HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

Injustice in Toronto High School Basketball

Tdotball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2012-07-13

Injustice in Toronto High School Basketball Empty Injustice in Toronto High School Basketball

Post by Tdotball on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:30 am

Throughout the years i have come to notice a lot of injustice in the high school basketball system. The teams that are on top in the higher divisions are getting the most love, leaving no room for other teams who might also have great talent. For example Bishop Marrocco/ Thomas Merton went undefeated this season & won the TDCAA ''AA'' Championship and went to OFSAAA With six players and came in fourth place with the same six players. Now i've seen this team play and i should really inform everyone that they have some good talent on that team. Jonathan Layne, the number 8 point guard in canada plays for that team, but has not been invited to the all-canada classic but a player like Tramique Sutherland was invited, who is actually ranked below jonathan Layne on the rankings for Point guards in Canada. Now this come to show how the Hype of the schools in the higher division comes into play, Tramique goes to Henry Carr and Jonathan Layne goes to Bishop Marrocco, it's quite evident that they're going to choose a player who goes to the school which is more known. Now the real question, is this fair? How do we expect to get these underrated players some exposure if we continue overlooking them? Speaking as a coach, i've seen some Great players but a player Like Jonathan Layne who's been averaging 50 points a game in the senior level does deserve some credit. So please guys, let's a find a way to change this. Thank you Very, Coach Mike.
    actionjackson
    Freshman

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2010-05-23

Injustice in Toronto High School Basketball Empty Re: Injustice in Toronto High School Basketball

Post by actionjackson on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:55 pm

You call that injustice?
    Its kind of like a pro player playing in a small market. If they are good enough they will leave for a bigger market like New York, Chicago or LA. (Wayne Gretzky from Edmonton to LA)
    The kid should transfer to a school like Carr or a prep school in the USA.

Tdotball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2012-07-13

Injustice in Toronto High School Basketball Empty Re: Injustice in Toronto High School Basketball

Post by Tdotball on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:06 pm

not everyone can just get up and leave that easily..but i applaud the effort on trying to go against my argument
    actionjackson
    Freshman

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2010-05-23

Post by actionjackson on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:45 pm

It's not about going against your argument, I actually agree with you.
    But I disagree when you're calling it an "injustice", as if there is some kind of conspiracy against Jonathan Layne.

I believe you when you say he is a very talented player. If he wants to get exposure, he should find a way to be where he will be exposed. You can say all you want about Bishop Marrocco/ Thomas Merton's basketball team's credentials but at the end of the day, when it comes to exposure.... playing on that team will get you little to none (see your original point).

You said it yourself... "Now this come to show how the Hype of the schools in the higher division comes into play, Tramique goes to Henry Carr and Jonathan Layne goes to Bishop Marrocco, it's quite evident that they're going to choose a player who goes to the school which is more known."

According to your own logic... Wouldn't it make sense to go to a school in a higher division?

My opinion.... encourage the kid to be a "go-getter". Don't sit there whining and thinking there is some injustice against him. Where there is a will, there is a way. Whining about it is a total waste of time and quite frankly sounds like a cry baby.

nomullies
    Freshman

Number of posts : 39
    Registration date : 2012-02-25

Post by nomullies on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:56 pm

We played Bishop Morrocco and held Layne to 32 and lost by 8. From among the point guards we saw this year I would rate him slightly behind Notre Dame's Mullins (yes often a 2 here) and St. Francis' Polito. Then again we're not a power and didn't see some of the better teams.

Players going to the top programs for exposure has been happening for years. At least since the 70s. The difference now is the proliferation of choices. Players not only play high school and rep but also can go to basketball academies, AAU, etc. If you're a player you'll be found.

I'd love to see players play at their local high school, given all the additional ball they play. But while years ago they'd transfer mid-stream, the recruiting now takes place well before they get to high school. I don't really have a strong opinion either way. It is what it is.

I applaud Layne for staying at Morrocco. What their coach did with six players was exceptional. I'm sure Layne will do well at the next level.
    NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 338
    Registration date : 2009-10-31

Post by NEVAQUITNEVALOSE on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:47 pm

Hard to call it an injustice. If you are an EXCEPTIONAL player it doesn't matter where you play. Case in point Kevin Pangos. He went to Denison, but even if he went to some little single A school it wouldn't matter. I don't know who this kid is because I graduated years ago but if you want exposure you go to a big school that's just common knowledge.
    Coach Melnik
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 370
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Melnik on Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:01 pm

To the original poster...Really? Tramique has earned every opportunity he was afforded. End of story..no disrespect to any other player. Be happy for the successes of hard working student-athletes, not animous.

Current date/time is Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:23 am