HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

St. Michael's in Dairy Town Classic

Crabber
    Freshman

Number of posts : 106
    Registration date : 2011-11-13

St. Michael's in Dairy Town Classic Empty St. Michael's in Dairy Town Classic

Post by Crabber on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:05 pm

in New Brunswick. I have been wating a long time to see a top GTA team again a Top Nova Scotia team. Yesterday St. Michaels beat Auburn Drive 110-76. I have watched a lot of You-Tub clips of Nova Scotia teams & thought they were pretty good.

Here is a link to see scores & leading scorers.

http://www.dairytownclassic.com/everything2012.html
    Crabber
    Freshman

St. Michael's in Dairy Town Classic Empty Re: St. Michael's in Dairy Town Classic

Post by Crabber on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:27 pm

St. Micahael's beat Kennebecasic Valley 120-50 this afternoon & will play Riverside at 8:15 tonight in the semifinals.
    Crabber
    Freshman

St. Michael's in Dairy Town Classic Empty Re: St. Michael's in Dairy Town Classic

Post by Crabber on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:36 pm

Tonight's Semifinal's

SEMIFINALS - MEN
    Jean de Brebeuf 110, Auburn Drive 84
    Brebeuf: Joseph Chartouny 44, Alexandre Goulet, Abdul Atta 13
    Auburn Drive: AJ Simmonds 24, Davante Provo 18, Tyreece Ewing 16
    Game stars: Chartouny, Provo

St. Michael's 123, Riverview 43
    St. Michael's: Duane Notice 18, Malcolm Duvivier 16
    Riverview: Chris Murray 13, Stephen Ethelston 13
    Game stars: MJ Kisirye, Kyle McCluskey
    btownfan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2008-10-28

Post by btownfan on Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:35 am

Games are very lop sided.Can't see where this will improve St.Mikes game for the up coming playoffs / ofssa.Maybe the coaching staff see this as a good will trip for the St.Mikes basketball program.
    Crabber
    Freshman

Post by Crabber on Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:00 pm

Saturday, Feb. 4, 2012

Mens championship -- St. Michael's 105, Jean de Brebeuf 77
    St. Michael's: Duane Notice 35, Malcolm Duvivier 32
    Brebeuf: Joseph Chartouny 35, Abdul Atta 17, Alexandre Goulet 14
    Game stars: Notice, Chartouny
    Crabber
    Freshman

Post by Crabber on Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:05 pm

No games were close. For someone from the USA this proves what I guys you guys always knew and i was sure of. That is that the GTA is by far better than all of Canada. Last night I saw the #1 team in British Columbia & the #1 team in Alberta. Tonight they will play in the championship game. I was not impressed with either team.
    btownfan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2008-10-28

Post by btownfan on Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Crabber in defense of the team from Quebec I don't know if you know it but their high schools only go to grade11 thus on average their players would likely be 1 year younger than the St.Mikes players.But the maritime kids are the same age so the comparisons you make for them compared to the GTA teams is likely accurate.
    Crabber
    Freshman

Post by Crabber on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:50 am

I kind of excepted more out of Auburn Drive. I see those teams over their score a lot of points. Although Auburn I think is on #3 over their year.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5294
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement on Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Ontario has dominated at virtually all age-levels (boys and girls) for several years now!

BC is always good and Quebec can compete. The rest of the country is not on the same level but they do have some outstanding individual players just not the depth of talent you see in Ontario!

Follow me on twitter: @coachclement
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Coach Clement well said!

I know this will come off as Toronto-centric or as Ontario bias, but it is true.
    The other provinces have some outstanding individual players...(BC, Quebec, now more so in Nova Scotia as well), but, their high school teams as a whole don't match up as well.

North Pole hoops has a national high school poll right now that ranks the Top 25 schools in Canada according to their sources and information. It is kind of like the USA Today TOP 50 National High school rankings in America. It has representation from every province except Quebec, New Brunswick, New Foundland and P.E.I. It is very politically correct, but, not accurate. I admire what they are doing and I think it great idea. I'm all for making things bigger, better and more entertaining, however, you can't have a real high school poll and ignore the strength of Ontario and particulary the GTA.

St. Mikes is ranked as the number team one in the Nation or in all of Canadian High school basketball and they beat Auburn Drive (Nova Scotia), the 17th ranked team in Canada, 110-76 or by 34 points. Auburn Drive is ranked ahead of teams like Holy Trinity(Oakville) who has defeated St. Mikes and Catholic Central from Windsor who lost to St. Mikes by 20.

St. Mikes beat all the teams in the tournament by 30 plus points except the Quebec team in the final. It seems like nothing has changed since I played back in the day. My Pickering team went to a basketball tournament in British Columbia at Pitt Meadows. We played the #2, #5 and #9 teams in B.C. The scores were very similiar to the St. Mike's games. Pickering 110 Maple Ridge 78, Pickering 118 Pitt Meadows 73 (One the most respected programs in the province) and Pickering 102 Centennial 75 (the #2 team in the province). The people in BC thought for sure we were the best team in the Province of Ontario. We laughed at that thought. We were ranked in the Top ten in the GTA but were outside the provincial top ten that year.

The high school basketball here is stronger than the other provinces. If all the prep school players were still here, it would even be more apparent. I know high school basketball fans from other provinces hate to hear talk like that, however, it is true. It is not bragging or any attempt to put down basketball in other regions of the country. In the end, it simply is what it is!
    Crabber
    Freshman

Post by Crabber on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:52 pm

As a outsider from the States, you are 100% right. I have been following Canada basketball for about 5 years now. I first saw Eastern Commerece in the Beach Ball Classic and that when I got interested in the GTA. I have seen British Columbia games on the net and those teams do not impress me at all. As for the NothPole hoops ratings. I can't see anyone outside the GTA in the top 15. I know that Auburn Drive is 3 or 4 in Nova Scotia this year I would like to see some of their top teams. I saw Harry Ainlay last weekend and was not impressed either. I get people down here mad because I tell them that Toronto is the hot bed of hoops, and then I say just look at all the Prep schools they are loaded with kids from the GTA.

Current date/time is Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:32 pm