be on that list as of yet
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:38 pm

old school

Loyola won the Peel championship the year after Ryan Wright left.
    Tango
    Freshman

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post by Tango on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:31 pm

Rick, I am very surprised and disappointed that you think that I dislike you. As the moderator of this site it is even more disappointing that you would have written something as far fetched as that. What reason would I have to dislike you?

Because I disagreed with you doesn't mean that I don't like you. I don't even know what you look like. Frankly speaking, I amazed at how you think. Man, I like a good debate as long as it is respectful and I would like to think that I have always been respectful even though I may not agree with you. Please, don't make this a personal thing because I don't think that it is so important.

I agree that I exaggerated that D'youville laid the smack down on Pickering when the margin of victory was only 5.

Last edited by Tango on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:03 am

I think the top 10 is solid and spots 11-16 and the honourable mention spots will constantly change until some more games are played. We have the Eastern Commerce Holiday Tourney and the St. Mikes Tournament so some of those other teams will legitimately claim those positions by beating other ranked teams head-to-head. Right now all you can do is speculate. Any given day some of the teams ranked from spots 11 and downward can play well in some stretches and amaze...... then suffer a let down and get beat by another up and coming team that is hungry.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:08 pm

[quote="rerun"]I think the top 10 is solid and spots 11-16 and the honourable mention spots will constantly change until some more games are played. We have the Eastern Commerce Holiday Tourney and the St. Mikes Tournament so some of those other teams will legitimately claim those positions by beating other ranked teams head-to-head. Right now all you can do is speculate. Any given day some of the teams ranked from spots 11 and downward can play well in some stretches and amaze...... then suffer a let down and get beat by another up and coming team that is hungry.[/quote]

I think you have to add Rimrocker to the list. There are a lot of top-16 and honourable mention teams. Since most of the arguments seem to be from 5 or 6 below, that will be a good tournament to settle some of this for now.
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:12 pm

You're right! I forgot about the Rimrocker.
    HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:13 pm

December 10th:

#16 Vaughan Road 66 (Jonathan Reynolds 18 ) - Runnymede 51 (Denham Buchanan16)

HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:45 pm

December 12th:

#1 Eastern Commerce 63 - #12 Emery 47
    #4 Pickering 57 - #3 d'Youville 44

HooptownGTA
    HooptownGTA
    Hall Of Fame

Post by HooptownGTA on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:23 am

Exhibition game today at 3:00 pm @ Henry Carr

#10 Vaughan at #5 Henry Carr

Coach Bob
    Freshman

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

Post by Coach Bob on Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:19 am

EXHIBITION

Henry Carr 67 (Theon Reefer, 24), Vaughan 56 (James Choi, 16)

Current date/time is Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:49 pm